News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Non-Renaissance Songs That Would Make Great Faire Songs

Started by Lady Nicolette, October 23, 2008, 09:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalcelt

Music wise the Edmund Fitzgerald fits in, but the mention of some modern things in the song make it a trifle difficult. Most notably, The Great Lakes, The Captain Wired in he had water coming in. Detroit and the like. If you could modify the lyrics to fit a medieval theme, then it would be a great addition. It should be noted that whenever one of my friends is nearby and I am performing that I play the song for her. This is usually at a pub, not at the Faire. Some Gordon Lightfoot songs would fit in perfectly tho! Most notably Minstrel of the Dawn.

Merlin the Elder

Interesting note about The Edmund Fitzgerald—Gordon Lightfoot changed some of the lyrics when evidence arose regarding the tragedy. It appears that human error was not the cause, as the lyrics had insinuated. It is one of my favourite Lightfoot songs.

There are lots of tunes written by/for artists such as Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, The House Band, Ralph McTell, that have been written in the past few decades that would certainly work for faire. I've heard a few tunes at faire that work, but are ever so slightly distracting because I know the decidedly unfolkish source, but I like anyway because the performers are being creative with it.

There is one faire performer that just irritates the bejezus out of me, but is incredibly popular at faires. I actually like what is done, I just don't like it in the faire atmosphere. I'll chalk it up to me being the problem.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

The Lady Mercedes

Hmmm those posts certainly got me thinking! Thanks guys! :)
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

After we saw Wine and Alchemy 2 years ago do Matty Groves, got me remembering that Fairport did that too, and I started to listen again to them. 
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

Fairport and its many members, past and present, are fairly well represented in my music collection. I've been a fan since 1970 when I was a campus radio station program director.

For whatever reason, I was fascinated by the `71 release Babbacombe Lee, which is credited as being the first folk-rock opera. It was a commercial disappointment, but was well-received by critics. It's the Victorian-age story of a murderer's attempted execution...typical folk fodder.  I have an original promotional copy of the vinyl record. I had fiddler Dave Swarbrick autograph it when he was touring with Martin Carthy and I co-produced their show in Little Rock. Some years later, I met up with Fairport in Houston when they played an international fest. The other three members of the Babbacombe Lee-era band then autographed it. Dave Mattacks seemed a bit surprised to even see a copy of it, because of the minimal public interest in that album. But he did say to me, "Boy...this sure brings back some memories."  Fairport Convention remains one of my most favourite bands.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

Sandy Denny was an awesome talent, taken from this world way too soon. The album Fotheringay that she put out with husband-to-be Trevor Lucas is a work of art.  She is the only guest vocalist ever to appear on a Led Zeppelin album, in the song Battle of Evermore.  I still love to drench myself in her voice...

Lady Nicolette

HUGE fan of all of the Brit 60's/70's era folk/renaissance groups, especially the Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson oeuvre!
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

metalcelt

Jolly Roger by Roger McGuinn. Was just introduced to this tune a couple days ago, going to make it part of my repertoire!

Rapier Half-Wit

If her eyes aren't sparkling, you didn't do it right...

Poldugarian Warrior

"What about love?" by Heart,  "Southern Cross" by Steven Stills

dragongirl

Well I'm shocked that the first one was not mentioned yet, but these were the songs that sprang to mind when I read this thread:

Bohemian Rhaposdy-Queen (cann't you just hear Boggie Knights doing this one)

My Heart is like a River-Rebecca Lavalle

Shiver My Timbers-Bette Midler

The Tempest/Beast of Pirate's Bay/Bottom of the Sea-Voltaire

La Pucelle-Coyote Run

Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Capt. William Drake

This pirate likes the tune "fields of gold" by Sting.  I really like the instruments and the song has a nice story when you listen to it.
Psalms 115: "Not to us, Lord not to us but to your name the glory, because of your love and faithfulness." Amen.

metalcelt

Any mention of Coyote Run songs is kinda odd I think as they play Ren Faires. They have been at PARF the last couple years, now if they stop playing faires, then they can be added to this list :)

They are a phenomenal band and I am currently impatiently waiting for my copy of 10 1/2 to get to my mail box!

Poldugarian Warrior

Devil Went Down To Georgia, by The Charlie Daniels Band

Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd