News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

TRF Campground Wishlist

Started by mpullen, August 17, 2008, 07:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpullen

Okay, we live our Faire time in a fantasy world, so this is a fantasy question.

If there was no limit, what would you want in the Playtron campgrounds?

I guess some items are:

Flushing toilets
Showers (and gasp, with hot water)
Water faucets
Dump station for RVs
Security fencing to keep non-campers out (this is a real toughie).
Campgrounds availability beyond Faire season.
Tavern/B&B at border of campgrounds with one access to Faire during season, but otherwise closed to Faire access. This would have mixed Playtron/Participant/Vendor rooming.

I need concrete suggestions. If you don't have a positive suggestion, please don't bother to respond. If I am to invest in a long term project, I need to know what the support base might be.

BobSmith

Room and board on-site seems like a good idea to me.  To keep it "theme-like" it could be rough built, simple, not like a Best Western, but more like a bungalow or cabin or maybe even a multi-floor structure with long hallways leading to spartan, theme-oriented rooms.  Maybe a basin with a water jar in the room...large down mattresses...  Of course, I'm thinking running water (hot even) but it could be piped to the rooms in an unconventional manner...something in keeping with faire style.  I've seen very creative ways of introducing modern conveniences to the faire while still hiding exactly HOW it's done.  I'm sure the powers-that-be can devise some really cool and theme-oriented lodging on-site.

Keeping the "undesirables" from the camp grounds is another matter all together.  They use to check people at the gate for tickets, but the possession of a ticket does not ensure adherence to any sort of societal standards.  Also, what one person considers unacceptable conduct might seem normal to someone else so even if you do "check tickets" that does not mean that you'll keep out people who irritate you.

So, my only vote is for on-site lodging.
There is no offense if none is taken.

wyckdblyss

I vote for flushing toilets and showers!!!!!! Sorry, I got spoiled the year I worked faire and camped in particpants camping  ;D Actually, I would be willing to forego the showers (many ways to work around that for myself) if there are flushing toilets...nothing worse than a port - a - potty that has not been emptied yet on a very hot day  :(
WyckdBlyss,
Royal Order of Lansharks Guppy No. 70

Zaubon

WATER! In all it's forms.
If we can get just spigots in the campgrounds that would be wonderful.
Once we have water the steps to flushies, showers and RV dumping are much shorter. I want all of them I will fight/pay more/make reservations, whatever it takes to have water.

Something to keep the 22 going on 14 children out would be a great help, but that is going to correct itself. Sooner or later the antics of that crowd are going to cause King George to lose a massive lawsuit. Then he will either eliminate camping or keep the rowdies that are only there to raise h*ll under control.

Pat McGroin

I'm going to have to agree with Zaubon on the water, it is a major must when cooking and cleaning up afterwards. Dump station for R/V's would really be nice after a long weekend and have to pull a fully loaded 5th wheel camper back to Louisiana if we can't find a place to empty our tanks.
I'm the Carpenter aboard the Bayou Scoundrel,
The Keeper of FIREWATER!!!
I.F.R.P. #1447

LadyShadow

Although I havent camped at TRF, yet, I would have to agree with the water.  I usually go camping at state parks and am used to a primitive area to camp.  And then a walk to a shower and flushing toilet.  So there are few of them and they are rarely close to camps.  But they are there if needed which is always a wonderful thing.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Justin

I would pay a higher camping fee for a central bathroom facility and some way to dump water.

I don't think there is a practical way to keep the non-faire attendees out but we'd pay extra for that too.  They annoy us.  If they would just act right it wouldn't be an issue.  I drive 4 hours to get intoxicated with you fine people, not put up with disrespectful teenagers at a bonfire.  You can see that anywhere.

I think I've read that it wasn't practical to show faire tickets to get into the camping gate.  But what about this idea:  Up the camping fee significantly and then discount that amount at the ticket window to those with a camping receipt.  You would still have the flexibility to choose which day(s) you go to the faire.  I don't know.  I'm just thinking aloud.

Catherine DArtois

WATER!!!! That stuff is heavy to carry and takes up packing space I could use for firewood!
Campfire Chili Mistress
Clan McLotofus

mpullen

Well, here's a thought about guest/visitor control in the campgrounds.

Every vehicle requires either a camping permit or a visitor permit.

The visitor permit(s) must be purchased by someone who has purchased a camping permit. The visitor permit will cost the same, but when turned back in as the visitor leaves (say by 10 or 11 PM), then the fee is returned. No visitor permitted vehicles will be allowed in the camping area after this cut-off time.

Also, the camping fee is for a vehicle and up to four adult occupants. For every adult over this four, an additional $2 is charged. Since the camping fee is to recoup the costs of cleaning up after people and not cleaning up after vehicles, if a vehicle (say a bus) has more people, then more trash will be generated.

I have other ideas, but they would entail some costs to TRF management, so I won't bring them up (still missing the flowers around the area and the Maypole).

As I stated in the first message, this is purely a fanstasy discussion.

ScoutColt

A sturdy wooden fence around the bonfire, and several permanent trash cans there as well. Tired of seeing the destruction of the grounds every morning I walk by there.

A pond. It doesn't need to be swimmable or anything like that. I think of it kinda like the maypole. There needs to be a few "peaceful" gathering points for people beisdes in our camps.

A pavillion wouldnt be bad. When I was at Pennsic they had a very large barn where anyone could hold dances, games, basically hold exhibitions or just gather in groups when it stormed. It only has three walls, though it had power. It wouldnt be hard to bring a generator out to light it up.

I'm a big fan of making it easier for folks to meet in a central location, making it easier to meet new people.

Running water would indeed be a godsend. I'd love to see electricity run in, but until they make areas reserved camping (so that power fees can be paid up front) thats not really possible.

A no mans land "field arena" wouldnt be bad. Amptgard people could show off for spectators, bocci ball, and all kinds of other group events. (loki legspreader freeze tag... whoever showed me that wonderfully hilarious game at excal... I owe you a drink)

Queen Bonnie

I would need to meet a wizard with a motor home!  That is my camping TRF wish!Then I would camp at TRF.I know I miss a lot of fun- but not into camping alone.
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Justin

Not sure if ScoutColt was referring to a wooden fence to enclose the fire and spectators or just the fire and performers.  But since the performances get disrupted so many times as the crowd inches in, I too would like to see some sort of boundary where people could stay back and not crowd the performers.  This is also good for anyone who gets there early and set up chairs.

I would think that a short barrier a couple feet high would get the point across and still make it accessible for performers.  On the other hand, I could also foresee drunks toppling over it into the fire.  Hmmmm.  Well kudos... err that is "Huzzah" to anyone who figures out a solution.  The bonfire has such potential to be entertaining if these little things can be resolved.

mpullen

Quote from: Justin on August 23, 2008, 09:05:54 PM
The bonfire has such potential to be entertaining if these little things can be resolved.

Well Justin. 10 years ago, the central bonfire was a great place for drumming, dancing, and just having a great time. Even as early as 3 years ago it wasn't too bad. Then began the flood of folks only interested in getting drunk/stoned for free and giving the women a very bad time.

I have some good ideas for improving the whole situation, but the solutions will cost money. Based on my observations of TRF, the profit overrides the expenses. If the cost won't generate a large revenue, then the idea is dropped. As a manager in a $300M/year business (which bought a portion of General Electric two years ago), I can see the reasoning in this. As a renfaire addict who loves to camp, it upsets me.

ScoutColt

The way to approach working fixing the bonfire would be more safety and thus less liability to the faire itself... at least thats how I'd approach george with it. Because regardless of what those lil stickers say that say they aren't responsible.. they are handed out and watched responsibly enough for that to work if someone was intent on sueing them... and I'm sure they know that so the safety angle would probably play real big in getting things done.

Aiacha

I'm all for running water.  I can give or take flushies, but with running water (with reliable pressure) people can set up their own showers, whether it's a zodi or one that is directly fed from the hose with propane to heat it (I need to find the name of it!!).  Of course, having running water would probably affect the layout of the campsite, as in how do you control how many connections are made to a spigot to keep up water pressure.

As this is a fantasy list, I was always a fan of the suggestion to open a "period" pub within patrons camping.  It could be run by a catering company, offering a handful of dining options (easy stuff like fish and chips, or stews) plus some drinks on tap (beer, mead).  Now that they have the quickiemart onsite, I could easliy see them combining both of these places into a single structure.