News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Was Elizabeth really in love with Jack?

Started by Welsh Wench, November 09, 2008, 07:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welsh Wench

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4m3GDBCFbc

After watching this video, I began to think--

Was Elizabeth really in love with Jack Sparrow?  Did she settle for Will Turner?

What do YOU think?
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Nicolette

I was actually confused a bit in the original film, thinking she was falling for Jack several times.  She certainly could have been drawn to his darker anti-hero self, at least in part, despite the allure of Will.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Captain Jack Wolfe

There were a few times I was certain the writers were confused on that point as well...  :D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Athena

QuoteShe certainly could have been drawn to his darker anti-hero self, at least in part, despite the allure of Will.

I agree, I think she's drawn to the bad boy. There's an attraction there for sure, but her heart belongs to Will.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Taffy Saltwater

Agreed that there was a certain amount of sexual frisson between Jack & Liz that wasn't there between Will & Liz (which was probably more a lack of acting chops on Keira/Orlando's parts).  She was in an all-fired rush to give it away & since this is Disney, she had to be properly wedded to be bedded.  And to her presumably similarly inexperienced first love.  Do you think they'd let a poxy pirate deflower their heroine?

Always wondered - why were the strumpets so ticked at Jack?
Sveethot!

dragongirl

I think that she was in love with Will and in lust with the IDEA of Jack.  Not really Jack himself.  Remember that even as a young girl she was attracted/interested in pirates.  She built them up as these dashing romantic figures but when confronted with the drunken, smelly reality she was grossed out.  Besides, I have read interviews with the writers that strongly hinted the Jack is not straight or bisexual at the very least.  I cannot imagine Elizabeth standing for the other woman in her relationship being a man.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

lilaney

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on November 09, 2008, 08:57:41 PM

I think Scarlett said it best: "Who's She?"

Strumpets may be like Rental Cars, but they have standards.

... I just realized what I wrote, no pun intended. ;D

DG had it right, Lizzy liked the idea of Jack.
but, she knew Will would be faithful.

DG, where did you see that writer's interview? I would love to read/see it!
(I like the 2nd discs on DVD's, behind the scenes stuffus is so cool!)

RumbaRue

Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

LadyElizabeth

When you look at the interactions between Jack and Liz vs. Will and Liz, I see it like this: Will LOVED Elizabeth and respected her enough to not talk about sexual things with her or hint at them even.  Jack LUSTED after Elizabeth and didn't respect her at all, so he felt completely OK being very sexual in his behavior and in his words to her.  I think that alone made it "seem" like there was more between Jack and Liz than there actually was.  I do not deny that I believe Liz did have some attraction to Jack, but it was not coupled with actual relationship kind of emotions.  I think Liz enjoyed the attention and she liked to flirt too, but it did not go beyond that.  If she were a slutty sort of girl, I'm sure she'd have slept with Jack just for fun, but she wasn't like that.  Plus, she already HAD her hearts desire and the love of her life, Will!!
Queen Elizabeth the 1st
Champagne the Bubbly
Bubbles the Fairy
Frost the Arctic Barbarian
Red the pirate

Lady Amy of York

I  don't think  Jack really  loved  Elizabeth.  I think he  looked at her as being another  fine  treasure  to posess   and  take.
  I think Will loved   Elizabeth.  He was a gentleman  and  respected  her.  I  think he  felt  their  was something up between  Jack and  Elizabeth. I think he  was  confused   and  uncertain about  Elizabeth's  feelings  for  him.
   As  for  Elizabeth  i think  she  did  loved Will at  first,   but  the more  time  she spent  around   Jack    she    found  herself  being   pulled  towards  him.   I  think she   felt she was in love  with Jack, but   in  truth  she  was  actually in love with   who he  was  and  what he  represented.   Like  someone else already said  on   here, she  was  always  fascinated  with  pirates.  I think she  was intrigued and lured, by  the  adventure,  and  romance  of  the  sea   and  being a pirate.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

dragongirl

Quote from: lilaney on November 10, 2008, 08:33:12 AM
Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on November 09, 2008, 08:57:41 PM

I think Scarlett said it best: "Who's She?"

Strumpets may be like Rental Cars, but they have standards.

... I just realized what I wrote, no pun intended. ;D

DG had it right, Lizzy liked the idea of Jack.
but, she knew Will would be faithful.

DG, where did you see that writer's interview? I would love to read/see it!
(I like the 2nd discs on DVD's, behind the scenes stuffus is so cool!)

I cannot remember where I saw the interview.  I thought I had saved it but I was unable to find the link.  Sorry, but I do remember it was with both writers.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Obadiah Jib

For Jack it was all about a good time.

For Elizabeth it was about breaking away and trying something new.  Jack is a temptation and a passion but far too dangerous to be explored.  She knows he'd loose interest after a conquest.

Will is dangerous enough but able to make the long haul (plus you have a long shared history).
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.