News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Share your Hurricane Ike experiences!

Started by Blue66669, September 17, 2008, 10:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Martin

We just got power back in the past few hours.  The water is now safe to drink and the curfew has been shortened to 11pm - 5 am.  I have had the tree removed from my house and salvaged what I could.  The roof has been temporarily repaired to prevent further water damage and the sheetrock and carpet have been torn out.

I don't have an ETA on when my cable will be fixed (sending this from my office where cable was restored yesterday).   The boss doesn't like us visiting forums so it may still be a while until I can check in again.   :(

I'm still going to TRF dangnubbit.   :)

Wolfden

Got power back today, was a great feeling to turn the corner and see lights on in the complex. I live in a 15 building complex and had four people running generators within 50 feet of my bedroom window. The fumes were sickening and the noise deafening. One brilliant individual even managed to set fire to his garage when he spilled gas on the hot generator. I live in NW Harris County and I definitely second the opinion of others who spoke about the news blackout up here, could not even find out if our water was safe to drink. Oh well, now I have a better understanding for Dickens' writings and his message about deprivation. I am also thankful I did not have to experience some of the horrors that happened out on Bolivar. I can not even imagine what those folks went through riding out that hurricane trapped on a roof.

knarlyknot

Alive and well in East Texas, had no power for 6 days but we did have hot water so I pimped it out for extra ice and food from relief workers.  (small town)  As soon as power came on I left for Houston to help family members who have SEVERE damage to their homes.  Back at home now, kids started school today, yeah!

Can't wait for TRF, wonder what effect Ike will have attendance.

PurpleDragon

Day 12, still no power here yet..  Centerpoint site "claimed" that my zip code would have power back YESTERDAY, those lying bastards. 
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Trillium

I'm so thankful we have Texas New Mexico!  We didn't expect power until sometime this week but got it back on Friday.
Another lesson learned:  I'm also very glad we have our phone thru AT&T/SWB and not Comcast.  We never lost service and my poor parents are still without phone/cable/internet because they went with the comcast bundle.  We may not have cable right now but at least we have phone and internet!

And we are buying a gas stove sometime in the next year...not being able to cook anything sucked!!
Got faerie dust?

Fenster

I think it paid off living very close to a fire/sheriff station since they are high on the priority list for power. 

Got the newest report from Centerpoint since I work in the energy industry....they are up to 73% with power.  Not the news those w/o power want, but the more they get restored the better chance yours will be on sooner than later.

PurpleDragon

the issue is that their site has been reporting since last week that my zip code would have power back by "End of Monday 9/22" and we STILL don't have power today..
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Fenster

Quote from: PurpleDragon on September 23, 2008, 12:49:08 PM
the issue is that their site has been reporting since last week that my zip code would have power back by "End of Monday 9/22" and we STILL don't have power today..
Does anyone in your neighborhood have power?  If so call them to make sure they know you are out....which I'm sure you've done.

They need to not report by zip codes as they may not know the exact borders of that area.  The system needs to be overhauled for sure.

PurpleDragon

nobody in my neighborhood has power at all. 
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Fenster

PapaGnome

Quote from: PurpleDragon on September 23, 2008, 01:05:49 PM
nobody in my neighborhood has power at all. 

Call them anyway, tell them you think you saw lights a street over, just be nice they will probably take your name and address.  I did this and got power just a day or two later.

Scol
PaPaGnome
Drunken Gnomes
Commander of the HSI
Royal Order of Landsharks #35

PurpleDragon

Here we are on September 24, 2008 13 days after the first bands started making landfall and I still have no power at the house.  Now, Centerpoint Energy stated they would have my power up by Monday September 22, however it is not until sometime on Tuesday September 23 that they update their site and now it says I won't have power until Sunday September 28.  I am NOT a happy Dragon right now.  >:(
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Var Greyshadow

Hugs, Vandor!  We're with you - watching half of our apartment complex with power, and unless it came on since we left for work, not having it.  We're on the "by Thursday" list, but I'll believe it when I see it.  After Thursday, I start calling.

Paid a visit to friends in Shore Acres yesterday.  Now, there's another disasater story.  I think most of the community flooded from the surge and all along the main road in, people's lives are tossed in trash heaps by their driveways.  Our friends got 3 feet of water in the house.  Carpet is gone, lower 4 feet of sheetrock is gone, most of their furniture is on that trash pile - not to mention books, clothes, etc. that they couldn't take when they left.  I have his swords - planning to clean them back up and get all the rust off.
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

RenRobin

Quote from: Var Greyshadow on September 24, 2008, 12:26:30 PM
Hugs, Vandor!  We're with you - watching half of our apartment complex with power, and unless it came on since we left for work, not having it.  We're on the "by Thursday" list, but I'll believe it when I see it.  After Thursday, I start calling.

Paid a visit to friends in Shore Acres yesterday.  Now, there's another disasater story.  I think most of the community flooded from the surge and all along the main road in, people's lives are tossed in trash heaps by their driveways.  Our friends got 3 feet of water in the house.  Carpet is gone, lower 4 feet of sheetrock is gone, most of their furniture is on that trash pile - not to mention books, clothes, etc. that they couldn't take when they left.  I have his swords - planning to clean them back up and get all the rust off.

Var, any news on your boat?  Did she make it thru?
Loki-terr (in training)

Var Greyshadow

The boat - we drove past "the barn" before going to our friends' house on Tuesday.  It looked like there hadn't even been a storm, so I'd say my boat is fine.  She was snug in her rack in a big dry stack facility on Clear Lake.

Still no power - this is getting old now.  However, last night around midnight a CenterPoint truck pulled up under my window and the guy was looking at the pole with our security lights and the one behind it.  Maybe today they'll come and work on it!
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"