News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Wounds While Crafting

Started by Magister, May 12, 2008, 08:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magister

Welcome to the RF.com Wounds While Crafting Thread

This thread is for everyone to post their stories of maiming themselves or others in the pursuit of their favorite (or formerly favorite) hobby. As usual, just a few rules to help keep everything straight.

Rules for Posting

1. Please do not post random comments about the sky, grass, or kittens ;).  Unless you hurt yourself on them.

2. Please be respectful of those that take the time to post.

3. Please try to keep the nasty stuff kid safe.. little eyes read our board sometimes.

4. Have Fun!

Mag
Crafting Forum Moderator
Magister
Moderator: Crafting Corner, Buy + Sale + Trade

willin

"Unless you hurt yourself on them." - been there done that !
;)"I tripped on a cloud and fell-a eight miles high
I tore my mind on a jagged sky
I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in"
8)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ8k6fVe25k&feature=related

i have many a wound tale to tell. . .
but the most serious thing i can relate to others is. . .
always work in a well ventilated area when working with adhesives and sealants.
my ol' partner passed away this past June after losing his battle with leukemia which he got
from years of breathing fumes from benzene, an ingredient in adhesive. 
GOT FEET ?

jcbanner

Oh wow, I think I need to move some of the work I do to the outside of my house.
On a related note, also besure to let things finnish curing before puting them in your car and driving a long way.  Made that mistake once and had to drive with the windows all open (in January) just so I wouldn't get sick.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

CountessofPhoenix

HOTTTTTT  Glue, need I say more!!!
Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

Hoowil

Well, ok, it didn't happen to us, but my wife reminded me of an incident a few years back. We lived in a small town that had the local police log published in the town newspaper (which only came out once a week). One week it listed a 911 call, documented as 'caller has finger stuck in sewing machine'   :o. Not the next call,  but the one after that was 'caller has gotten finger out, and is on route to hospital'. All I can say, is the possibilities of images from that were a little sickening.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

jcbanner

Thats happened to my mom, a few times I think.

Adriana Rose

I cut the heck outta my left index finger on the tread guide on my sewing machine needle.. I was not watching what I was doing and moved my finger too close to the moving needle and well owie!

Taffy Saltwater

Little tiny holes in the tip of my pointer finger, dug there by handsewing.  And the needles have a magical way of remembering where those little tiny holes are.  Nasty accident w/a new scissors - youch!
Sveethot!

LadyStitch

The best I have is that while working on a halloween costume on the other side of the house, I came back to my computer to check something. Some how in my frequent trips back and forth I dropped a pin.  When I brought my foot back to stand up it splintered into my foot behind the ball of big toe.  I thought I had just poked it real good. 

2 years later after a clumsy guy stepped on my foot during a salsa lesson my foot started swelling.  Turns out he had cause the splinter to move in the joint.  2 days later I had surgery to have it removed.  3 days after that I was riding around TRF in a wheel chair.  surgery or no I was going to faire.

Things I learned:  1)Never take crafts out of crafting area. 2) vacuum often 3)  Always wear shoes while crafting. 

It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Morgan Dreadlocke

Lessons learned-
Never use a-
Hot glue gun
X-acto knife
Dremel tool,

While sitting down!
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

Hoowil

Quote from: Morgan Dreadlocke on May 25, 2008, 12:02:06 AM
Lessons learned-
Never use a-
Hot glue gun
X-acto knife
Dremel tool,

While sitting down!
I was taught as a small child (mainly for cooking) if you drop anything sharp DO NOT TRY TO CATCH IT! Jump back, and save your toes.

How about: don't hold the mold while pouring candles. Let it sit on the table.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

willin

a leather-worker friend of mine Bill Baldwin proprietor of Leather Worx in Nyack NY & a booth at NYRF in Tuxedo NY, instructs his apprentices. . . .

"when you get cut and that's when  not if (because you will), do not bleed on the leather"
GOT FEET ?

Spinster

I learned the hard way that, when doing stained glass, when the soldering tip gets too much flux and solder on it, flick it AWAY from yourself to clear it off.
I've been turned into a cow. May I be excused?

Gwen aka Punstergal

Yesterday I learned the four RULES for making a knotwork celtic style cross from 3/8 twisted nylon rope:

#1- Try to talk yourself out of it before you get started (and when that doesn't work)...
#2- Remember to let the melted ends of the rope cool completely before you start tying (and when you forget that patience is a virtue)..
#3- Keep first aid ointment and bandages nearby so that you don't catch yourself using your teeth to hold parts of the knotwork in an effort to keep from oozing on it and getting it dirty (and when you decide to give in and use your teeth anyway, because you can't quite pull that knot tight without ripping your blister back open)...
#4- Make sure you are well away from all furniture so that the sudden backwards jerk of your head doesn't leave you with a bump on the noggin.
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

Zoë

I have a permanently pinched nerve in my middle finger from knitting.  Whenever it gets really cold out, the tip of my finger goes numb and gets really sensitive.  It's very odd. 
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy