News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Jewelry

Started by Peaches McGee, August 17, 2008, 12:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peaches McGee

I am trying to put together some jewelry to wear with my new garb.  The garb is fairly simple...chemise, bodice and two skirts.  I've never gone to a faire in garb before.  I'm wondering if it will look strange if some of the jewelry I have is VERY  shiny silver.  I don't want to wear it if it won't look period.  Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Peaches

isabelladangelo

How simple of a bodice/skirt ensamble are you looking at?  Most lower classes did not own any jewlery since any gem/metal would have been $$$.   Any money set aside for vanity/beautification would have gone into the dyes and maybe some simple embroidery.

However the middle class?  Gawdy as I'll get out.   ;D

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/English/EventsExhibitions/Permanent/TudorEarlyStuart.htm

Peaches McGee

I think I'm going for more of a middle class look.  I have a beautiful (faux) antique garnet pendant.  The garnet is approx. one inch in diameter.  It is surrounded by marcasite.  I'll definitely be wearing that on a non-shiny silver chain that matches very well.  I also have a couple of silver and garnet bracelets that go really well too.  I have a REALLLLLLY LONG shiny silver necklace that I was considering wearing around my waist as a chain belt.  It has little silver discs hanging off of it.  What do you think?

HannahLeeDee

Do what makes you happy. If your goal is to be perfectly H/A then go ahead and do some more research for what fits your class and occupation.But the most important thing when garbing is what makes you happy and what you think looks good. Some weekends I pile on the jewelry others I don't really where anything. It's up to you. Have fun. :)

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Peaches McGee on August 17, 2008, 01:39:56 PM
I think I'm going for more of a middle class look.  I have a beautiful (faux) antique garnet pendant.  The garnet is approx. one inch in diameter.  It is surrounded by marcasite.  I'll definitely be wearing that on a non-shiny silver chain that matches very well.  I also have a couple of silver and garnet bracelets that go really well too.  I have a REALLLLLLY LONG shiny silver necklace that I was considering wearing around my waist as a chain belt.  It has little silver discs hanging off of it.  What do you think?

For H/A, I'd say probably not.  Girdles (aka chain belts) were worn by the upper class.  The middle and lower class wore belts.  I've very rarely seen bracelets (they did have them, they just weren't popular) in Tudor England.  Take a look at the link I sent and search for Cheapside hoard in the collections.  It might give you a better idea of what was worn.

Peaches McGee

My garb consists of a black chemise, a black bodice, and a black underskirt with a blue and green petal skirt over top of it.  I also have a wide-brimmed straw hat with blue and yellow ribbons on it.  I've never gone garbed to a faire, so I'm not sure what class I would be considered.  I haven't gotten all of the garb yet, so I can't post a picture.  However, any advice you all could give me about what class I might be viewed as would help me figure out the accessories.

Thanks in advance.

isabelladangelo

Okay, since it sounds like you are doing a more fantastical approach, then you can wear whatever you please as far as jewelry.  Chemises were white/natural 90% of the time.  If they weren't white/natural, they were safforn (which was only for the Scots, Irish, and Roma).  Petal skirts did not exist.   Black was used sparingly for lower class garb because of the cost of keeping something black when you washed it. 

Now, given the colors, I'm not sure garnet would work.  I'd go with lapis, jade, and sapphire tones.  Maybe some onyx but you don't want everything to look too black.  But then again, it depends on the shades of the colors you have if it will go or not.  Basically, don't worry about the h/a with this outfit.   ;)

Peaches McGee

Thanks!!  I really appreciate the advice.  I'll have to go through my jewelry box and see if I have any bluish-type jewelry.  I should since it is my favorite color.  I just knew I had a of of garnet because it is my birthstone.  As soon as I have the garb I will post pictures.

Thanks again!!!!!

Peaches

Friar Rohn the Chronicler

Quote from: Peaches McGee on August 17, 2008, 09:10:20 PM
I've never gone garbed to a faire, so I'm not sure what class I would be considered.  I haven't gotten all of the garb yet, so I can't post a picture.  However, any advice you all could give me about what class I might be viewed as would help me figure out the accessories.

Peaches....

Whatever class you want to be depends on depends on how much time, effort, and funds you wish to put into to it. As for myself, being on the slightly more rotund size.....I had two choices. Dirt poor or Noble. I went with the dirt poor monk. I put out about $175 for the suit made to my stature (basically a pup tent with a hoodie), and a nice wooden tankard $65 that I've dented and scratched up on purpose. I've been searching on eBay for long wooden rosary to wrap around my waist. I found one that about 90 inches shipped directly from the Vatican but it has a lot of silver on the crucifix and a pious monk would not have that. But I still have some time before the next faire, so no rush on searching.
       If you want to correctly dress noble (which is the level my young nephew will be dressing).....be prepared to drop some serious coinage. It takes time and money. The payback comes when we hit the faires next year and we watch this usually quiet and somewhat introverted video game obsessed boy become a whole different kid.
       As for jewelry that would be considered middle class. Hit some local flea markets. Shy away from shiny and "art deco" stuff. Look for brass or bronze. No diamonds or precious jewels if you are going medieval middle class. My jewely is a simple wooden cross and some twine.

Friar Rohn

Adriana Rose

Now I am in the " If its shiny I will wear it" catagory...

If any one busts me about it I tell them that a very nice duke, count ( insert title here) gave it to me... As the flirty girl that I am at fair has a tendancy to be a bit of a tart...

Catherine DArtois

I have a couple of very nice strings of seed pearls.  One of them is 72" long and hangs over my chemise and down to my waist (detouring to the outside of the girls on the way down).  I've had many compliments on them (the pearls, not the girls).  Plus, while not cheap, they are not as expensive as some of the precious metals and gemstones can be.
Campfire Chili Mistress
Clan McLotofus