News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Comments on Dead Man's Tavern

Started by Welsh Wench, May 11, 2008, 07:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilaney

Thank you, WW and john!

Blackjack, thank you for the new toys! I am certain they will come in handy.

We'll get ashore soon enough to cause mischief.
I am wondering, who actually runs the island? Or, is it a 'have at it all?' sort of port?
I know there is no honor among thieves but, wouldn't it seem propersous to have a core
of something that keeps the permanent occupents from truly sinking the island through their
neglect and mischief-making? Like Guilds, or something unionized?
*Just a thought, if someone has already worked this out, I look forward to the posting!*

Captain Jack Wolfe

Awww, Lil!  You're actually going to make me think this through?!  ;)

I'd always envisioned it as a Mafia structure; a kingpin (who we could refer to as "The Governor" or "The Commodore") and his lieutenants, employing just enough control to keep things from imploding. But all in all an extremely laissez faire environment, tempered by the "Pirate's Code".  The bulk of the common elements one would find in a ship's articles serve as de facto laws, enforced by the "citizenry".

How does that sound?  Close to what you're looking for?

I'm putting this model forward because it's similar to the arrangement on Madagascar circa 1700.  I tend to sidestep the whole guild thing because I'm terribly allergic to them.

What does everyone think?

Martin- Thank you for what you wrote with Lil Puddin'.  It did my heart good.  How I miss that chatty little fuzzball.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Hibernian

That sounds workable. There could also be lieutenants or sub-bosses who are working the population in the different parts of town. I could see us having to deal with one person at the docks for repairs and a totally different group for supplies. Of course that also leaves room for several different "currents" operating below the surface, I'm sure all the major powers have their agents and informers in place.

Leaving Carolina tommorrow afternoon, see everyone at the faire Saturday morning.
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Welsh Wench

I'm trying to get all my garb in a medium bag..this isn't going to work but a 'honkin' big suitcase' is too much even for me!

See some of you Friday at night, the others at the faire!
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

lilaney

WW, Hibernian, Ya'll have fun!

This weekend is bringing, the hot, the humid and the possibility of rain with it.
yay, last three days of Faire!

BlackJack, that works. It was an idle curiosity. i do not believe we will be in port long enough
to truly delve into the inner workings.
But, a rough sketch will keep us all on the same page, as it were.

Captain Jack Wolfe

Lil, I try to flesh things out more than I really need to in order to keep things within the realm of possibility, and to keep from writing myself into a corner.

Invading Martian cylinders notwithstanding.  ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Elinor Hakebourne

*mutters* Hellcat?? I'll show him who's a Hellcat....

Great posting everyone :) I think I have a few ideas for a post in a little bit...involving some quiet time with Elinor attempting to work her fingers back into shape to write again...with a surprise guest in her quarters, that could be welcome or unwelcome (haven't decided yet) ;)

EDIT: Hope all of you at TNRF have a wonderful time! Lil, have a great time at Scarby! :)

Hibernian

Quote from: Welsh Wench on May 22, 2008, 12:40:43 PM
I'm trying to get all my garb in a medium bag..this isn't going to work but a 'honkin' big suitcase' is too much even for me!

Where is that Tardis when you need it? Or perhaps what is needed is a "bag of holding" from Dungeons & Dragons. Little bag with a big inside that could hold all of Wench's boots and still be carried in one hand.
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Elinor Hakebourne

QuoteOr perhaps what is needed is a "bag of holding" from Dungeons & Dragons. Little bag with a big inside that could hold all of Wench's boots and still be carried in one hand.

That makes me think of Hermione in the last Harry Potter book :) I won't go any farther, just in case there's anyone who hasn't read that book yet.

I think we'd definitely need that kind of bag for all of Wench's boots  :D

Blackjack Roberts

Ye all must be kidding!!!

Even a bag of holding couldn't keep up with Wench's boots! They multiply don' cha know. ;) :P :D

Elinor Hakebourne

Well, if no-one's gonna use the bag for Wench's boots, can I use it for the ship's logs? They're getting heavy.

Welsh Wench

May I present---- YOUR CO-CAPTAINS BRIGHT AND WOLFE!

Photo courtesy of Lavender

And this one is for Elinor.....

Capt. Bacardi

And why was I not told about this boot picture????:o
BLOODY HELL!!!!
..It is only a flesh wound..
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Welsh Wench

Elinor wanted her captains to give her a boot picture...besides, you were busy with a Muffin.
*Hi, Muffin!*

And here is the writing team of DMT.
Hibernian, Mad Jack, Welsh Wench and Laird Guardn' MCrack

Captain Jack Wolfe

And remarkably, I still have my boots!  She must be plotting something...  ???