News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Making a fan

Started by LadySeasan, August 16, 2008, 07:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadySeasan

I would like to know if there are any resources for making a fan, not the closeable ones, but the type that stays open.

i purchased some wooden squared dowels and figured to just cross the ends, and wrap the fabric around,

but if there are any websites or suggestions, id greatly appreciate it :)
Clan M'Crack-Season M'Crack

lady serena

Here are 2 sites that I was able to find. I think the second one is better as it has pictures and detailed instuctions. Hope this helps.

http://www.directcon.net/wander/fan.htm

http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_fans.htm

Guppy # 81
Fins up

tigerlilly

I recently made a feather fan that was a combination of several styles I'd seen online.

The handle is a wooden spatula from Hobby Lobby.  I shortened the handle a couple of inches, drilled a hole in the end for a ribbon, and stained it.

When the stain was completely dry (24h at least) I used "craft and costume" glue to glue down a layer of 6-inch turkey (?) quills to serve as a base.  I had to trim the long ends to get it all to fit neatly.  Next I filled it in with a layer of cheap "fluffy" feathers.  On top of that I added the black goose feather thingies and ostrich eyes.  Be sure to let the glue dry a couple of hours in between layers of feathers.  When everything was dry I hot glued some trim (about half a yard?) around the base of the handle to cover up the ends of the feathers.  Lastly I craft-glued (I tried hot glue first, but it fell off) a small mirror to the back and threaded a ribbon and tassel through the handle.  All the supplies, including the tiny bottle of water-based wood stain, came from Hobby Lobby.

In the pictures the fan is propped up on a phonebook as it dries because the feathers are curved and it did not rest flat on the table.

I think I spent about $25 for the feathers and everything, but I have enough left over to make a couple more fans.   

LadySeasan

that is a very nice fan tigerlilly :)

now when you fan yourself, does it create a nice breeze? i am looking to make a fan for style and use, i dont want to be sweating up a storm in my garb, lol

Anna Iram

Well done Tigerlilly. I like that very much! I was poking about in Michaels the other day looking for something to make a fan base with and seeing a wooden spatula thought...hmmm close but I can't quite make that work. Seems you figured out how!

tigerlilly

Thank you for the compliments.  It was sort of an experiment, but I'm happy with the way it turned out.

I haven't tried using it at faire yet, but it does make a nice breeze.  It works better than the fluffy ostrich-feather fans, which imo are mostly for show.  It's made from stiff wing feathers, and moving air is what wing feathers are for, after all!  ;)

LadySeasan

Quote from: tigerlilly on August 20, 2008, 12:57:01 PM
Thank you for the compliments.  It was sort of an experiment, but I'm happy with the way it turned out.

I haven't tried using it at faire yet, but it does make a nice breeze.  It works better than the fluffy ostrich-feather fans, which imo are mostly for show.  It's made from stiff wing feathers, and moving air is what wing feathers are for, after all!  ;)

good point..now i wish that i didnt spend all my money on fabric and supplies lol,