News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Buns!

Started by Silverbee, August 19, 2008, 03:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverbee

Wow, thanks for all the great replies!  It looks like I have some practicing to do.  The sock colour might be a problem.  I had reddish-brown hair that's faded to blah brown and lots of silver (hence the silver part of my nickname).  I'll have to raid the mister's sock drawer.  I'm hoping he has a sock he can give up for the cause.  ;)

PS to Randal: Ha! I knew someone would comment on that!
What a strange power there is in clothing.  ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

Muffin

Quote from: LadyStitch on August 20, 2008, 01:07:37 PM
My hair is past my tail bone and like silken threads, but healthy to the tips.  My grandmother use to help me by putting it in a ciffron <Sp> for ballet, but later on when I did it myself I braided it and did bobbypins. 
The problem I ran into is that to hold up that length of hair I had to use ALOT of bobby pins, and they gave me a head ache.

The best bun I have found for very long hair is make a braided pony tail. The make a granny knot in it thepull the long end, and twist the knot until it reaches the base of the pony tail.  once snug, wrap the excess braid around the knot decorativly.  With this technique I only need 4-6 bobby pins.  Top, bottm and side, then 2 for insurance.  Much less head ache for me.

You can also leave the tail hanging out and curl it.  The only problem I get is that people keep telling me "You have such a fake looking hair piece."    ;)

That is how I have always done my buns too!! My hair is long and thick, which equals Heavy!! So when it is piled up on top of my head its like having a weight sit up there and the bobby pins gave me a headache too!!!

The braid works slick and I always have people ask who did my hair for me..  :) Plus when the day is done I can take it down and my hair will be all nice and wavy!!
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette