News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Food... The grub we're dying for.

Started by Laird Fraser of Lovatt, July 26, 2015, 05:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trillium

Mmm, spam musubi, spam & eggs, spam & corn, spam & rice.  Spent several years in Hawaii!  You can find it in 5 star restaurants
Got faerie dust?

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Mmmm...fried spam... With eggs, over easy & two pieces of Texas toast...

Saturday dinner secured...anything else is a bonus.
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

LadyStitch

Quote from: Laird Fraser of Lovatt on August 23, 2015, 06:39:24 PM
Ok, Camp Food!!

What are people cooking?

Apple Brats Friday night (want beer brats but why waste good beer on cooking when you can drink it?)
Breakfasts are eggs, sausage and any left over cheese, lunch meat, brats, and onions from the previous meals
Then home made chili Saturday,  and Sunday is home made Chicken vegetable noodle soup.

What was annoying last year was that we had several people drop out at the last minute so we had Chili and Soup for 18  but only 12 stomachs.   Everyone around us had their own food, so it went to waste. 

BTW we have a case of Cornoa left over.  99% like to chew our beer.  Curious if the Cornoa could be used for the brats.......
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

sounds like a good use for Corona to me :)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

LadyStitch

Would they be any good in Corona?  We have always used a clearance or very cheap beer or cider for our beer brats.  (Save the Guinness for good stew :) )

Merlin the Elder

I wouldn't want to ruin my brats with Corona. It's hard enough to get down as it is...not the brats, the Corona.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

LadyStitch

Hence the reason the Corona has been a door stop for the front door for the past year instead of consumed. :)

Ok, so Apple Brats it will be !

Rani Zemirah

Hobo pockets are always good for camp food... especially if you have a lot of leftovers from the night before, and want to use them for breakfast the next morning.  Let everyone load their own with whatever sounds good, and bury them in the coals for a bit, and breakfast is ready!  They're especially good for ready made biscuits (from a tin), shredded or diced hash browns and sausages... and add scrambled eggs afterward.  Hash browns in first, on the bottom, then sausage (so the grease will help the potatoes cook... precooked is good, but raw will work, also), then biscuits on top before you fold over the foil and seal it all up.  Just leave a little room for the biscuits to expand, and toss some coals over the top and wait 15-20 minutes.  Mmmmm...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

I managed to find the Slammers... as i thought, these will be excellent hangover food. ;)
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

JackGonzo, MD

I was happy to find the big noodles back at the greek
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

julessweetie

Getting sooooo excited for Faire Food!!!!   

Question!  We are headed this weekend, which I know is a slow weekend for group camping.  It has been a few years since I have been out to camp...what is available food wise to purchase out at camp now?  Like already cooked ;). Lol

julessweetie

Soooooo...I couldn't get a response to the campground food options...sooooo I decided to cook!   After spending the day googling and tweaking a few recipes...I did a trial run on this one tonight and it cameout amazing!!!

Cut up and seasoned chicken thighs mixed with cream of mushroom soup
Pre cooked rice
Ranch dressing
Motzarella cheese
Heavy duty tin foil
Pam

2 sheets of foil per packet...spray Pam on the insides
Layer 1 - rice
Layer 2 - thick layer of Ranch Dressing
Layer 3 - cheese
Layer 4 - chicken mixture

Fold up packet and leave on coals for 20-25 minutes sooooooo yummy and kid approved!!!