News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Reporting for Duty

Started by BubbleWright, June 22, 2018, 09:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbleWright

Where to start? There have been no postings on this thread since September 2016. There has been a marked decline in postings in Renaissance Festivals Forums overall and many attribute this to people migrating to the Book of Face. I posted in this thread regularly and often from 2009 through 2015, then nothing. For myself it was not Facebook that drew me away. Rather it was a number of other circumstances. My trip to PARF is 70 miles one way mostly on secondary roads with speed limits 25 to 45 MPH. Halfway through the 2015 season a bridge closing added another 20 miles to my trip. I really got to hating the drive to Faire. When in the 2016 Season PARF deleted its Royal Season Pass and attendant parking privileges, I decided not to get a regular Season Pass. Instead I would visit only a few times, which would allow me to pursue other activities in the  time period. Bad weather and health problems caused cancellation of the times I planned to visit. So, in 2016 I never attended PARF. In 2017 I attended Faire only twice. Both times the Faire more than lived up to my expectations. Hopefully this year I will be able to visit more often... and report what's happening.
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

I wish you the best of luck and health and that you can attend parf.  I'd love to attend but I'm quite a great distance from y'all. maybe one day ..... I too wish things would pick up around here. I can't see the book of faces making R/F that obsolete . I look forward to anyone posting and/or sharing photos. That's the highlight of my day outside of faire.
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are---
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Merlin the Elder

Better luck this year, Laddie. I miss a lot of the folks who used to come here, some not so much. I do keep up with a lot of them on the Book of Faces, but it's so toxic there sometimes, unfortunately reflecting a world that is changing around us.

It's peaceful here.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

RefMom3

One of my cousins lives in Philadelphia, and she's invited us to stay with her and visit the faire. She's married to and Englishman who can't understand the fascination these Americans have with the whole phenomenon ;) I'd love to go with them just to see his reaction to it all ;)

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: RefMom3 on June 25, 2018, 12:00:23 PM
One of my cousins lives in Philadelphia, and she's invited us to stay with her and visit the faire. She's married to and Englishman who can't understand the fascination these Americans have with the whole phenomenon ;) I'd love to go with them just to see his reaction to it all ;)

That's really funny.  My husband is English, and he loves faire.  From day 1, he wanted to dress up.  He is a typical stuffy Englishman (but lovely and wonderful!), yet faire is something we both enjoy equally.  Now the rest of his family, all still living in England, thinks we are crazy nuts, and they think that Yanks (and him) pretending to be in olde England is hysterical.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

RefMom3

I think your last sentence probably matches Barry's opinion, Lady Renee ;) I don't remember if my cousin Dawn has ever said they'd been to the faire yet, but Barry seems to think we're all a bit whackadoodle...but in a good way ;)