News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Legend of the Seeker or Sword of Truth

Started by renfairephotog, September 19, 2008, 08:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfairephotog

Legend of the Seeker is based on the Sword of  the Truth novels. It is a new series produced by the Hercules/Xena producers.  I'm afraid the tv show will not be as good as the books.

Nov 1.

http://www.legendoftheseeker.com/
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

NoBill Lurker

Well no movie or TV show is going to be as good as the books they come from..... ;D

Still looking forward to this show anyway! Just think of it as another Hercules or Zena with a better plot! (maybe?)

Any news on what channel is going to carry it?
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

renfairephotog

That's one way to think of it. I just worry they'll camp it up like Hercules.

It's in syndication so it'll vary. There's a station locater on the site. In Nashville it's on the CW on sat.
Fairy photographer

maelstrom0370

I'm of mixed emotions about this.  On one hand, I really, REALLY liked the core idea of the series.  The characters, powers, etc were all very cool.  On the other hand, the series seemed to take F-O-R-E-V-E-R!!!  I swear, each book seemed to take place over the course of ONE DAY!!  And the next book picked up the NEXT DAY!!  Time didn't seem to move.  There always seemed to be some convenient reason to keep the characters separated and there just never seemed to be any pay off.  Admittedly, I only read the first 5 books, but it got to the point that Jagang was always over the next hill.
I'll pobably give the TV series a shot though.  I loves me a good fantasy/medieval/sci-fi series!!
That and the Mord-Sith were pretty sweet!  ::) :P

renfairephotog

I know what you mean. The books got repeated the same themes and got into huge side stories. The last one I read Richard was forced to carve an idol.  The reviews for the next book said it was a side quest for a minor character so I gave up reading. Hopefully the tv format will force better pacing.
Fairy photographer

Dirtfarmer

I'm a huge geek for the Goodkind series....

Yea, RFP, you finished with faith of the fallen and the next book spends most of the time dealing with some other characters, but is pretty good in and of its own.

My advice, buy the audio books and listen to them while you are driving to faires far away.  You could drive from TNRF to NYRF and back and still be in the same book.  It took me 3 years of driving to listen to them all. 

Goodkind always does rehash everything that happened in the previous books every single book, which does get real old.

I'm pretty stoked about the series, which probably means I'm in for a huge let down... but I can hope

Legender

Quote from: renfairephotog on September 19, 2008, 11:58:09 PM
I just worry they'll camp it up like Hercules.

Actually, they won't.  Sam Raimi & company are intent on staying consistent with the tone and premise of the novels, even if the episodes vary a bit story-wise.  They appeared at Comic-Con last July to talk about that, and the "making of" preview that ran last weekend showed the first 10 minutes and it seems pretty serious.

It's premiering this weekend, Nov. 1st/2nd.  If you don't know what time & station it's on in your town, you can look it up at the official site:

http://www.legendoftheseeker.com/

Spread the word!  That's what I'm doing!   ;D

Dirtfarmer

I've been following this pretty closely and it looks pretty good and does not have much of a "hokie" factor from what I have seen.  Looks pretty darn awsome to me!

Now, they are following the spirit of the storyline but there have been some changes to the character relationships (like Zed and Richard don't know each other at the start of the book) and how some people die.. etc.  It seems they did the changes so that those who don't know the books can follow along easier.

It really looks much like LOTR, probably because they shot it in the same general area.

I'm pretty stoked about it.  I've been doing the word of mouth thing too, to those who I know enjoy the fantasy type TV/Movie shows.

If you have not, take a look at the 10 minute preview... it is pretty darn cool.

*Teach*

OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!OMG!
Yeah... that is the sound of Teach in total geek out mode!
I am a huge fan of that series from beginning to end.
-Dirtfarmer, I started on those with an audiobook gift from my kid when the first one came out. I was then driving about 2 hours each day going back and forth to work.
-I don't know how I feel about Zedd and Richard not knowing each other... Zedd was a major factor in Richard's upbringing. I will give then a chance though because I know it isn't always possible to follow a book that carefully and some changes must be made. (I Liked LoTR even though my fav character Tom was left out completely so...)
If I don't hear Zedd hollar "Bags, Richard" in the first episode I may have to boycott it though lol

*A rum toast to good news and high hopes for the Seeker!*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

Dirtfarmer

Well, I'm pretty sure you will get a few "Baggs" out of Zed... they seem to have written him with the humor base.... I saw on one of the previews where Zed was warning Richard to "Pay attention to the road and not her (Kahlan) posterior." which I thought held true to that character.

They seem to have made Zed much more "Obe-Wan-Kenobi-ish" as he has been watching Richard from afar instead of being friends as Richard grew up.

If you can get past Kahlan having blue instead of green eyes, the Ta'Harans (sp) not being blond hair blue eyed and some minor changes (I'm sure there will be bigger ones to make it mesh with 1 hour episodes) then I'm sure us audio book/book fans will be happy.

Legender

This might answer some of your questions...  Just learned that the iTunes store is now carrying both the "Making Of" special that aired last weekend, AND a preview of the first 30 minutes of the pilot!

I'm downloading it now... Here's the iTunes link:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewTVSeason?id=293550570&s=143441

Legender

Oh, forgot to mention...  Free!    :D

renfairephotog

I didn't know there was a special over the weekend. I was at faire anyway.  I'm not gonna download it don't want spoilers even though I read the books.

I Just have to  remember to watch this weekend.
Fairy photographer

renfairephotog

They did a good job with it. They changed some stuff but not as bad as I feared. It'll be nice to see how they translate it to tv.
Fairy photographer

NoBill Lurker

Was worried that they were going to screw it up badly.  :o

And the changes so far are quite a few, but nothing deadly...

And I will diffidently keep watching the show.

Yep they did a good job.  ;D

(and in the one part that DR takes out his own general, I believe that we get a quick glimpse of what I think is one of the Mord-Sith (the one who brings him the goblet) in one scene) 
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???