News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

So, how was it?

Started by Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman, October 12, 2008, 06:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

Any good? What acts were there?

Cyron

well it was ok for being only the 2nd day ever of a new faire.. i have been to worse.. also i heard that some vendors and what not were missing but would be there next weekend... i dotn think they advertised very good though as from what i gathered it was basically just local advertisement... i dotn know what the gate count was today.. but yesterday they  had 500 or so i heard..

for acts.. ummm.. that dude with the crystal balls was there, hob (he has a bridge and even a hut).. some sca group, living statues, a 2 person comedy act that i forgot the name of, gypsy dancers.. and there might have been 1 or 2 more but i was busy bsing most the time with people there..

note: bees suck.. and are everywhere.. especialy if you get some root beer..  also posion ivy and poison oak if you stray off the path.. but they have signs about that everywhere that it poses a threat.

note2:  i did take pictures.. and alot and alot and alot.. but most are of teh same peeps alot of times.. oh well was learning my camera.. i will have them posted probably tommorrow.
I'm walking in a dream half the time, and sleeping through reality the other half.
Warning: Have camera, WILL Shoot!!

Guinevere of Leonesse

As Cyron, said, everything looked good except for the blooming wasps that was around and about. We wasn't there long as I wanted to make a small trip to the Bronners Christmas store which was great too.

Cyron, my husband and I passed you while you was chatting with someone about a camera, we had our baby daughter and we was both in green and gold. :)

Pictures in other thread.
The more you worry, the longer it will take.

Jon Foster

We got there late and ended up being there "nude". The wasps were a minor issue and I'm sure they will be gone by next week. If not a few wasp traps with some rootbeer in them will do the trick!  ;D

I only took about 150 pictures and I'm going through them right now. So far I'm not real happy with what I have. Either the shade was killing my shots, my camera is failing me or I just didn't do as good of a job as I should have. I'll start posting what I can save tonight.

For the first weekend we thought it was actually pretty decent. As time goes on I'm sure it will pick up. We were going to head down to the Ohio RenFest for their last weekend but I think it's too far and will cost too much (money is tight). Plus I'm really not happy with my pictures so, I think we'll be going back next weekend to get a few more shots. Maybe if we aren't nude the shots will turn out better? Hmm... :-\

Oh ya, there were a bunch of familiar faces mulling around the crowds too.

Jon.

Lord Virgil

Barb and I were both sick this weekend so we didn't make it.  We're heading to Ohio next weekend, so maybe we'll try making it the final weekend.  Sounds like everyone had a decent time, and glad to hear it.
Nothing better in life than enjoying a pint amongst friends...Huzzah!

nliedel

Jim, you look stunning as King Henry the Eight. Julie, it looks like you never used those modesty panels on the dress!!!
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

Lady Gwyndolyn

We were very belssed with wonderful weather this weekend.  We couldn't have asked for it to be any better when it comes to the weather.

The bees were worse on Saturday than they were on Sunday.  But I have been assured that the issue is being taken care of, not just because it is suppose to be a little cooler next weekend, but they are suppose to be spraying or setting traps or something of that sort this week.  At the gate on Sunday the issue was Ladybugs not the bees.   

There were a few merchant spots open, but the owners completely understand that they had previous committments at Grand Valley and they never want to step on any other festivals toes.  So I am informed that there will be more merchants this next weekend. 

As for numbers,  I am told that they had about the same numbers both days.  I was also informed that there were already several repeat patrons.  Including some of the MiRF employees came to visit us.

The "dude with the crystal balls" is Fleck, he also had Jade with him.  Carnivale Mijnoon, Hob the Troll, The Theatrical Combat Network, SCA, Heart and Soul, a Juggler, Sakeena, Joseff & Friends, and another musician are also there.  The Musketeer Training Academy is there as well as face painting and Henna, Games for the kids that are very affordable (50 cents each and with every turn they get a treat and a coin!).  There was also a Magician added this weekend, his name is Kevin and from what I understand he is absolutely phenominal!!  We also had a wonderful visitor from Equinox come to see us and play at the Royal High tea!!  She informed us that more of them will be coming in the following weekends.  Robyn the Bard will be making appearances as he can.  I am told that there are going to be more surprises as the weeks progress!!!

There is a ton of sitting all around the festival grounds.  Plus tables at the food court for sitting and eatting.  TABLES!!! 

I heard that Hob changed his show just for MMRF so, it isn't the same show that he does at MiRF.  I actually got to sit and watch it and I loved it!!!  I can't wait to see the fire show that TCN puts on!!  Or the one that Carnivale Mijnoon does!! 

As with any business when first opening, there were some things that they are going to take care of.  Some kinks to work out.  But there isn't a festival out there anywhere that had a perfect grand opening weekend!!  So they will work on it and get it right.  There is never a day at any festival that there isn't one issue or another that arises. 
Lady Gwyndolyn
Duchess of Kearsley

uhurainmi

I think the faire has a warm, cozy feeling to it. Like a sigh at the end of summer and a winding down of Faire Season.
It was wonderful to Cyron, who I recognize from this forum. I haven't put face to photos posted from the other photographers whose work I enjoy here. Sorry to hear you had tough weekend of shooting.

I didn't eat much of the food so I can't comment. It's chilly in the woods in the morning, so dress in layers. The faire is completely in the woods. The only sunny spot is in front of the Court Diaz.
There is lots of seating.
Fortunately, ah keep mah feathers numbered...for just such an emergency.

Cyron

lol i figured dude with the crystal balls was better then saying doug since i could not remember his stage name.. lol

woot, by by bees.. bees like the root beer. alot.. probably more then me.. lol

oh yah for got about the magician guy.. heard people talking about how they loved that show.. i was to busy talking with people so did not see it.
I'm walking in a dream half the time, and sleeping through reality the other half.
Warning: Have camera, WILL Shoot!!

Jon Foster

I missed most of the shows because I was talking or taking pictures but that's why we'll be going back. To talk and take more pictures, err, ya, watch the shows.  ;)

I think I'd have to agree about the music too. My wife made a comment to me when we left that there needs to be more music drifting through the woods.

I'd actually like to see some open fire cooking too. Not sure how you could do it safely in the woods with patrons all around but some cast iron pots bubbling with fresh soup or stew would add several good smells to get everyone hungry and in the mood to eat. Oh ya, hot bread would be cool too. Ya, can you tell I'm hungry?

The wasps weren't too bad if you stayed away from the rootbeer stand or Cyron's mug and the Japanese beetles were only at the ticket booth. Both can be taken care of with some traps.

Jon.

Black Armor

Sounds nice.  Me and the wife are planning on coming this Saturday although I am worried about the bees since my wife is deathly allergic.  I won't be in the armor but I might wear a "soft" costume (ren shirt & pants and ren boots).  We are planning on having lunch there so I hope the food is good!  Speaking of that, are there turkey legs?  If not, how about a nice roasted chicken?

Guinevere of Leonesse

There's plenty of chicken and turkey legs at the Black Dragon Inn, I think that's what it was called. :)
The more you worry, the longer it will take.

L Dale Walter

QuoteAs with any business when first opening, there were some things that they are going to take care of.  Some kinks to work out.  But there isn't a festival out there anywhere that had a perfect grand opening weekend!!  So they will work on it and get it right.  There is never a day at any festival that there isn't one issue or another that arises. 

It went very smoothly.  Having opend a few faires I saw nothing that would effect a patrons enjoyment of the show.  That is what I watch, do the patrons (NOT RENNIES) like it.  Rennie will come no matter what.  The general public is a tougher sell.

I would also add that Porthos was beyond perfect, he was FRENCH!

Watch for "Retro-Porthos" on weekend four, and perhaps a special REALLY retro surprise for the last day.  All I am saying is that the -real- veterans will be jumping in the way back machine for this one...

L. Dale Walter

Jon Foster

L. Dale Walter, were you running the kids fencing Sunday?

Jon.

nliedel

My fingers ache from sewing on pearls and I can't wait till Sunday!!!!

My journey from mundane to Ren Actor