News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

So, how was it?

Started by Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman, October 12, 2008, 06:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyron

Quote from: L Dale Walter on October 17, 2008, 08:05:14 AM
I personally interacted with everyone who looked like they might like to hit someone with a sword...

LDW

lol i wanted to play but to much of a pain to take my armour all off.. so i bugged you with my camera instead.
I'm walking in a dream half the time, and sleeping through reality the other half.
Warning: Have camera, WILL Shoot!!

nliedel

Quote from: Lady Gwyndolyn on October 17, 2008, 12:46:47 PM
If I have taken anything here said to heart, please try to understand.  Four years of traveling and talking and phone calls all over the US to patrons, playtrons, cast, crew, entertainment, merchants, owners, and staff of other festivals.  Getting answers to a simple question, "What would your dream festival be like?"  And let me tell you, it hasn't been easy.  You have this festival against that festival, you have this entertainment troupe against that entertainment troupe, you have this court against that court.  You have this Queen against that King! 

I WILL NOT HAVE IT AT MMRF!!!!

MMRF is not there to be competitive with any other festival.  It is not there to compaire itself to MiRF or Silverleaf or Mayfaire or ORF or any other festival.  It is it's own identity.  We set our selves to be different.  We are at a time of year that doesn't interfere with any of the known festivals.  (sorry for GV, I wasn't aware of you at the time).  We delyed a week because of Fishers!  We are doing a type of festival that isn't done here in Michigan!  We are NOT in compitition with anyone!  All we wanted to do was to bring together what everyone wanted into one festival.

Which is why I made a dress just for this faire and this faire only.

Okay, the truth is anything for a new dress. Which reminds me, I have snaps to sew. I just got done making a bear for a friend of mine that looks like her garb. So it's time to sew the closures that no one can see. Yes, I use snaps. I should be spanked! Snort.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

Margaret

Back to the debate at hand though....

No, it is not fair (or is that faire?) to compare two different faires, festivals or events.  They are all different - and different does not equal bad.

But I also think that when someone tosses out the statement:  "I think we did it MORE and BETTER", someone is going to come back with a "Prove it."  no matter if you are talking about Court interaction or your ability to crochet pot holders.

That 'prove it' statement made by Katie I don't think was an argument or made out of a line in the sand.  Patron interaction is crucial to faires of any size or duration and it is important to discuss how that can be increased or better managed.  There are many actors and managers in this group, it could turn into a valid and informative discussion if the "My Court is better than your Court" type statements are left out of it.
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

L Dale Walter

Quote from: Lady Gwyndolyn on October 17, 2008, 12:46:47 PM
You have this festival against that festival, you have this entertainment troupe against that entertainment troupe, you have this court against that court.  You have this Queen against that King! 

I WILL NOT HAVE IT AT MMRF!!!!

Wendy unfortunately that isn't your choice.  People will make comparisons, and vote with their dollars.  What goes on here, in a forum that represents maybey 5% of your attendance isn't really what matters.  If every rennie came every day it still is not near enough to make your show fly.

What matters is what do Mr. & Mrs. America and their kids think.  Did they have a good time?  Will they come back?

Acts get compared all the time.  Randy Scott of the Duelists who were performing on the same stage the Don Juan and Miguel were a year earlier told me "People act as if we have them tied up out back..."  Again, these comparisons don't mean a thing.  What does, is draw, hold, and are the patrons (notice I said PATRONS not rennies) enjoying themselves. 

For the most part, I think they were.

Rennies are an odd sub class when it comes to entertainment.  Most people will see a show once, but rennes are often there every day.  They complain when a show is the same every time, even if it is spot on perfect, but Mr. & Mrs. America will see it once.  THEY would much rather have a perfect show than one where the performers spend time goofing around ESPECIALLY on inside jokes, which make patrons feel like they are outsiders.  That is why rennies like music acts.  They have different sets.  That, and they are usually close to the ale tent. <g>

There are shows, and acts that are vastly superior to other ones.  The Swordsmen are, hands down, the best 2 man swordfighting team out there.  I have seen them all.  They draw, hold, and entertain.  They also charge quite a bit for this, but their draw is worth the cost, if your show can afford it.

Which comes back to where we started, in comparing faires.  The bottom line is BUDGET.  Given an unlimited budget you can have an amazing faire.  Get Kenneth Brannagh to play King.  Hire a Hollywood stunt team to do your stunt show on an actual pirate ship (built by a special effects team).  End your day not with a "Fare thee well..."  but with fireworks that fill the sky.  In short, be Disney.  But The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World pulled 17,060,000 people last year which goes a LONG way to pay for such things.

Having been there longer than just about all of you (That's 27 YEARS folks)  I saw MRF in 1980.  I was at SLRF in 1999.  I opened (and closed) CRF this year, and I was there for opening day of MMRF.  Given this perspective I would say that MMRF has made a fine start.  They did not spend far more than they could ever make as at CRF to have a HUGE show year one.   Their acts are fun to watch, and people seem to be enjoying them.  They could use more vendors, but I understand they are coming.  They are navigating dangerous waters ESPECIALLY In this economy, and EVERYONE is trying to make a go of it.  That means a lot.

I think they are doing just fine.  If they keep their horns pulled in, focus on patron enjoyment, and have slow steady growth, they should be OK.

L. Dale Walter
Director
Knights of Iron
Theatrical Production Company

L Dale Walter

Quote from: Katie Bookwench on October 17, 2008, 08:44:27 AM
There is something to be said for setting goals and striving to be regarded as the best -- as long as you never rest, deciding that you ARE the best, and go around gloating about it. Competitive spirit - as long as it remains a friendly competition, is a great way to keep everyone motivated and focused on what is important.

NO NO NO!  I want a WAR.  A real one, with guns.  I want to see Tracey in a camo court dress running through the woods with an M16.  I want to see Caroline (Queen Elizabeth), Meg (Queen Grace), and Paula (Queen Anne) in a STEEL CAGE MATCH to the DEATH!

We'll see who is best once and for all!

LDW   

sealion

I want to see Caroline (Queen Elizabeth), Meg (Queen Grace), and Paula (Queen Anne) in a STEEL CAGE MATCH to the DEATH!

We'll see who is best once and for all!

LDW   
[/quote]

Now there's an idea for a stage show! LOL
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

Guinevere of Leonesse

Do we get to see these fine ladies in leather and chainmaille armor if they were to have it out in a STEEL CAGE MATCH to the DEATH? :D
The more you worry, the longer it will take.

L Dale Walter

Quote from: Guinevere of Leonesse on October 18, 2008, 03:52:17 PM
Do we get to see these fine ladies in leather and chainmaille armor if they were to have it out in a STEEL CAGE MATCH to the DEATH? :D

Only if they are leather and chainmaille bikinis! 

Looking to make some $$$ on this one...

LDW

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: nliedel on October 17, 2008, 06:22:07 PM

Which is why I made a dress just for this faire and this faire only.

Okay, the truth is anything for a new dress. Which reminds me, I have snaps to sew. I just got done making a bear for a friend of mine that looks like her garb. So it's time to sew the closures that no one can see. Yes, I use snaps. I should be spanked! Snort.

Snaps?!? My goodness me! (demmed ripping idea, that).

In fact, I got to see a gown with snaps this very day -- it worked really well.

Maybe I should rethink the old hook-n-eye routine for some of my closures.

/off to work on her cammo court dress

And, by the way... Thank you for that image, Dale. LOL - I snorted just like Nancy when I read it!  :D
Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

Katie Bookwench

So I went today...

Such a beautiful day - and a lovely site as well. My compliments to everyone who worked so hard to make the site look good. You all did such a fantastic job.

There was a positive energy in the air, it was great. I can see it growing by leaps and bounds.

Sybilla, it was a pleasure to meet you today -- I'm just sorry you had to put up with my sister.  ;)  I am at your service, my Lady, if there is anything you might need in the future.
(aka The Bookwench)

Guinevere of Leonesse

Quote from: L Dale Walter on October 18, 2008, 04:31:45 PM

Only if they are leather and chainmaille bikinis! 

Looking to make some $$$ on this one...

LDW

My dearest husband can make the chainmaille bikins! LOL

Margaret

Quote from: Guinevere of Leonesse on October 18, 2008, 07:34:04 PM

You know, winter is coming soon Gwen.  He better make them fur lined.     :D
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Guinevere of Leonesse

Quote from: Margaret on October 19, 2008, 08:21:49 AM
Quote from: Guinevere of Leonesse on October 18, 2008, 07:34:04 PM

You know, winter is coming soon Gwen.  He better make them fur lined.     :D

They are stainless steel bikinis and they are easy to warm up before putting them on. :)

nliedel

A lovely site and a delightful time, overall. I was cold, my own fault. The sun shining through the trees and the falls of leaves was simply enchanting. I have some negative and specific positives, but I will send those to the Duchess personally. Nothing that would make, or break the faire. It was almost all pure joy.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: nliedel on October 20, 2008, 07:05:09 AM
A lovely site and a delightful time, overall. I was cold, my own fault. The sun shining through the trees and the falls of leaves was simply enchanting. I have some negative and specific positives, but I will send those to the Duchess personally. Nothing that would make, or break the faire. It was almost all pure joy.

AHEM....

Pictures?!?!? 
(aka The Bookwench)