News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pants Question

Started by Son of Ugly, November 02, 2008, 02:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elennare

Bit late with the reply, but another really good option is gi pants.  You can get them for not that much at any martial arts supply store, and they don't have the pocket to remove.

Just about all the guys in my stage combat troupe wore them, and they looked great.  They hold up extremely well too.  In addition to wearing them all day at faire for the entire run, they were worn quite a few times throughout the year as well, as we did many performances all year long.  And they were doing crazy things like rolls and high falls and performing fights in them, and too my knowledge, no one ever had a problem with them or ripped them.
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Son of Ugly

Quote from: Elennare on November 05, 2008, 03:14:43 PM
Bit late with the reply, but another really good option is gi pants.  You can get them for not that much at any martial arts supply store, and they don't have the pocket to remove.

Just about all the guys in my stage combat troupe wore them, and they looked great.  They hold up extremely well too.  In addition to wearing them all day at faire for the entire run, they were worn quite a few times throughout the year as well, as we did many performances all year long.  And they were doing crazy things like rolls and high falls and performing fights in them, and too my knowledge, no one ever had a problem with them or ripped them.

Not too late as far as I'm concerned.  I'm still open to suggestions. 

Thanks for yet another good idea. 

BTW, I had no idea what gi pants were.  When I saw "gi", I assumed that they were some sort of military surplus pants.  Then, I couldn't figure out why in the world they would be available in a martial arts supply store.  After a little bit of googling, I now get it.  LOL!

jcbanner

Last year as I was driving to KCRF, I realized I left my garb pants back at home, (in St Louis, atleast 2 hours behind me.)

I bought a pair of loose brown cotten slacks at walmart as a replacement and with my shirt hiding the top of the pants and the legs tucked into my boots, no one even realized I wasn't wearing my normal garb pants.  It was so nice having pockets with my garb, I started wearing them at my home faire! :D
  (shhh, the costuming diva's at my faire havent realized I've been wearing slacks yet ;))

Taffy Saltwater

If there's a bit of hem, you could take that seam ripper, rip out about 1/2 inch of the hem at the seam in the inside & run a cord or elastic through the hem.  Use a safety pin as the needle to pull the cord/elastic through.  Stitch to finish off.

Or you could take a wide-ish piece of elastic & stitch to both seams to make stirrups - hey, it worked in the '80's!
Sveethot!

iain robb

Well, as you can see from the responses, finding the right pants can be a real challenge. Go with a kilt. Any kilt would look great with your outfit.  ;D

Son of Ugly

Quote from: jcbanner on November 07, 2008, 01:05:10 AM
Last year as I was driving to KCRF, I realized I left my garb pants back at home, (in St Louis, atleast 2 hours behind me.)

I bought a pair of loose brown cotten slacks at walmart as a replacement and with my shirt hiding the top of the pants and the legs tucked into my boots, no one even realized I wasn't wearing my normal garb pants.  It was so nice having pockets with my garb, I started wearing them at my home faire! :D
  (shhh, the costuming diva's at my faire havent realized I've been wearing slacks yet ;))
Pockets would be nice!  Thanks for the idea!  (don't worry, your secret is safe with me ;)) lol

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on November 07, 2008, 06:15:34 AM
If there's a bit of hem, you could take that seam ripper, rip out about 1/2 inch of the hem at the seam in the inside & run a cord or elastic through the hem.  Use a safety pin as the needle to pull the cord/elastic through.  Stitch to finish off.

Or you could take a wide-ish piece of elastic & stitch to both seams to make stirrups - hey, it worked in the '80's!

I was wondering about doing something like that.    If I can't get by with just tucking them in, I'll have to find a way to try one of your ideas.  (my sewing skills are pretty sad)  Thank you. 

Quote from: iain robb on November 07, 2008, 07:43:23 AM
Well, as you can see from the responses, finding the right pants can be a real challenge. Go with a kilt. Any kilt would look great with your outfit.  ;D

I'm definitely not against wearing a kilt (I do have a bit of Scottish blood running through my veins), but I think for my first time in garb, I'll go for pants.  Thanks!

Marietta Graziella

You could always try what we did in the military.  We used elastisized bands (ours are purpose made with hooks on both ends) to "blouse" the pants over the tops of the boots.    Some people tuck them into the boots but I think the blousing looks much nicer.  The elastic would help hold things in place and keep things looking neat.
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Son of Ugly

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on November 08, 2008, 08:41:12 AM
You could always try what we did in the military.  We used elastisized bands (ours are purpose made with hooks on both ends) to "blouse" the pants over the tops of the boots.    Some people tuck them into the boots but I think the blousing looks much nicer.  The elastic would help hold things in place and keep things looking neat.

Interesting.  Where would I find these bands?

Celtic Lady

I must say that all of the suggestions that I've read have been really helpful to me. My son is the bestman at my wedding but he cannot afford anything real expensive so this has been great new for us.

As for the elastic bands, I would think that you could go to any fabric store and buy a package of wide elastic. All you would need to do is measure around your leg where you want the band to be, mark it just a wee bit shorter than what you measured, stitch it up, and cut away the exces. Hopefully my explanation is clearer than mud  :).

Son of Ugly

Quote from: Celtic Lady on November 09, 2008, 10:40:42 AM
I must say that all of the suggestions that I've read have been really helpful to me. My son is the bestman at my wedding but he cannot afford anything real expensive so this has been great new for us.

As for the elastic bands, I would think that you could go to any fabric store and buy a package of wide elastic. All you would need to do is measure around your leg where you want the band to be, mark it just a wee bit shorter than what you measured, stitch it up, and cut away the exces. Hopefully my explanation is clearer than mud  :).

That sounds like a great idea as well.  After doing a little googling for "blousing straps", I found quite a few places that sell them. (including a military surplus store that's not far from me)  I also found a post in a forum saying that they used an elastic hair band to blouse the bottoms of their pants.  I guess if a person found one that was large enough that it wouldn't cut off circulation, it would probably work.

I went to the Texas Renaissance Festival yesterday (still without garb since it has yet to arrive) and was talking to a garbed fellow that informed me that he was actually wearing a pair of women's pants.  They looked great plus, he got them really cheap at a thrift store.  At first I wasn't sure I'd be comfortable knowing that the pants I was wearing were made for women, but after I thought about it, I figured what the heck?  After all, it's not like they've got "Hey look, I'm wearing women's pants!" silk screened across the rear.  Anyway, this may be another possible solution.

gypsylakat

I will point out this... in regards to women's pants.. If you're unused to wearing "tighter" fitted pants.. you may find that they lack room in "certain" places *ahem*
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Son of Ugly

Quote from: gypsylakat on November 09, 2008, 04:37:09 PM
I will point out this... in regards to women's pants.. If you're unused to wearing "tighter" fitted pants.. you may find that they lack room in "certain" places *ahem*

Good point!  I wasn't really all that crazy about wearing women's pants anyway.;D

Marietta Graziella

Glad you found a source for the blousing straps.  They are terrific for keeping things in place.  I must've gone thru a dozen pair!  I had a set in the pockets of every pair of GI pants I owned.  (a little pun from the gi pants).   ;)

Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Son of Ugly

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on November 10, 2008, 07:32:54 AM
Glad you found a source for the blousing straps.  They are terrific for keeping things in place.  I must've gone thru a dozen pair!  I had a set in the pockets of every pair of GI pants I owned.  (a little pun from the gi pants).   ;)

Hey, I guess a pair of blousing straps would turn almost any pair of pants into GI pants! ;D 

I think I'll purchase more than one pair so I'll have a few spares.

Auryn

You can get those straps at an army navy surplus store.
I've got the boyfriend picking some up today.
He is former army and told me about them.
I'm hoping they will help hold up my boots.

You should post a pic when you get it all ready
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec