News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Remember Showtime filming at CRF last year?

Started by will paisley, August 15, 2008, 11:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

will paisley

Well, the show comes on next week.  It's  an episode of Penn and Teller's "Bulls**t" about nostalgia.  From the trailer they ran tonight, it seems to be making fun of anything implying that the "good old days" were better than the present (such as a Renaissance Faire).  If you see any reruns of this week's show about World Peace, they may show the trailer again immediately after the episode.
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

Lady Tess

I was at CRF every Saturday & Sunday last year, but I do not remember seeing any filming going on. Hmm, weird! Were Penn & Teller there??? That woulda been awesome to see them.

will paisley

Quote from: Lady Tess on August 23, 2008, 03:32:45 PM
I was at CRF every Saturday & Sunday last year, but I do not remember seeing any filming going on. Hmm, weird! Were Penn & Teller there??? That woulda been awesome to see them.

Neither Penn nor Teller were there -  just people from Showtime.   You might want to watch this episode before concluding how "awesome" it would be to see them.  Given the hatchet job they did, be thankful they were careful to edit "Carolina" out of the "Renaissance Festival" signs in their front gate shots.

Lady Tess

Is showtime the channel? I don't think I get that channel.

renfairewench

I did see some people that my husband and I know make an appearance or two in the spots that they showed on BS episode. I thought for sure that Penn and Teller were going to make mincemeat out of the faire and the people, but actually they didn't. I guess it's because both Penn and Teller got their start working at Ren Faires. Anyway, we tivo'd it and will watch it again! :D
Dame Dulcinea Deveraux - My friends call me Lady Double D
Awww...ooooo...shiny...must...have!

will paisley

Quote from: renfairewench on September 04, 2008, 11:59:18 AM
I did see some people that my husband and I know make an appearance or two in the spots that they showed on BS episode. I thought for sure that Penn and Teller were going to make mincemeat out of the faire and the people, but actually they didn't. I guess it's because both Penn and Teller got their start working at Ren Faires. Anyway, we tivo'd it and will watch it again! :D

I guess I've got a much different view of it, knowing what some of the people actually said, how it was turned around, and how Showtime manipulated both the solicitation of people and how they appeared on the show.  While their treatment of the rennies was not as harsh as that of the 50s people, that's primarily because they couldn't find anybody to stand up and say "Hi, I'm Joe Doublet, and I want to live back in the Renaissance!"  In fact, they had to manufacture some of the positive responses they got from the invasion dinner (which they then trash as nonsense by having a professor quote historical facts from an entirely different period).

As hatchet jobs go, it's fairly mild, but for a show which hits the viewer over the head with words like "truth", "facts" and "reason" during the opening credits, it's intellectually dishonest.  As I've said in numerous forums, there are plenty of things to make fun of rennies about - so many, in fact, that it's silly to have to make new reasons up like this program did.  I just wish that, if people are going to make fun of me and my friends, they'd do so for the right reasons.