News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Drinking Age

Started by Julianne, August 18, 2008, 09:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gypsylakat

I personally think it wouldn't make a difference if it were 18, I'm 19, I know plenty of my friends drink, and some of them drive (which drives ME nuts) My family has no problem if I were to want a few drinks of beer or wine or wine coolers or whatever else is at a family event, partly because they believe that if children are exposed to it and don't view it as a rebellion thing, their less likely to overindulge. I'm sorry, i hardly believe that most college students actually ENJOY getting so $#!7 faced drunk that they fall over and vomit on themselves (or on their friends tv, true story) and can't remember ANYTHING the next morning... this just doesn't sound fun, I've drank a few times, around my family, and saw no point in doing that, yes it was a little fun to be a bit tipsy, made everyone else seem more fun as well!. But since my family has had that attitude, I don't see it as a big deal, I'm headed to my first semester on campus and I may drink occaisonally I may not, but I doubt I'll do it on campus, not worth getting kicked out for imo.  (we're a dry campus even if you are 21)

I do feel that if you went over and kicked bad guy butt for me, you deserve your coors light! (it's what my bf's dad drinks, he's in the military)
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Arsinoe Selene

"That which is forbidden is most tempting."

Like others have said, if growing up you are exposed to alcohol, and not taught that it is totally forbidden until age 21, it's not a rebellion thing, it's not a "oh, I'm doing something bad, aren't I so awesome?" It's more of a "well, yeah, and?"

My dad has the occational beer. Both my parents will sometimes mix up a batch of mojitos. I have the option, if they mix up more than a glass for themselves, to have a small mojito, even though I'm only 19.

Oh, and on this comment:
More importantly, I think that people should have to pass an exam for a license to reproduce[...]

Dear GOD, yes! If there was any way to enforce that. I knew a couple in high school that are now married (both 19) because she got pregnant. Based on the timing, I think it was their last night together before he went to school down south. The kid is about 3 months now, I think. He lost his scholarship, she dropped out of JC. Oh, and last I heard they are living at his parent's house.

Noble Dreg

Quote from: gypsylakat on August 19, 2008, 06:00:24 PM
...I do feel that if you went over and kicked bad guy butt for me, you deserve your coors light! (it's what my bf's dad drinks, he's in the military)

See, this proves we need to pay our military a bit more so they can buy a better beer!  Coors light?  The poor man!   ;D
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

gypsylakat

lol, i think it's just cus he goes through so much, (he's not an alcoholic, he just has a very high tolerence, ) the fridge is always stocked with a 24 pack of longnecks
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Yrose

I agree with not making it a forbidden fruit. I exposed my daughter slowly over the years to alcohol, maybe a glass of champagne at a wedding or at new years. As she's gotten older at family events. Also one year she thought she could handle it and snuck some behind my back at a family event where I told her I would give her one or two. Well, she got drunk and sick, lost her new cell phone and ruined a new pair of shoes she really liked. This is one of the best things that could have happened. I was there to help her though it and she learned what it was like to have a hangover, and lose things you care about. (I didn't replace them) Now she's 19 and still under age, but by choice only occasionally drinks and makes sure there is a DD. Usually she chooses to be the DD, tends to be a bit of a mother hen.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

peggyelizabeth

I personally think that whether 18 or 21, our culture is the problem. If having a partial glass of wine or a partial beer with dinner at a younger age at home with mom and dad were more common, like it is in Europe, the age thing wouldn't matter nearly as much as it does.

What really doesn't make sense is that you can be killed in combat fighting for your nation at 18, you can't rent a car? That's really silly.

SirRichardBear

I remember the first debate during the Vietnam war all the its wrong that 18 can serve but not vote or drink.  So they lowered the voting and drinking age to 18 at that time as an 18 year old I said it was a damn dumb idea.  Should have rised everything to 21, allowing 19 year olds to join the military with parents or court permission.  The reason for allowing 18 into the military no longer holds much truth, since disbite what some liberals think today military needs much more than a weak mine and a strong back. Extra two years of school and maturity would serve the military much better than letting 18 into the service does.  

The reason many European allow young drinking is because their culture is so difference.  In many places wine and beer are part of lunch and dinner.  They so by the time they are 18 drinking wine or beer is something they know you do while eating and not something you do to get drunk.  They still have a problem with wiskey and other hard liqures because that is what people drink to get drunk.  If wine and beer were part of the average American lunch and supper every day then there would be some rationality to lower the drinking age.  But as things stand today no.

However I do agree its wrong to allow a person into the military and not allow them to drink so lets rise the voting and service age to 21 and be fair to everyone.  Hell could even have the military pay 18 and 19 year olds go to school if they agree sign up for four years.  Change your mine have to pay back the money with interest everyone benefits that way.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

DonaCatalina

My daughter grew up drinking wine with dinner. So she has never thought that alcohol was a big deal. She also never had the problems with binge drinking in college that many of her friends had.

However, I realize that we were not the norm..........
Most American kids are not taught by their families how to handle alcohol.

I would be more in favor of raising the minimum age for voting or military service to 21 before I would favor lowering the drinking age.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Demetrius

-or perhaps, meak wine...  Clean your room, do your homework, then booze...   :)
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

Sir William Marcus

The way I have always looked at is, if you can shipped to foriegn lands, fight & die for this country, then you should be allowed to drink alcohol legally.
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Julianne

And the debate continues....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26320912/?GT1=43001

The thing is...I don't think or believe that lowering the legal age will encourage the discontinuation of underage drinking....that's not for me what the point is.

I will point out however that at college campuses that have "outlawed" alcohol at their campuses there has been an increase of DUI deaths because of the students drinking off campus and then driving back drunk....not good.

I'm pushing more on the law.  At 18 you are a legal adult in this country....and so ALL of the responsibilities of that are upon you.  Therefore all of the "rights" should also be endowed.
All of them.

Hoowil

I say let military personel drink, even vote early (you used to be able to enlist at 17 with parental consent, don't know about now).

Ultimately, I think we need to find a way to remove the 'forbiden fruit' aspect of alcohol, without necassarily making it easily accessable. Teens and young adults have enough difficulities emotionally and pscychologically without mass doses of depressants/alcohol. It leads to more problems that just drunk driving. It affects teen suicide rates, high school drop out rates, teen pregnancies, and just about every part of life for those who over indulge. And yes, I do mean OVER indulge. Unfortunatley, how many teens, with their hormonal sense of immortality, and inexperience can actually judge their consumption wisely? I know I couldn't, and it caused problems for me that had repercussions ever since. There are no simple answers or solutions. As all people are different in maturity level, and situation, no one guideline or rule effectively works for everyone.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Yrose

Quote from: Hoowil on August 23, 2008, 01:49:20 AM
There are no simple answers or solutions. As all people are different in maturity level, and situation, no one guideline or rule effectively works for everyone.

This is why children have parents, and parents need to step up and take the responsibility of raising their children. Unfortunately so many don't anymore.  Talking to your child openly with them about it, your worries, concerns and personal experiences. Letting them know that even if they do get drunk, you will be there for them. I've always told my daughter if she needed me no matter when and where I would come and get her. I would be there and wouldn't give her grief, just rescue her. That's not to say later the next day there wouldn't be a talk or possible consequences. I've also told her if she did get in trouble with the law. She would spend a night in jail. Nothing like a night in jail to teach you how much you DON'T want to be there. I also would help her with the legal problems, but not just "bail" her out of all it. Children have to learn the consequences to their actions.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!