News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Noble Class garb for children

Started by Friar Rohn the Chronicler, September 28, 2008, 01:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate XXXXXX

Ninya has the advantage of there being several weavers here in the UK and Europe that will take a piece of ancient cloth, analyze it, and recreate it using fibers and patterns as close to the originals as possible.  It comes from the place being stacked with ancient houses full of ancient crumbling textiles...   We also have two marvelous institutions: The National Truss, that holds up old buildings, and English Heretics that allows them to fall down again.  ;D

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/

Some of the fabrics work out at £100 or more a meter, though I doubt Ninya would have used that level of fabric for clothes that need to be worn by various kids as part of a living history experience.  She does do fabulous work, and has a really brilliant embroiderer to work with.

I'm really looking forward to seeing those kids in their new Post Frocks.   :)

Friar, those trousers sound like fall front trousers, and the suit may may date back to the Edwardian erarather than the 40's.  The sailor suit look was very fashionable for both boys and girls at that time.

Friar Rohn the Chronicler

If I remember correctly, I believe the sailor suit was listed from the 1940's WWII era. It may be older and the seller did not know and assumed it was from that age. The flaps were almost impossible to deal wilh, after the first and last "accident" when I couldn't get them open quick enough....the suit was professionally cleaned and stored away.

Someday....perhaps his son can experience the same situation.....it's a bonding thing I guess.  ;)

Currently, the belt and baldric is being made out in California. It got delayed because I ordered two belt buckles from Thailand that were supposed to be brass and they turned out to be pewter silver. I wanted them to match some brass conchos I found on the net but I will have to go with silver conchos. I guess in a way that may be good because the knee boots we are ordering have silver buttons along the sides.

I didn't care for the excuse that the seller had because I contacted them weeks before deciding which belt buckles to use and they specifically said they were brass. Then after admitting their mistake they only offered that if I wanted to have them recast in brass (I would have to do all of the work) , they "may" help pay the cost by partial reimbursement.  I guess we'll just have to stick with the silver. Here's what they look like:

As for his other accessories, he'll have a rapier and a long Italian stiletto that will be mounted on the backside of the baldric (all peace tied). I have been looking for a dagger and came across this one that is located from Armor of God that has a nice wood handle and matching Wood scabbard with a Damascus steel blade:

http://www.realarmorofgod.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=926

I also found this dagger for auction that has a pretty unique brss handle and matching scabbard to:

Which looks more to fit a Noble Class child?

Friar Rohn

Kate XXXXXX

I dunno...  Not my field, really, but instinct says go for the one in the red scabbard.  The other looks a little baroque...  Maybe a later date?  They are both rather splendid, and not something he'll grow out of.   ;D

Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on October 03, 2008, 02:48:41 AM
I dunno...  Not my field, really, but instinct says go for the one in the red scabbard.  The other looks a little baroque...  Maybe a later date?  They are both rather splendid, and not something he'll grow out of.   ;D

I myself sort of like the first one from Armor of God. Mainly because it's a functional. The other one is a decorative Masonic dagger.

I did manage to get some time a take a couple of photos of the new suit and it's really to best yet showing the true color of the materials. The photos from her camera make the gold brocade look shiny and reflective.

Here's couple of photos and a detail shot on how she made a pair a grommets on the shoulders to anchor the Chains of Office so they won't droop around his neck like a necklace.

I just sent off the belt buckles today to Blackbeards Creations to finish the belt/baldric combo. He's making a belt with a reinforced tankard hold with a double strap, a dagger frog, A mace frog and a custom pouch to hold his hand held Sony PSP game player (got to remember....he's just a kid). We'll probably order the dagger after the Boare's Head Feaste next month and we're also have the Italian Mace curently being gold electroplated and that takes a while to have done too.

Friar Rohn

My nephew finally got to try on hid first suit today...

Friar Rohn

BrokenArts

Look at that smile, he must be proud.  ;D  He looks the part!  Nice job on the outfit.

Kate XXXXXX

Brilliant!  He looks extremely happy with it, which is, I suspect , the reason for the whole exercise.  I love to render kids speachless like this.   ;D

He was happy with it. He was afraid that it would have a bunch of beads and frills added to it, he cringed a few times when reviewing a few photos in the photography section of "Foppish looking" playtrons....so he was pretty happy that it turned out somewhat elegant but not over the edge. We'll have the second suit made as soon as the brocade material is delivered. We've ordered his boots and some of the weapons. We're going to wait on ordering some kind of hat and find him a fitted correctly at a vendor booth.

Which hat do you think would be better for Spanish nobility......a cavalier or a "flat cap" style?

Friar Rohn

He dropped by after school today and I showed him the hat......

Dont be offended....he's only 11.....

The first thing that he said was....."Are you NUTS! That looks like something out of a Dr. Suess book!"

BWAHAHAHAhahahahah! Kids........

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

A simple Elizabethan Flat cap made of Black Velveteen with some trim and feathers would have sufficed.

I have not seen many children wearing Tall Hats at all at faire.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Kate XXXXXX

Ah, well...  I THOUGHT his reaction would be fairly close to that of my 14 YO, but not THAT close!   ;D ;D  The way to steer kids is to show them things you KNOW they'll reject first, and then move gently in the way you want them to go.   ;D

The flat hat in either blue to match the plain on his suit or in black will look very well.

Finally got some time to take some test shots of my nephew's "fairly complete" Noble Class suit this afternoon. After having him wear it for a hour or so, it finally gave us the chance to see what places need to be fixed or reinforced before next week's Boare's Heade Feaste.

Friar Rohn

Pinn

I.P.B.
IWG# 3681
Ette
ROL #101
FOKTOP

Quote from: PinnMcrack on November 09, 2008, 06:08:25 AM
What a fine looking lad

Thanks ....... I guess he's a keeper. Had him dump his glasses (otherwise he has that Harry Potter look).

This was his first time wearing everything before a renaissance dinner next week. We have to make some changes for him the wear it properly. First, the pants or "slops" are fairly heavy and he will need a pair of suspenders added tomorrow so they don't drag down on him. Then I'll need to drill some holes in the belt so we can run the leather cords through to give the belt extra support. That fancy tankard is not solid brass (it's been handed sculpted out of sheet brass - circa 1820-40) and is lighter than it looks but still drags one side of the belt down. The other side can be tied into the baldric for support.

When we took those photos, the Gothic spires were from a Methodist church downtown.....we drew a small crowd from two Spanish families that ended up clicking photos of him too. I thought that was kinda' funny. They kept on using term that meant a Spanish nobleman.

Friar Rohn