News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Inner Villians

Started by Obadiah Jib, October 25, 2008, 12:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obadiah Jib

Do you suppose many of us take on the role of pirate to balance out or naughty side?  Is the voice of your inner villain perhaps a little louder than the voice of the heroic knight or princess?  When the little angel appears on your right side and the little devil on your left are you more likely to listen to the devil?  We are talking about some very wicked people and yet we admire them and seek to portray them...
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Captain Jack Wolfe

Considering that the angel keeps steering me wrong, I'm buying a little Louisville Slugger bat for the devil so he can kneecap the tiny winged freak.

I recall an interview acting legend Vincent Price gave where he talked about why he enjoyed playing the villain.  He said that villains get the best lines and the most memorable roles because they can be played in innumerably more dimensions that heroes.  Villains get to be unpredictable and crafty.  Heroes tend to be 2-dimensional and utterly predictable, hence, dull.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Blackjack Roberts

Never had the little angel on the shoulder. Me and the little devil kidnapped the bugger and are holdin' him fer ransom!  ;) :D

Me only other character be a highwayman. Once an outlaw, always an outlaw says I. ;D

Welsh Wench

I get to wear really cool boots and a hat with lots of big feathers.
A rapier worn on the hips is slenderizing as it draws the eye down the curves, accentuating my hips which are small while taking the eyes away from the...oh, look!
More boots!

It's all about fashion, you know.  ;)

And as I recall, Mmketeer offered to watch the little angel while I went to Ette Tu.
*sigh* Some day I really should go pick up that little microchip, bless her heart.  :D
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Captain Jack Wolfe

Wait, you were wearing a rapier?  I never noticed!  I was too busy looking at your... eyes.  Yeah!  That's the ticket!   ;) :D

You collect your angel, and I'll snare mine.  I've got the shovel if you've got the corn!  ;D

Have I ever mentioned I really despise that little angel?  ;)
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Lord Figaro

I enjoy the expansiveness of what the villan can be. Kind of in line with what Vincent Price said. It's got way more dimensions than a regular character. You can go places and do more with the darker side. Come, feel the POWER of the dark side. 
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Obadiah Jib

Have you ever been accused as being more of a villain instead of a hero?

Morgan Dreadlocke

A few years back I was moonlightin' in a wrastlin' gig. T'was far easier ta play the heel than the hero. Dressed in white ya must be followin' rules an have proper eddicate. Playin' in black, almost anything goes ;D

Faire be better, it don't leave ya bruised, contused an concussed.
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

Captain Jack Wolfe

If I haven't walked out being called uncouth, unruly, unmanageable, irrepressible, and incorrigible, but damn, do it again, at least three times, I haven't done my job.  ;D

Welsh Wench

You go back, Jack, do it again
Wheels turnin' 'round and 'round....

*sigh* I just love Steely Dan.

The group.
THE GROUP!  :-[

Blackjack Roberts

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on October 25, 2008, 11:50:50 PM
Have you ever been accused as being more of a villain instead of a hero?

Always, Mate! ;D

'A course it do seem ta be a matter 'a perspective.

Ever notice how the most dastardly 'a villains can become folk heroes? It doesn't seem ta matter which side 'a the law yer on........as long as ye do it with style. ;) :D

Blast! I miss that little devil smiley!!

Welsh Wench

It all comes down to one thing, gentlemen--and take heed of this.

BAD BAD BAD BAD BOYS...
YA MAKE ME FEEL SO GOOD!

Captain Jack Wolfe

Music to my ears!  ;D ;)

If that's not enough incentive for a man to turn pirate, something is very, very wrong...

renren

I just love the unpredictability of it!
Never been big on rules,anyway!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

RumbaRue

Me villain?  Hahahaaaaaaaa!

I do whatever Skippy wants me to do.

Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

lilaney

There are types of Villians.
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2005-03-20-n89.html
I like this one's dissection.

But, there is this one as well...
http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Types_of_Villains

Vincent Price has a point, the Villian has more avenues to his eventual conclusion.
But! The one Cardinal Rule to being a Villain is: You must always Lose!!

It is a strong person who can play the Villian, it is a good sportsman who can poignantly
bring a Villian to life, so overall, it is a true gentleman who can play the True Villian.

*I would like to think I am a Villian, but, personally I am about as threatening as a Pokemon. Or as my SO says, I'm as intimidating as a Little Yellow Chinchilla (Piccachu)*

Blackjack Roberts

Quote from: lilaney on October 27, 2008, 01:01:06 PM

It is a strong person who can play the Villian, it is a good sportsman who can poignantly
bring a Villian to life, so overall, it is a true gentleman who can play the True Villian.

*I would like to think I am a Villian, but, personally I am about as threatening as a Pokemon. Or as my SO says, I'm as intimidating as a Little Yellow Chinchilla (Piccachu)*

Exactly, Luv!

One of the main reasons I chose a Highwayman as my main incarnation. As Mad Jack stated in another post about the time period of our pirate characters; research and history.

From the website "Stand and deliver: A history of the highwaymen"
http://www.stand-and-deliver.org.uk/index.htm

"The dangerous figure in the road at night...the dashing and romantic gentleman thief...the loner on the run for a crime he didn't commit...the righteous rebel who rises from obscurity to help the less fortunate-- highwaymen are some of the most beloved and universal of archetypal heroes--or anti-heroes--that we know. Literature and media both about with the light-fingered gentry and artful dodgers, footpads, desperadoes, and other dashing, dangerous and fascinating miscreants. "

Claude Du Vall, John "Swift Nick" Nevison, Dick Turpin (Who was part of the inspiration for "Black Jack" as Well as the Poem). Gentlemen robbers, who's real life exploits were far more exciting and fascinating than simple fiction.

BTW....Yer SO didn't see ye in the alley at La Ville du Traitre.....I did!  ;) :D :D :D

lilaney

Obadiah Jib

But most of you would say that you are "good hearted villains"?  Perhaps a bit closer to Han Solo than say Darth Vader?

Captain Jack Wolfe

Darth Vader would be a downer to play all day, disapproving prat that he is.  Far more fun to be causing mayhem and mischief than outright malicious malevolence.  ;D

dragongirl

I see my Charater as a good person who has to make what seems like bad choices because the "moral community" has failed her.  She is not a villian, more like an Anti-Hero.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

Blackjack Roberts

Aye! The Snidely Whiplash persona would be too tedious. All that tieing lasses to train tracks and such.

The anti-hero is much more fun and far more prevalent in literature. The Scarlet Pimpernel, Zoro, Robin Hood, and on and on.

I think the majority of us take great pleasure in a character that commits noble deeds, or has noble ideas, and still stands outside the letter of the law. Those kind of persona's allow us to feed both our desire to be rebellious and still be a good person at heart.

Not a bad combination when one thinks of it.

Welsh Wench

I prefer to think of myself as a good girl gone wrong!

I get to dress in black, have lots of feathers in my hat....and if we had a weapons faire, I'd get a big bad-arse rapier.
No hoops and fluttering fans for me.
How utterly boring.

But to each their own.

Besides, good girls go to heaven, bad girls go everywhere!

Captain Jack Wolfe

I fit better into the anti-hero category.  A bit like Lee Marvin in "Cat Ballou".  Reluctant to do anything remotely noble unless there's something to gain.  Of course there are exceptions to the rule, depending on who does the asking...  8)

Martin Montgomery

I don't know where I fit in  :-\ Martin IS Monte and Monte IS Martin!!!!  I like the fact that most of the time I follow all ten Commandments but at faire (Or when writing in DMT) I find that they are kinda like seven Commandments two Suggestions and a Ringer!!
Half the man I used to be!! 
Landshark#79      
Member of Culloden Moor

Obadiah Jib

Oh I think a good number of us play the type of character at a Festival or Faire that we really are...

Maybe the other person we play 24-7 is the character the role of life 'forces' us to play?

Captain Jack Wolfe

Funny you should put it that way, Jib.  That's EXACTLY the explanation I gave someone not too long ago.  It's not a portrayal, it's me with the safeties off and the volume turned up to 11.  ;D

Welsh Wench

I agree.
We don't stray too far from what we really are but we can leave it at the gate at the end of the day.
The trouble starts when that character is your driver going home and walks in the door instead of you.

Obadiah Jib

Of course sometimes I think it's a good idea to let out your inner villain (even if that character is just a rascal with a heart of gold).