News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Nursing While At Faire

Started by FortuneRose, August 04, 2008, 10:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you find it offensive/inappropriate for someone to nurse while at faire?

Yes-always offensive
No-Never offensive
Only if uncovered
OTHER

FortuneRose

Quote from: verymerryseamstress on August 15, 2008, 07:38:04 AM
Rose, I have your new bodice cut out.  It may be a few days before I have a chance to sew it, but it should be done within a week or so.  :-)

Wow, that was quick!  I'm really excited!
LLVW

Adriana Rose

When Little Bit was nursing we only went to fair for one day. But I wore an embroderd peasent blouse and my nursing bra.

I was lucky that I had a shop to go and nurse in but while working fair I have had several women ask if they could nurse in a quite spot and I have no problem letting them nurse in my shop!

I am totaly fine with nursing your baby in public but for the love of god please cover up your boob! I know its natural and all that jazz but still not every one needs to see your boob!

But for the nurseing mommy just ask a shop and they most likely will be more than happy to let you sit in a quiet spot, or in a dressing room.

FortuneRose

Quote from: Adriana Rose on August 17, 2008, 04:28:10 PM
When Little Bit was nursing we only went to fair for one day. But I wore an embroderd peasent blouse and my nursing bra.

I was lucky that I had a shop to go and nurse in but while working fair I have had several women ask if they could nurse in a quite spot and I have no problem letting them nurse in my shop!

I am totaly fine with nursing your baby in public but for the love of god please cover up your boob! I know its natural and all that jazz but still not every one needs to see your boob!

But for the nurseing mommy just ask a shop and they most likely will be more than happy to let you sit in a quiet spot, or in a dressing room.

I can see where you're coming from, but at the same time there are women in chainmail showing more than a nursing mother with a child attached and bodices far too tight pushing everything up for the world to see.....     And is it fair to say a child should be fed under a blanket when it is already 90+ degrees outside?   Don't get me wrong, I'll be finding myself a nice shady place that isn't the center of a crowd, show, or random entertainment...  but I don't think I should be making my child fry while he is trying to have a meal. 

::stepping off my soapbox::
LLVW

FortuneRose

Quote from: CatAshtrophy on August 04, 2008, 03:45:32 PM
I can only recall seeing somebody nurse once at faire. She was on a bench in the area of the women's restroom that was concealed from the rest of the faire. She was covered, but the restrooms did not spell good and it was boiling hot there. She and the baby must have been roasting. She seemed embarrassed at the bathroom line being right next to her. I would not have been offended in the slightest if the woman be somewhere where she and the baby wouldn't roast and have to smell the restrooms even if she wasn't covered. It can be awfully warm at faire to have to wear a blanket. Her baby's comfort and her own beliefs about breast feeding should matter most.  

That is my opinion as well.
LLVW

Blue66669

I nursed my daughter at TRF, and I was lucky enough to have a friend that was a booth owner with a back room. I was able to go into a cool private place to feed my daughter. Quite frankly, people out at TRF see more of me when I'm fully clothed in my garb than when I was nursing. I say, just find a semi-private place to do it, then get it done. If you feel the need, you may look into going to the first aid tent/building, because it's normally cool there, and it's very private and safe from drunkies.
Blaidd Drwg

FortuneRose

Quote from: blue66669 on August 19, 2008, 12:49:50 PM
I nursed my daughter at TRF, and I was lucky enough to have a friend that was a booth owner with a back room. I was able to go into a cool private place to feed my daughter. Quite frankly, people out at TRF see more of me when I'm fully clothed in my garb than when I was nursing. I say, just find a semi-private place to do it, then get it done. If you feel the need, you may look into going to the first aid tent/building, because it's normally cool there, and it's very private and safe from drunkies.
Thats a great suggestion!  Thank you, I didn't even think about that
LLVW

Trillium

Something I just thought about, using a sheer material for a cover-up instead of the heavier receiving blankets.  It will offer you a bit of modesty and still give the wee one plenty air circulation.
Got faerie dust?

tigerlilly

I never would have thought of the first aid tent!  What a great idea.  I will definately keep that in mind should the need arise, since Wiggles McSquirmybutt now insists that as much of Mommy be exposed as possible.

My main concern would be harrassment by drunks.  As for everyone else, if they can't stand the sight of reasonably discreet breastfeeding, then tough titty!

FortuneRose

Quote from: tigerlilly on August 19, 2008, 05:26:22 PM

I never would have thought of the first aid tent!  What a great idea.  I will definately keep that in mind should the need arise, since Wiggles McSquirmybutt now insists that as much of Mommy be exposed as possible.

My main concern would be harrassment by drunks.  As for everyone else, if they can't stand the sight of reasonably discreet breastfeeding, then tough titty!

Thats how my son is too.  He HATES being under a blanket or cloth of any sort.  I think a big part of this is because I've never covered him while feeding.  And now, if I try, he screams bloody murder!
LLVW

verymerryseamstress

Is the sight of a breastfeeding child really that offensive that we have to resort to burying our babies under heavy blankets to shield the eyes of those who are bothered at the sight of a human breast? 

Aren't the images of murder and war shown on the evening news much more disturbing than a breastfeeding mother?  Or have we become too desensitized to those images to notice?

Just take a minute to ponder:  Why are boobies offensive?  Why are breastfeeding babies offensive?  I don't understand why anyone would be offended at seeing such a normal, natural occurrence.  I thought we'd come a long way since the days of the Puritans, but maybe I'm wrong. 

We see boobies every day.  We've all got 'em.  Is it really such a big deal?
I'm your very merry seamstress.  How may I help you?

anne of oaktower

Not in my eyes, VeryMerry.  I breastfed both of my children, and would never trade that experience for anything in the world.  (Although there are days when I would now gladly trade these teenagers! LOL!)

There is something very natural and right about seeing a woman breastfeeding her child.  It tells me that all is not lost with this modern society.
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Celtic Lady

Quote from: verymerryseamstress on August 21, 2008, 07:33:26 AM
Aren't the images of murder and war shown on the evening news much more disturbing than a breastfeeding mother?  Or have we become too desensitized to those images to notice?

It's sad that we (in this country) have no problem with the violence shoved in our faces by the media industry.... music, movies, games, news, etc. yet the human body in it's natural state is considered wrong. In other countries they have no trouble with the human body. Violence is deplorable to them. I remember an incidence that happened in the UK where a group of boys (about 12 years old or less) stoned a 2 year old to death. The whole community was so appalled and in shock.

FortuneRose

Quote from: Celtic Lady on September 20, 2008, 06:50:55 PM
Quote from: verymerryseamstress on August 21, 2008, 07:33:26 AM

It's sad that we (in this country) have no problem with the violence shoved in our faces by the media industry.... music, movies, games, news, etc. yet the human body in it's natural state is considered wrong. In other countries they have no trouble with the human body. Violence is deplorable to them. I remember an incidence that happened in the UK where a group of boys (about 12 years old or less) stoned a 2 year old to death. The whole community was so appalled and in shock.

Ugh, my stomach just churned at that part of what you said.  Oh my goodness, I cannot imagine.
LLVW

PurpleDragon

I just got a GREAT idea for a new booth to open at every faire.  "The WetNurse", a safe haven for nursing mothers to be unharrassed and nurse their wee ones in private air conditioned comfort ;)  Hmmm.. what to charge for this, and would they faires allow it because it technically wouldn't be "period" as it were... Hmmmm... So much to think about and research... Hmmmmm
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Blue66669

Ok, PD, you and me can do this together!!!!

Mothers pay a 20.00 per day fee, get a wristband, and that would cover them for the entire day of feeding. We can make a back room, with big comfy chairs and a hidden AC and fans up in the ceiling behind a lattice. We could put a small window unit in and cover it with a grate and put it into a box near the ceiling or something like that. Cover the walls in fabric and the floors in rugs. Nice soft pastel colors, and lots of pillows. Nursing mothers only, fathers of course would be welcome as well. Other children would need different supervision, but of course, if there were nowhere else for them to go, we would not turn them away. We'd have to have a separate area where the kids could play ren games, like bean bags or something silly like that...

OMG...... can you smell the smoke coming out of my ears?????
Blaidd Drwg