News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Learn Musin

Started by litkar77, March 17, 2015, 04:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

litkar77

What is prefect age to learn music?

Merlin the Elder

3-4 years old is best. It's when a child is learning language, and music is a language of sorts.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

FredrikC

What do you mean by "learn music"?  While starting to play an instrument at that age is probably great, it's probably way too early to learn the theoretical underpinnings or the history of western music.  I also know of many people who started much later.

When my eldest daughter was touring the University of Michigan's music program, they asked all the potential students how long they had been studying.  Many of them said five to ten years.  However, my daughter said she'd been only studying for a year and a half.  (These kids were all high school juniors.)  The other kids looked at my daughter as if she wasn't a serious musician, but the people from the school said that FOR SINGERS, it is extremely normal to not start serious studies until their mid-teens.  Prior to that, the voice just hasn't developed all that much.  (It's also normal for them to not be able to get serious classical gigs until their mid-20s.  Again, the voice isn't there yet.)

Of course, she did have a Montessori education which (among other things) pushed reading music and Orff Schulwerk, so she knew how to read when she was very young.

I wouldn't tell anyone that they're too old to learn music.  And for the extremely young, make sure they're having fun and they have an instrument that fits their body.

Merlin the Elder

You are quite right about the age for vocalists, at least for certain types of music. I have read operatic singing can cause permanent damage, if pushed too far. I would imagine pushing the voice too hard in ANY genre could be harmful as well.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

a6ate

FredrikC is right. But if you want to play music, it is good to start at the age of pre-school in order to develop their locomotive ability in playing their instrument.

Captain Jack Wolfe

Pre-school? Really? I didn't start playing until age 11 and I had quite a nice musical career all the way through university. First chair starting my sophomore year of high school in concert, marching, and jazz band, and never gave the seat up until I graduated uni. You develop the locomotive ability and muscle memory and technique - and let's not forget embouchure for wind instruments - through practice. That's what it's for.

You can learn to play an instrument at any age. You can learn any creative endeavour, for that matter. Don't let anyone discourage you from trying. The world is full of late bloomers. So get blooming.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus