News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Nursing While At Faire

Started by FortuneRose, August 04, 2008, 10:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you find it offensive/inappropriate for someone to nurse while at faire?

Yes-always offensive
No-Never offensive
Only if uncovered
OTHER

FortuneRose

If you placed "other"  please explain.

Curious to see what others feel about the situation because I do have a nursing son and will be attending the festival.
(felt the family area was the best to post this)
LLVW

Trillium

OK...I said other only because I personally don't find it offensive if you do not cover up, but I do feel it is best if there is some sort of covering for the sake of children and others who may be offended if they notice.  Also to thwart off the off-color comments from drunks or other idiots.
Got faerie dust?

CatAshtrophy

I can only recall seeing somebody nurse once at faire. She was on a bench in the area of the women's restroom that was concealed from the rest of the faire. She was covered, but the restrooms did not spell good and it was boiling hot there. She and the baby must have been roasting. She seemed embarrassed at the bathroom line being right next to her. I would not have been offended in the slightest if the woman be somewhere where she and the baby wouldn't roast and have to smell the restrooms even if she wasn't covered. It can be awfully warm at faire to have to wear a blanket. Her baby's comfort and her own beliefs about breast feeding should matter most. 

anne of oaktower

Nursing is the most natural thing in the world.  Every other species does it without any embarrassment at all, so why should humans feel shame or be shamed?  I nursed both of my children anywhere I needed to, including in church.  (I didn't go to faire at that time, but I can assure you I would have nursed them there, as well!)  I did always have a light-weight blanket with me to drape across when necessary, but on those really hot days, a nice piece of lace works just as well.  It offers a modest bit of privacy while still allowing for comfortable air flow.

Good luck and cherish those moments!
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Hoowil

My wife nursed at faire. I'd suggest trying to be soemwhat descrete, just for your own comfort. I don't mean hide in the loo, but find a nice shady spot where you can relax. If anyone makes comments, justy say you're giving a demonstration on period baby feeding.  :)
I blows me away that so many people have issues with this (not necassarily here, but in general). Its natural, and the absolute best thing for you're child.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

nliedel

It's food from a special sweat gland. That's it. American's can be so funny about it. Just be discreet because drunken men are not always gentlemen and never feed your kid in the loo. I know I won't eat there. No one should.

Heck, with Herne (preemie, would not take to the breast) I pumped in the car. I didn't want to explain the whooshing sound to anyone :)
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

PurpleDragon

I think the key is to be discrete about it.  You cannot just "haul one out" and pop it in the kids mouth all "out there" like that.  Discretion is your best friend.

Though, I have personally witnessed a woman (non-caucasion descent) whose FIVE YEAR OLD walked over to her, opened up her blouse, opened the nursing cup on her bra and began feeding himself.  I don't know about you, but when the kid can "haul it out" for you, it's time to stop nursing them. 
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

anne of oaktower

Quote from: PurpleDragon on August 08, 2008, 12:07:12 PM
I don't know about you, but when the kid can "haul it out" for you, it's time to stop nursing them. 

Yep!  Kinda like that whole pacifier (binky, nuk, etc.) thing...when the kid is old enough to pull it out of his/her mouth in order to speak in a complete sentence, throw the blasted thing away!  I see so many parents these days who just don't know how to say, "You're a big boy/girl now...you don't need that anymore, it's just for babies." 
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

nliedel

Worldwide the average age of weening is two and a half. That means it's the norm in some countries to go much later.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

verymerryseamstress

Fortune Rose, at your request, I have already completed two new sketches for nursing bodice designs.  I'm hoping to make prototypes of them.  If you email me (at my regular email address) your measurements, I'll make them to your size and you can do a test run with them for me.   ;D
I'm your very merry seamstress.  How may I help you?

FortuneRose

Quote from: verymerryseamstress on August 13, 2008, 08:31:57 AM
Fortune Rose, at your request, I have already completed two new sketches for nursing bodice designs.  I'm hoping to make prototypes of them.  If you email me (at my regular email address) your measurements, I'll make them to your size and you can do a test run with them for me.   ;D

Ah, I LOVE being the test run guinea pig!  No seriously, I love it!   lol!  Kind of the same thing about the pregnancy cropped bodice.  Ah, fun times.  Once hubby gets home I'll be shooting over some measurements.
LLVW

FortuneRose

Quote from: nliedel on August 08, 2008, 11:45:06 AM
It's food from a special sweat gland. That's it. American's can be so funny about it. Just be discreet because drunken men are not always gentlemen and never feed your kid in the loo. I know I won't eat there. No one should.

Heck, with Herne (preemie, would not take to the breast) I pumped in the car. I didn't want to explain the whooshing sound to anyone :)

HAHAHA!  The "Whooshing sound"...  ah yes...  "don't mind me, I'm playing the part of a milking cow."  Thank goodness when I was still working there was a lactation room to use.
LLVW

Femme Falchion

Lady Rose...do what your comfortable with and let your heart be your guide.  You already know the answer to your question!

I was pulled over once for speeding while my hospital grade double electric breast pump was working away.....I had a great hands free system!   :) ;D

Domina Virago
Grand Mistress of the Order of the Hatchet
Mother Confessor
Sister of the Spring Fires

tigerlilly

I nursed my 5-month-old baby at TRF last year with no problems.  I try to be fairly discreet, but IMO if the chain-maille girls in thongs are a-ok then no one should have a problem seeing me feed my baby.  I made a chemise with a deep inverted front pleat like a nursing nightgown, and my bodice closed with hooks and eyes instead of laces.  Easier to get in and out of.  It was pretty darned obvious I was nursing, but I seriously doubt anyone could actually see anything.

Of course, now the wee bairn squirms and switches sides and plays "peekaboo" so much I wouldn't try it in public.  :D

verymerryseamstress

Rose, I have your new bodice cut out.  It may be a few days before I have a chance to sew it, but it should be done within a week or so.  :-)
I'm your very merry seamstress.  How may I help you?