News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire Favors?

Started by lady serena, March 10, 2017, 02:06:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lady serena

Are people allowed to give out faire favors at Bristol? I make little leather mugs that I hand out to people and MN doesn't have any rules that I know of, but unsure of Bristol. I don't want to get kicked out of faire for handing them out.
Guppy # 81
Fins up

Lady Renee Buchanan

We've gone to Bristol for 20 years and have always given out favors and never had any trouble.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

RefMom3

I had never gotten any favors at Bristol (that seems like a very weird sentence ;), and hadn't heard about the custom until I went to the Castle in Muskogee. The first year I was there, I ended up with a bodice-full of amazing favors, most of them from the Knights of Castleton, a group of men who form an unofficial sort of welcoming committee there. I love the idea.

Lady Renee Buchanan

We've even given favors to cast members and musicians, and they've worn them, so there shouldn't be a problem.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: RefMom3 on March 11, 2017, 10:38:29 AM
I had never gotten any favors at Bristol (that seems like a very weird sentence ;), and hadn't heard about the custom until I went to the Castle in Muskogee. The first year I was there, I ended up with a bodice-full of amazing favors, most of them from the Knights of Castleton, a group of men who form an unofficial sort of welcoming committee there. I love the idea.

They are done quite often at all the faires we attend (6-8 a year)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Alexandra Johanna

As I understand it, from observing what's gotten people in trouble in the past, is that favors given freely between adults is never a problem. Many of the playtron social groups have a pin-type favor that members are given, and some rennies have small favors they give out. I know I still have a favor sash somewhere in my storage totes with a few of them.  :)

Things get a little stickier with playtrons who distribute token gifts to children (i.e. dragon tears and such) because they are not employees of the faire, and liability questions arise if wee ones hurt themselves with said gifts. That said, many still do, but give tokens to the adult guardians to pass on to children present. The only time I've seen anyone get in trouble is when money changes hands on faire grounds between private parties for crafty goods or other things being sold by vendors.

As long as you're giving it away to people you know, it's all good.  ;D

RefMom3

I love the custom, and am sorry I've not seen it at Bristol. I hope I do run into someone sharing them; I would love to get one from there. For anyone who may find themselves in Muskogee at the Castle, look for the Knights of Castleton; Sir Rhys uses shrinky plastic into something really fun (not a statement I ever thought I'd make, but what the heck...).