News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Do I need to "dress" my bass?

Started by A Kindred Kilt, December 14, 2015, 01:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Kindred Kilt

Hello -

I play a modern acoustic electric bass and I was wondering if there were any guidelines on how it needs to be "dressed" for faire or am I ok with it being the way it is?
May you be a half an hour in heaven before the devil knows you're dead !

Merlin the Elder

Hey there, and welcome!

I find it no more out of place (and I certainly don't mean that negatively) than a modern acoustic guitar, which you will find an abundance of at faires. You should be fine. 

I might hang something from the neck for giggles. I'm a bassist myself...I'd probably hang a fish stringer with a fish or two — bass, of course — but then, as folks around here will confirm, I'm pretty out there.  :D

As a matter of aesthetics, it would be preferable, however, to go wireless, if you can afford it.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on December 15, 2015, 05:37:21 AM

As a matter of aesthetics, it would be preferable, however, to go wireless, if you can afford it.

that is the issue my son's band has, is not going with amplification; it's tough with all the noise around (the stage is in a metal shelter in a park with a concrete floor).  Wireless seems to work well for some of the bands I have seen (Saxon Moon, (old) Wine and Alchemy).  although I guess it is funny we are trying to stay 'period' while playing in a pole barn :)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

Going with amplification, it's easy to go overboard, unfortunately. Next thing you know, you're drowning out people two stages over.

It would be a good idea for some of the entertainment directors to be more cognizant of where they stage the quieter acts in relation to the heavily amplified ones.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

A Kindred Kilt

Thank thee both for the kind replies..

We are exploring the wireless option ourselves.. would prefer not to have a microphone stand between me and the audience..

And I LOVE the fish idea.. Bass of course !! :-)
May you be a half an hour in heaven before the devil knows you're dead !