News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sword Sharpening

Started by Macintyre, September 29, 2008, 01:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macintyre

Does anyone have good sword sharpening tips and or know of anyone in the Houston area that does sharpen swords?

escherblacksmith

how nice a blade are we talking about?

And how far off from sharp is it?
--

Macintyre

it's a paul chen and the edges are not sharp as in razor sharp, but they are not by any means "take a head off"

Chris B

What kind of Paul Chen is it?  Not all swords are suppose to be razor sharp.  The sharper it is, the more easily the blade is damaged.  It doesn't take a fine edge to cut.  Is it a Japanese or one of CAS Iberia's western swords?

Macintyre

it's a battle ready, museum replica claymore.

Chris B

I do not know anyone here in Houston that I could recommend to sharpen it.  I would personally leave it as is.  Most swords of that size do not need a fine edge to still do some serious damage.  The edge will just get chipped easier with it being that sharp.  Sorry I could not be of more help.  Good luck with it and post a pic of it if you do get it sharpened.

PurpleDragon

I would leave it as it is, unless of course you think the clan wars are going to sprout up again and you'll be called upon to use you sword. ;)  Seriously though, why do so many people WANT to have their swords sharpened when the only wear them at faire?  I have a rather large collection of swords, some have edges (Masohiro Katana and most of my Windlass blades), some do not (Starfire Blades and el cheapo katanas).  With the Paul Chen blades, they are finished the way the designer wanted them finished, including the edge, and should not be altered in any way as it could very well disrupt the stability of the blade.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Macintyre

thanks for the input guys.  i appreciate it.

Poldugarian Warrior

Quick question, I've heard the term "false blade" used to describe the edge of a sword, which looks sharp, but isn't. Of course, as PurpleDragon mentioned since any time I wear a sword it's usually at fest, why have it sharpened. I plan on sharpening maybe one or two of my blades, just for home security. But, then again, blunt force trauma from a sword is a good defense too. So why do they describe it as false, when they could just call it unsharpened?

Zaubon

The false edge is an area of the blade that is narrowed but deliberately not sharpened. Ususally this is do to help create and strengthen the point such as is seen on a Bowie or Bayonet style blade.

Poldugarian Warrior

Thanks for clarifying that. Now I know. "and knowing is half the battle" G.I. Joe HA. HA. Just thought I'd throw that out there