News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Me and my son in our new noble garb -NEW Updated Pictures

Started by Lady Amy of York, July 16, 2008, 04:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Amy of York

Hello Friar  Rohn !

The  gown was  a gift  for me  from my husband,  for  all that i had been  through  the past year   and the half. ( The painful  lung biopsy, the  spine  and heart surgery ).   
  He saw  the gown on he internet. The seamstress is out of Tennesee  i think.
   The bodice itself is  a heavy green velvet. It is  ature velvet.  Dry clean  only.

The stomacher part of the bodice is  reversable.   The other side is done  with the same  green and gold  brocade material  as  the underskirt.
   The  overskirt is  done out of the same heavy  green velvet as the bodice.  You can't really tell from the pictures. but there is  a lot of materail  to  the  skirts.    Plus they are both nicely lined inside. 
           Both  the skirts, bodice  and  stomacher  are dry clean  only.    I plan on just brushing the  dirt off witha brush and  spot cleaning  or using  some of the cleaning suggetsions  listed   in the  " Garb " section of  the  forum  for Noble  gowns.

There are gold  grommets  going up both sides of  the stomacher. 
The lacing is  a gold  braid.

As for   the embroidery the seamstress ( once i was told about the gown  from husband )  sent me  email photo's  of several patterns. I picked  the one i liked the best.  It does not look like it was  done  by machine. i think it was hand  sewn.

Yes, i am keping my fingers  crosed for  one cool weekend  at Sterling so  i can wear  the  sleeves  with the  gown too, and get  some  decent photo's. I have  a very good  digital camera that i will bring  with  me.

My son has gone  from  dressing as Robin Hood  as a infant, to dressing as a pirate,  to now wanting to be  a knight.   LOL !

Yes, dressing as a noble is  not easy, or cheap, but it is  fun !

I love the blue brocade material you have posted. very pretty ! And that green one is  gorgeous !

Thankyou to everyone  on  the nice compliments !

Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Friar Rohn the Chronicler

The gown was a gift for me from my husband, for all that i had been through the past year and the half. ( The painful lung biopsy, the spine and heart surgery ). He saw the gown on he internet. The seamstress is out of Tennesee i think.

Beautiful gift. Sorry to hear of your health problems. I myself have had quite a few too, so I know what it's like to bare a few scars from how life can be unfair. Hope that life is better now. We spotted Alexander's doublet and paned slops on eBay. The seamstress is out of Texas and so far has been exceptionally professional. The materials for the first suit were shipped to her last week.

Both the skirts, bodice and stomacher are dry clean only. I plan on just brushing the dirt off with a brush and spot cleaning or using some of the cleaning suggestions listed in the " Garb " section of the forum for Noble gowns.

Yes, some has said to have the materials "prewashed" and thrown into a hot dryer to shrink the material down before be sewn together. I just worry about the colors fading. I'll find that thread. Almost all the materials purchased were from Interior decorating and upholstery stores.

As for the embroidery the seamstress ( once i was told about the gown from husband ) sent me email photo's of several patterns. I picked the one i liked the best. It does not look like it was done by machine. i think it was hand sewn.

If it was hand sewn, she must have been very talented. Most embroidery is done by machine. The seamstress we chose let us shop for the specific fabrics and has made several changes without a problems (adding the grommets and ties along the sides of the doublets for future growth, adding a velvet collar and grommets on the tips of the shoulderblades to anchor his "chains of office").

Yes, I am keeping my fingers crossed for one cool weekend at Sterling so I can wear the sleeves with the gown too, and get some decent photo's. I have a very good digital camera that I will bring with me.

I specifically looked for fabrics that are lightweight and "breathable". The brocades are fairly thin and porous and then we used poplins and velveteen's for the other materials. Oklahoma & Texas weather is so unpredictable. The paned slops will not be very puffy with filler, she's going to fill them with unwound fishing line to give them a little structure and it will allow them to breathe through easier. The blue suit will have sleeves and the green without.

My son has gone from dressing as Robin Hood as a infant, to dressing as a pirate, to now wanting to be a knight. LOL !

I didn't take very many photos of the kids in the crowds during the last RenFest unless if they were dressed out (except for my niece's classmates on Student Day). There was a hodgepodge of different styles for the kids. Merchant class, one kid dressed as Alladin, several Harry Potter style wizards, a Robin Hood, and pirates seemed to be the favorite. Steven (now 18) dressed as a Knights Templar. Ericka (now 13) was always dressed period upper style and remembers how Queen Margaret would "borrow her" and incorporate her into the royal procession for several hours as a visiting royal from "the Spanish Court". Now it's Alexander's turn to be a playtron.

Yes, dressing as a noble is not easy, or cheap, but it is fun !

Yeah.... it's sticker shock time. That green brocade material is $97 per yard. We've enjoyed going over different styles (over Lord knows how many games of Blitz Chess) over various episode of the Tudors on the big screen.

I love the blue brocade material you have posted. very pretty ! And that green one is gorgeous!

The blue brocade was the hardest material to find. Originally we saw something like it on Damsel In This Dress's pirate section. Their's was black and gold and they don't sell just the fabric. We couldn't find a match like it on the web. Some of the local players suggested to drive out to a outlet fabric center about 30 miles outside of town. Finally had some extra time off and drove out there, went through their showroom floor and remnants area without luck. I was walking out the door and there hanging as drapes right beside the door was the fabric as a drape for $20 for around 4-5 yards. Lucked out. Alexander likes it better because it's blue.

We found the green material yesterday, it'll take a couple of weeks for it to be shipped in. We were looking for the same style as the blue brocade but in a dark hunter green. Design-wise, we were finding more browns and golds or light greenish-blue teal colors. We were happy with the green material. 

Friar Rohn

Lady Amy of York

Quote from: Friar Rohn the Chronicler on July 20, 2008, 09:21:07 PM
The gown was a gift for me from my husband, for all that i had been through the past year and the half. ( The painful lung biopsy, the spine and heart surgery ). He saw the gown on he internet. The seamstress is out of Tennesee i think.

Beautiful gift. Sorry to hear of your health problems. I myself have had quite a few too, so I know what it's like to bare a few scars from how life can be unfair. Hope that life is better now. We spotted Alexander's doublet and paned slops on eBay. The seamstress is out of Texas and so far has been exceptionally professional. The materials for the first suit were shipped to her last week.

Both the skirts, bodice and stomacher are dry clean only. I plan on just brushing the dirt off with a brush and spot cleaning or using some of the cleaning suggestions listed in the " Garb " section of the forum for Noble gowns.

Yes, some has said to have the materials "prewashed" and thrown into a hot dryer to shrink the material down before be sewn together. I just worry about the colors fading. I'll find that thread. Almost all the materials purchased were from Interior decorating and upholstery stores.

As for the embroidery the seamstress ( once i was told about the gown from husband ) sent me email photo's of several patterns. I picked the one i liked the best. It does not look like it was done by machine. i think it was hand sewn.

If it was hand sewn, she must have been very talented. Most embroidery is done by machine. The seamstress we chose let us shop for the specific fabrics and has made several changes without a problems (adding the grommets and ties along the sides of the doublets for future growth, adding a velvet collar and grommets on the tips of the shoulderblades to anchor his "chains of office").

Yes, I am keeping my fingers crossed for one cool weekend at Sterling so I can wear the sleeves with the gown too, and get some decent photo's. I have a very good digital camera that I will bring with me.

I specifically looked for fabrics that are lightweight and "breathable". The brocades are fairly thin and porous and then we used poplins and velveteen's for the other materials. Oklahoma & Texas weather is so unpredictable. The paned slops will not be very puffy with filler, she's going to fill them with unwound fishing line to give them a little structure and it will allow them to breathe through easier. The blue suit will have sleeves and the green without.

My son has gone from dressing as Robin Hood as a infant, to dressing as a pirate, to now wanting to be a knight. LOL !

I didn't take very many photos of the kids in the crowds during the last RenFest unless if they were dressed out (except for my niece's classmates on Student Day). There was a hodgepodge of different styles for the kids. Merchant class, one kid dressed as Alladin, several Harry Potter style wizards, a Robin Hood, and pirates seemed to be the favorite. Steven (now 18) dressed as a Knights Templar. Ericka (now 13) was always dressed period upper style and remembers how Queen Margaret would "borrow her" and incorporate her into the royal procession for several hours as a visiting royal from "the Spanish Court". Now it's Alexander's turn to be a playtron.

Yes, dressing as a noble is not easy, or cheap, but it is fun !

Yeah.... it's sticker shock time. That green brocade material is $97 per yard. We've enjoyed going over different styles (over Lord knows how many games of Blitz Chess) over various episode of the Tudors on the big screen.

I love the blue brocade material you have posted. very pretty ! And that green one is gorgeous!

The blue brocade was the hardest material to find. Originally we saw something like it on Damsel In This Dress's pirate section. Their's was black and gold and they don't sell just the fabric. We couldn't find a match like it on the web. Some of the local players suggested to drive out to a outlet fabric center about 30 miles outside of town. Finally had some extra time off and drove out there, went through their showroom floor and remnants area without luck. I was walking out the door and there hanging as drapes right beside the door was the fabric as a drape for $20 for around 4-5 yards. Lucked out. Alexander likes it better because it's blue.

We found the green material yesterday, it'll take a couple of weeks for it to be shipped in. We were looking for the same style as the blue brocade but in a dark hunter green. Design-wise, we were finding more browns and golds or light greenish-blue teal colors. We were happy with the green material. 

Friar Rohn

I'm doing alot better health wise, thankyou. ( i ended up having a non cancerous tumor on my spine  that went   for a long time  misdiagnosed removed   this year .) Do posts  pictures of Alexander's  garb when it gets  done.

daylight

Well don`t you look stunning in that gown, and by the way your son is adorable you both look wounderful

Lady Amy of York

Thankyou Daylight!  I have some pictures from this past weekend  in our new pirate garb  that i will have to post  when i get around  to it.
  I hoping that next weekend at faire it will be cool enough  to  wear the sleeves, and the ruff, and  my tall hat with  my gown, so i can show off the complete ensemble !    if not i will just have to put them on here at home, so i can get a picture  to show you all ! :) 

Do posts  pictures of Alexander's  garb when it gets  done.

Here's a representation of what I want it to look like. The seamstress needed a layout of the three fabrics and I photoshopped this up for her this morning. We're still searching for a similar brocade fabric for the second suit but in a dark hunter green and gold.

Friar Rohn

Lady Amy of York

wow, that is one sharp looking nobleman's outfit !

Thanks.....

I'm hoping it will come out just like this. The seamstress loved that I did up a photoshopped version for her to follow. Most of her client's apparently try to describe the layout of a suit that would be hard to follow by verbal description. When I was younger, I've had a lot of design work background and that took me about 20 minutes to whip up with Photoshop.
        There are a few basic design changes, a couple of extra grommet holes on the shoulder blades to tie down the "chains of office". A collar and extra grommets and ties along the rib cage in case he hits a growth spurt (she's making room for that). As you probably know with the kids, you don't how much they grow on a daily basis until you pull out the garb from the back of the closet after several months. When he eventually outgrows them, we will probably donate them to the costume rental shop set up at the Castle.

Friar Rohn

Lady Amy of York

Updated October 18.

As promise here are the pictures of me   in my full noble  court attire--  ( hat, sleeves, purse, etc )

here is  me  and  my  son

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/nobleclan_album/P1010040.jpg

at Sterling with some  friends

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/nobleclan_album/GroupAmyKnights2.jpg

my friend Julie, my husband Tim, my son Timothy, and I  at Sterling

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/nobleclan_album/JulieTimAmyTimothy.jpg

and  my  pirate  garb

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t142/nobleclan_album/P1010028.jpg

renren

What a beautiful (and well dressed) family!
Thanks for sharing the pics, Amy!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Celtic_Fae

Kate XXXXXX