News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Murphy's Laws of Sewing

Started by Lady Rosalind, September 09, 2008, 10:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

operafantomet

You run out of thread in the right colour, and put the project aside when you're really eager to work on it - only to find another spool of thread the next day, when the enthusiasm is gone...

Kymberleigh

You didn't check the spandex content of a pair of jeans you cannibalized to make a corset, and have to take the corset in 2 inches just to make up for the stretch.
I'm not shy... I'm a passive socialite

Kate XXXXXX

Eek!  That's a new one on me!

ArielCallista

just when you think "i'm finally gonna have this whole gown completely done by the time I go to bed tonight" the needle managed to catch on a straight pin and snap...and its the last one you have...
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Hoowil

With less then three weeks to the season opener, and only one project nearing completion (let alone having to figure out stuff for the kids) the house needs to be rewired to get power to anything but the lights
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Kate XXXXXX

Time to get out granny's treadle... ;D

Seriously, that's not good...

Hoowil

Yeah, and three days after we bought a stove with electric igniters, and a safey dead-switch if it looses power. So now, not even a stove...
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Kate XXXXXX

We keep a Primus stove in the wings...  I have been known to cook a stuffed and roasted chicken, baby new potatoes and vegetables, followed by Christmas pud all cooked on the primus.  This was at the Cropredy camp site at the Fairport Convention 21st reunion!  Sunday dinner!   ;D  Pressure cookers rule OK!

We got snowed in here for a week once when I still had all electric cooking.  The electricity was out for five days, and the pub ran out of beer.  It's amazing how warm you can keep when you dress well and have a Tilly lamp keeping the frost out of your fingers as you sew on the hand crank...  We put the spare bed duvet on top of our own and filled the bed with hot water bottles, and cooked on the Primus.

I now have a gas hob with pizo-electric ignition, so I can always light that, even if the central heating can't work.  We also have two tillys and a gas lamp, and the primus, a couple or three of the 'single use' solid fuel things the army dish out with ratpacks (son is in the cadets), and a camping gas stove, so we are usually OK if the electrons fail.

ladyharrogate

you are frantically satin stitching a heraldic emblem on a horse caparison when the timing on the industrial machine goes wacky and starts missing stitches in a massive way.  You end up having to stop, spend an hour retiming the machine and missing the UPS pickup.

You sew all your closures only to realize the left side is a quarter inch higher than the right side and you have to redo the entire side.

You neatly blind stitch and entire hem only to finish, pick up the piece and realize.....you stitched it to your pants!

DonaCatalina

You cut the main piece from the pattern; use the cut piece to cut out its lining.
When you try to sew the lining in, the lining will be three inches longer.

(How does that happen?)
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Anne Clare

Quote from: DonaCatalina on March 17, 2010, 04:33:12 PM
You cut the main piece from the pattern; use the cut piece to cut out its lining.
When you try to sew the lining in, the lining will be three inches longer.

(How does that happen?)
Mine does that too except it does it everywhere so the lining is always at least 2 inches larger all the way around  :-[
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)

LadyShadow

Mine always ends up at different lengths all the way around.  But still all of it bigger than the main fabric.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

iain robb

Another of Murphy's Laws of Sewing: If you have only one step left to sew and then you're finally completely all done ... you're gonna screw it up.

Last night I was getting a bit tired but I had only one cuff left to sew on, so I went for it. Only to then discover I had sewn it on completely backwards. So now I have some seam-ripping to do, and then one last thing to sew, when I'm not tired!

Casche

You run out of thread the day before Easter because you're machine decides to freak out and creates a rat's nest of thread on the underside of what you're trying to sew, therefore using what thread you have left... And when you go to get more thread from Walmart on Easter, they've cut their craft section in half and no longer carry thread, and everywhere else is closed because of Easter.

Ugh.  But then I went to Sonic and got ice cream, so the world isn't all bad  ;D

GirlChris

Cashe- I've had that happen before. It happens because the tension has gone wonky on the bobbin. My machine sometimes winds the bobbins too loosely and I end up with the crazy mess.