News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pattern questions. Please help!

Started by lydster, October 19, 2017, 07:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lydster

Hi everyone! I've been driving myself crazy all day trying to Google research what I'm trying to do, to no avail.  I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

First things first, I'm making a whole outfit for the first time ever.  I have some experience sewing and my mom has been really helpful (she's got about 30 years of experience under her belt) but she's in another state so my help is limited.  That being said, I was looking up inspiration pictures that I might want to base my garb off of and I fell in love with the looks that Mary Sibley from the tv show Salem wears.  I know it's corny.  ;D

So I looked around on the internet for patterns for a dress similar to the one I'm trying to imitate and I didn't find anything that I liked.  I guess I'm going to have to make my own pattern, which I have no idea how to do.  I'll post a link or a photo of the dress that I love below this but my questions are as follow:

How does one make their own pattern? Can you buy a bulk amount somewhere of that thin tissue paper that most patterns are printed on?

On the dress I'm using for inspiration, the front panel part seems very flat.  I don't know how to achieve that look.
  Is that just boning or is it some sort of actual firm panel thing sewn between two pieces of fabric?

I understand how to create all the individual parts of this dress (sleeves, bodice, skirt, other... over.. skirt thingy) but I don't know if any of them are sewn together or if they're all individual parts.  Help?

I realize the dress below may seem ambitious for someone at my skill level but I'm planning to pour all my free time into this because I really really want to do this. Thanks in advance!!

Lady Renee Buchanan

This dress looks very similar to two discontinued Simplicity patterns, #s 8881 or 3782.  They have shoulder rolls, but you could leave them off.

Both patterns are for sale on EBay.  It might be easier to modify an existing pattern than trying to create a completely new one.  Really, both of this are very similar to the dress you want.  Try to picture it in the colors you want, but the shape is there.  Post pictures!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

lydster

3782 is the winner!  It's exactly what I was looking for.  I don't know how you knew that but I'm eternally grateful! :) :) :)

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: lydster on October 19, 2017, 11:39:38 PM
3782 is the winner!  It's exactly what I was looking for.  I don't know how you knew that but I'm eternally grateful! :) :) :)

Because I bought it!  I don't sew, but I always thought I would someday.  I began with simple skirts and a couple of Aline medieval dresses, but I can honestly say, I wasn't good at it and didn't really improve.  Since I have friends who are professionals, I gave up my sewing career and gave the fabrics and patterns I had to them.  My forte is elsewhere!  I don't know where, but it definitely isn't sewing!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich