News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Touch'n me cutlass

Started by Obadiah Jib, August 12, 2008, 11:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obadiah Jib

So when I was at the Duluth Tall ship event I had a bunch of kids ask me if my cutlass was "real".  I get this question a lot (Do you?).  I never know what the kids are thinking.  Is the weapon sharp?  Made of plastic?  An illusion caused by my voodoo powers?  So I invite them to touch the sword on the handle, guard, or pummel.  My blade is "peace-tied" so no harm can come to either them, me, or the nearby parents.  Their grubby little mitts do leave oily marks on the sword but a keep a thick layer of Renaissance Wax on it.  Most notice it's heavy but it doesn't answer that question "Is it real?"

What about you?  What is your answer?  Do you let strangers exam your cutlery?
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Angus

I never let anyone touch my weapons.
...unless they have a Badge, and are asking "Officially".

If they are "kids", (under 18) and ask "Is that Real?" I say yes, and keep moving.  If they are adults, (over 18) I stop, and talk a little more and we discuss weapons.

"Fingerprints cause rust spots on blades", and most people touch the blades...

I carry several weapons, Rapier, Main Gauche, Eating knife, 2 throwing knives, and a Sgian Dubh.
(...I might have a few hidden.)
Chief cook, and bottle washer...

Rage

I stopped carrying my daggers altogether. I am thinking about carrying my swords but I am not sure I even want to do that.

Will Gamwell

This past summer was the first time I have ever carried a sword.  I got asked a lot by kids if it was real, almost everytime followed by the "Can I hold/see it?" question.  Luckily I was in parades while carrying it, so it was very simple to ignore the question or just say no and keep moving. 

I have plans to purchase and carry a blade this year.  Haven't really thought about how I would handle the question in a festival situation.  Although I think it would be an easy question to reply to given the peace-tie policy.

maelstrom0370

"Hey! Is that sword/knife/dagger/axe real!!??"

"Lemme see your fingers and I'll show you!"

escherblacksmith

depending on the audience I do something like:

"yes it is real, but I shall not draw, for it is better to kill than be killed, maim than to kill, injur than to maim, restrain than to injur, talk than restrain.  Which is what we are doing right now."

takes them a while to work through that.

by then I am halfway to somewhere else.

Addendum: it is with my Claymore usually that I get asked
--

Mad Irish

I try to answer with "What sword?" or "No.".

Obadiah Jib

Now when I let the kiddies touch the cutlass it remains in the scabbard and all peace-tied.  They only get to touch the pummel, quillions, or guard.  I never draw the blade for people to see except when I'm having a drink at Mad Irish's Birthday party!

As an entertainer I try to be pretty nice (some might debate that!) to all who attend the festivities.
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Amra the Lion

I just purchased a new Jody Samson blade and had him sharpen it before delivery. When i got it i was amazed at how sharp it was and would be very leery about letting anyone not familiar with edged weapons touch the sword. This thing could easily and with little effort cut an arm or leg off so yes, it's definitely real!

I'm proud of the sword and am in the process of making a scabbard so I can wear it proudly but because of the curve of the blade it may take me longer than I would like to complete it and I may miss out on bringing it to a fair.

I love the answers I've seen here and plan to plagiarize a few!

Here she be, meet Amra:

Capt. Bacardi

Well I let the little ones touch the handle if they ask, it is peace tied so that is all they can see. Teenagers get the "Yes it is" then I usually walk away, do not trust them not to try and pull it out.....
BLOODY HELL!!!!
..It is only a flesh wound..
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Blackjack Roberts

Little ones I would answer with, "Aye, that it is." It as kept securely peace tied, and is a battle ready sword, but I would be a bit leary as letting them touch it. The basket has a rather sharp cutout pattern that could cause a bit of damage to unknowing fingers.

Molden

Like BJR - me standard response be "Aye, that it is!" an leave 'er go at that.

As t' touchin' it, me response is "Oy! Dinna be touchin' me blade lessin' ye mean business!".

Twice I've been challenged by danes as t' the authenticity of a Pyrate wot keeps 'is blade peace-tyed... I usually dim bulb an' eyebrow an' sez "It keeps me natural inclination t' introduce a few feet o' cold steel t' yer scurvy guts at bay t'day!".

My cutlass be made by the same makers of the U.S. Marines' NCO and Officers' swords. It does indeed have a razor edge. Thus I refrain from flashin' it about the uninitiated.
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

anne of oaktower

Quote from: Molden on August 15, 2008, 10:36:45 AM
Twice I've been challenged by danes as t' the authenticity of a Pyrate wot keeps 'is blade peace-tyed... I usually dim bulb an' eyebrow an' sez "It keeps me natural inclination t' introduce a few feet o' cold steel t' yer scurvy guts at bay t'day!".

Try this response:  "Me blade is peace-tied because security 'asn't yet figgered a way t' peace-tie yer tongue!"
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

RumbaRue

This is something that happens at EVERY EVENT!

Constantly telling kids you can look, but not touch.

Never pull your weapons out unless SECURITY asks to see it. Always be sure and piece-tie every friggin' sharp-pointy thing on you. People are stupid and I've seen more than my fair share of idiots trying to pull weapons out of scabbards.

It really doesn't matter whether the sword is of true fighting work or just an added look to your garb.......it's still got an edge, which means it's real.

Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Angus

"If I pull her from her scabbard, she cannot go back to bed, with out tastin BLOOD!!"
Chief cook, and bottle washer...