News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Having your picture taken at faire?

Started by theChuck, September 20, 2008, 11:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

Had a random 'Dane catch me this past weekend at Scarby in my new Fae outfit- really flatterng- hadnt happened in a while!

Hubby and I also got mobbed at TRF one year by asian tourists...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Poldugarian Warrior

I love pics, I feel flattered, and it helps spread the word about faire, because the pics become conversational pieces in people's homes, and I feel I showcase a piece of our human history. So I say shoot away.

angusmacinnes

Well marching with the QOH if you dont like having a picture taken is not the place to be.  I too say shoot away.  ;D
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Aiacha

Quote from: bellevivre on April 28, 2010, 12:34:06 AM
Hubby and I also got mobbed at TRF one year by asian tourists...

That happened to me and a friend of mine last year at TRF too...a guy asked us to walk up and down in the Rose Garden.  It was kindof neat, being asked and all.

Merlin the Elder

I'm always flattered by the fact that folks find me interesting looking enough to take a picture of me. Opening weekend at Scarby this year, every time I turned around there was this one guy snapping like crazy. Never thought of myself as paparazzi fodder  :D
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Sir William Marcus

Always welcome, bring it on! Matter of fact if your in garb and don't want your picture taken you should stay home or attend as a dane.
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Dinobabe

If you're going to go to the trouble to make or buy the awesome clothing then why not have it's gorgesnous spread around!  Besides, it makes for a great ego boost!   ;D
I love having my pic taken.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Poldugarian Warrior

madmanpsu

I personally don't care whether the pics of my are candid or posed.  I figure that while I am garbed and on shire, I need to always be prepared for any interaction with patrons, including photos.  Since I am garbed, mundanes don't know that I don't work for faire and so I need to present a professional image to them and part of that is being patron freindly.  Besides, I ussually am dressed up in armor and doing so is an open invitation to pictures.  I notice many people that are afraid to approach me because I am pretty intimidating when I am kitted out in my Brigandine, so I don't mind them snapping a pic and then running away.  I also look at it from the perspective that if they want to pose with me, I have a chance to interact with them and hopefully leave a favorable impression on them and keep them coming back to faire.  It's very rewarding to me to see patrons that come up to me year after year to see what has changed with my garb and to say hello because they remember me from a previous season.  I believe that it is the responsibility of all of us playtrons to behave and interact with the mundanes as though we work for the faires we are at because whether or not we are part of cast, mundanes see garbed persons and ussually associate us a being actors or faire employees.  I think that being photo freindly kinda comes with that territory.

Rosamundi

Quote from: photomike on October 05, 2008, 01:10:07 PM
Dealing with children, can be tricky . . . . As soon as I took the photo the littlest girl about 5 years old ran up to me & said that her daddy did not want her picture posted on the internet! OK! I was floored!

Good to hear a photog's perspective on the kids issue.

I agree that if I'm garbed - and especially if I have a tiny garbed munchkin in tow - I should expect to be a photo target. I also agree that the photographers are exercising a legal right in a public place. As an adult, I welcome the spotlight and smile.

That said, a lot of parents are getting real tetchy about pics of their kids on the Internet. My husband is one of them.  So last weekend I politely (and quietly!) whispered to the photographer that we'd prefer no pictures of the child be posted. He was very gracious about it and I appreciated that.
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

Mademoiselle D

The first year I wore garb I had sewn I was so surprised and flattered by the amount of pictures I was asked to be in.  Plus being the perfectionist I am, no matter what I can always find things to improve upon on my gowns so being asked for a picture only motivated and feeded my addiction to sewing new and better garb for the next season.

Finnian

It's amazing when you are dressed in bright green faun gear how much attention you can attract, even sitting in a pub taking a break with mundane friends. I probably have hundreds of people ASK for photos a day, let alone the one's the don't ask. I don't mind, though I prefer to not have shots of me sitting like a bumb on a park bench chatting it up out of character as a photo, XD so when people ask, even if I'm on break, I always get up and go away from my group and do a pose or two so they can have a decent shot. I don't really mind pics either way, since I know for my faire I have a unique outfit, and I know most of the kids seem to love it, so I take a lot of pictures with girls and little kids. Usually when one person takes my picture 50 other people see it's ok to take my picture and join a flock around me. A bit weird, since I definitely didn't chose my outfit to seek attention, I just thought it was cool and different.

I've had people with photography sites and services take my picture and then give me their card so I could later see the pics, needless to say of the hundreds of pics I know have been taken of me, I've only found a SINGLE one online so far. Even after e-mailing people. Oh well. XD I consider it a rather great honor for people to bother to take a picture of me, I mean I'm just a playtron, not working there...but I guess many people don't know that!

Celtic Rune Stones

From a photographer - I will give the subject(s) some sort of acknowledgement that they are being photographed, if they provide a positive response I will take the shot, talk to them, and provide a card with the FLICKr address so they can download the print, if they indicate otherwise, the camera comes down, simple as that - there are far too many willing participants and far to little time.

The only time this isn't possible is during action shots such as the jousts, the parade, and actors performing - all of which I will make an attempt to locate after their event is over.

Having been shooting at rennies for the past 10+ years I can only remember once when someone (in garb) was adamant about not being photographed. Usually they welcome the attention, and enjoy the finished product. 

For me, the enjoyment comes from the interaction – and there is never a charge...

So, if you at the CoRF and the 'Dread Pirate Roberts' points his lens at you – SMILE!  ;D  You never know...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dansdigitaldarkroom/sets/72157610785866789/

My life is loosely based on a true story...

Poldugarian Warrior

Celtic Rune Stones I commend you, I always wish that someone would tell my where to find my pic on the web after they take my pic. I just like to see what kind of pic they got. And who I may have been pictured with, there have been times when I was standing next to performers and a pic was taken, and the performers didn't know, but I did and I would've liked to have told them our pic had been taken by so and so and we could all look it up and have it in our collection. Lookin forward to this year.

NefariousDrO

Like the others, I'm usually honored to be photographed, so long as the photographer is also courteous about it. The only thing that ever peeves me is the number of times I see folks trying to set up a shot of me or someone else at the faire, and passersby just plowing on right though the poor folk's shot! Basic courtesy is such a simple thing, but it makes all of our lives so much easier, I wish people would show those poor photographers a little more consideration and either go around or wait the couple of seconds it takes for the shot.