News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What Could Faires Or Rennies Do To Help?

Started by Craigmeister, November 07, 2021, 01:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigmeister

What would you like to see changed for the better or see more of in the Renfaire world?  I'm planning to make some Public Service Announcement videos and would like to have some good topics.  I don't want to "pick on" a situation at any one or any chain of faires, I'm just looking for things in general.  (No, not free drinks or ears of corn.)

For my first video, I plan to encourage people to volunteer to help at faires.  What else would be good in your opinion?
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

costume rentals ?? larger variety.. just a thought
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are---
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Craigmeister

I LIKE that, Lord Argyl.  Grammercy.  There are far too few faires that do that in and around Oklahoma.  I am unsure about the rest of North America.  It would certainly lead to more patrons dressing up for a day or for the rest of their lives once they experience how fun it is.

Another topic I thought of late last night was to encourage patrons to tip performers and belt out more hearty "Huzzahs".  I usually only hear those at taverns (for tippers) and at the lists.

What other great ideas are out there???
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

groomporter

Better, more accurate site maps rather than the caricature-like cutesy maps in most programs. With Google maps aerial views to use as a template it shouldn't be that hard to create a more accurate map, and then make it attractive.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Ginette

Quote from: groomporter on November 07, 2021, 03:45:29 PM
Better, more accurate site maps rather than the caricature-like cutesy maps in most programs. With Google maps aerial views to use as a template it shouldn't be that hard to create a more accurate map, and then make it attractive.

I work and attend only 1 faire and a better map of the camping grounds would be great! With tree cover and the ever growing (I'm grateful for the growing) I am easily lost and not always sure where to direct others.
Weddings & Events at Sherwood Forest Faire.
PR for life!

BubbleWright

Perhaps in addition to printed maps, have strategically placed map boards at lane intersections around the Faire with "X- You are here".  Building IDs would be wood blocks that could be swapped out as needs be.
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Craigmeister

The theme in the answers is better maps.  Grammercy, everyone!  I'll create a PSA video for that.

What else do you good people have for me?

Craigmeister

Here is my first PSA video.  It is much shorter than any I've created before.

I have 2 more recorded but unedited.  There are 2 more to film and edit after them.  I hope you enjoy them and I hope that they can make a positive impact on the Renfaire world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYR5PvouZV0

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

Craigmeister

Grammercy, Lord Argyl.  Here is my PSA asking more events and vendors to rent garb at Renfaires.  Thank you for the idea.  It is one aspect of getting into the feel of being transported back in time that is often overlooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzT3FzGAkzE

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

Great PSA Meister..... so glad you put that out there.

groomporter

With the age of some fairs it might be neat if they presented a little more of their own history. At MNRF for example Penn & Teller, The Flying Karamazov Brothers, actress Tovah Feldshuh from The Walking Dead was apparently the first queen at MNRF https://mn70s.tumblr.com/post/60871289477/actress-tovah-feldshuh-and-co-founder-george

I think they could probably make it better known the literary connections they have. At least I assume the other big fairs have as many. MNRF has several sci/fi fantasy writers who have been participants like Stephen Brust, Emma Bull, Dana Baird. They tried having some authors readings a few years ago in the "Irish Cottage", but I don't think it got much promotion and only lasted the one year.

Speaking of authors... For fairs that require crafters to sell wares that they make themselves I think a history-focused book shop should be an important exception so there would be a source for Renaissance related research books right there on site for clothing, patterns, crafts and history in general for people who are into the history end.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Craigmeister

I'm glad I could help, Lord Argyl.  I just hope more people across the country start watching my PSA videos.

Those are good ideas too, groomporter.  I can suggest that faire organizers put a page on their websites with written, or even better, a link to videos of their histories.  I've been going to the Oklahoma Renfest for 20 years now.  It doesn't look anything like it did in its earlier years. 
  I'm sure the really big festivals are in the same boat.  TRF has a blog now that I enjoy listening to.  There are many episodes dedicated to its history and the history of its performers and vendors.

There used to be a booth with books at OKRF and I've seen it at the OK Scotfest in years past.  They had lots of European history in them.  Adding books with garb patterns would be keen.  I know that I've had ideas about my garb while at faires but I can't sew, so I just have to look for items to buy or pay someone to make for me.  I'll add these to my list of PSA's this winter.

Grammercy, you two!

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

Craigmeister

Here is my 3rd PSA.  It lets people know how much volunteers are needed at Renfaires.  Now I need to go film some more PSA's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CREXhEazSUs

Lord Argyl of Lochdubh

Great PSA Meister.... thanks for getting the word out.