News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

TRF 2ND ANNUAL THANKSGIVING POT LUCK DINNER- ALL ARE WELCOME!

Started by Blue66669, October 13, 2008, 02:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brier patch charlie

I think I can help Blue out on the Homebrewd bev, I have a Gal. set aside for TRF. It's had a year to age, ha, ha, ha,!
Charles Coleman

Zaubon

Quote from: Muffin on October 13, 2008, 02:46:34 PM
If all goes right we should be rolling into the campground on Thursday late afternoon/early evening.. 

Since we are coming from Minnesoooota doncha know, I'm going to try to bring some lefsa.. Mmmmmm with butter and cinnamon and sugar!!  ;D

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.. but whatever it is, it will need to keep while we are driving for two days!!  :P ;D :-*
Lefsa will be a wonderful addition.
However have no doubt in you mind that if you show up with Lutefisk you will be immediately ejected from Mclotofus' camp, and if you open the packaging of that nasty industrial waste while up wind of said camp I will personally hunt you down and terminate you wit extreme prejudice. The stink of that nasty stuff will probably force me to spend three days getting you all the way dead.
No I don't particularly care for Lutefisk. It's the one thing that has convinced me that the Norwegians will survive the cockroaches, because even they will not eat that cr*p.

LadyTrinn

Don't hold back Zaubon...it's not healthy...tell us how you *really* feel... :P
I like this place and could willingly waste my time in it~As You Like It~W. Shakespeare~

Muffin

Quote from: Zaubon on October 13, 2008, 08:14:05 PM
Quote from: Muffin on October 13, 2008, 02:46:34 PM
If all goes right we should be rolling into the campground on Thursday late afternoon/early evening.. 

Since we are coming from Minnesoooota doncha know, I'm going to try to bring some lefsa.. Mmmmmm with butter and cinnamon and sugar!!  ;D

If you have any other suggestions please let me know.. but whatever it is, it will need to keep while we are driving for two days!!  :P ;D :-*
Lefsa will be a wonderful addition.
However have no doubt in you mind that if you show up with Lutefisk you will be immediately ejected from Mclotofus' camp, and if you open the packaging of that nasty industrial waste while up wind of said camp I will personally hunt you down and terminate you wit extreme prejudice. The stink of that nasty stuff will probably force me to spend three days getting you all the way dead.
No I don't particularly care for Lutefisk. It's the one thing that has convinced me that the Norwegians will survive the cockroaches, because even they will not eat that cr*p.

No worries my friend I wouldn't even serve that muck to Bacardi!!!  :P hee hee!! Lefsa YES!! Lutefisk... blech... even the thought... oh.. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit....  :-X  :D
A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

Aiacha

All right, I think I'll make some cranberry sauce and pumpkin bread.  I'm thinking about soup, I saw a recipe that sounded great, but I've not decided on that yet.

Lady Ann of Draycott

Quote from: Aiacha on October 14, 2008, 08:41:33 AM
All right, I think I'll make some cranberry sauce and pumpkin bread.  I'm thinking about soup, I saw a recipe that sounded great, but I've not decided on that yet.

YAY Pumpkin Bread!!!  'tis very yummy!!!  ;)

Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

mpullen

Bonny Pearl

working on convincing the hubby that we NEED to be at this festive dinner.  He said that if we all dress as pilgrims and indians, he'd go  ;D ...what a dorkamus.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Lady Ann of Draycott

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on October 15, 2008, 11:24:11 AM
working on convincing the hubby that we NEED to be at this festive dinner.  He said that if we all dress as pilgrims and indians, he'd go  ;D ...what a dorkamus.

um...good luck with that...best we can hope for are maybe some pirates and wenches  ;) ;D

Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

cigar dave

im starting to think about doing this. think it may be a fun way to spend several days.

Elnarii

Lord Dragonspyre

Corrupting Impressionable Youths Since 1976.

IBRSC#1475, RMG#820, IFRP#1276
Horseman of Debauchery

Elnarii

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on October 15, 2008, 11:24:11 AM

Just remind him that there have been Autumnal Harvest festivals throughout every age.

Tell him this story:

In ancient Britain a corn dolly was created by plaiting the wheat stalks to create a straw figure. The corn dolly was kept until the spring. This was done as people believed that the corn spirit lived in the wheat and as the wheat was harvested, the spirit fled to the wheat which remained. By creating the dolly the spirit was kept alive for the next year and for the new crop.

There is a story about the corn dolly which is to be found in the folksong John Barleycorn. Three men swear that John Barleycorn must die. They take a plough (plow) and bury him alive. But in the spring he rises through the soil. After a while he grows big and strong, even growing a beard, so the three men cut him down at the knee, tie him on to a cart, beat him, strip the flesh off his bones and grind him between two stones. But at the end it is John Barleycorn who defeats his opponents, proving the stronger man, by turning into beer.

Start refering to TRF Thanksgiving Dinner as the "Festival of John Barleycorn", and tell him he gets to drink all the beer he wants! See if that will change his mind...   ;D

http://www.harvestfestivals.net/johnbarleycorn.htm
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

MacLaren

I'm in for a truckload of firewood and a table. May think of some type of food as well.
Dan
Clan McLotofus
Captain, HMS Landshark
ROoL #78, guppy
FOKTOP