News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

leather finishing product

Started by Auryn, November 13, 2008, 11:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

Hi
Im hoping you guys can help.
I am looking for some kind of leather finishing product. You know the stuff you need to put on leather after you've dyed it.
I know I can get it at tandy leather, but the store is almost an hr driving each way.
Anyone know something that I can get maybe a little easier? like at a hardware store or some kind of craft store??
the only AC Moore by me doesnt carry any.

I'm just hoping to not have to make the drive.
thanks
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

PurpleDragon

One thing you can do is use a spray clear coat.  Essentially it is a sealer that you can use on spray paint sort of like the clear coat they put on a car after it's been painted.  It's a good thing you are asking about this, too many times I have seen people dye leather and not seal it and then wonder why the dye comes off when they sweat after wearing it all day.  You can check the paint section of WalMart and the like to see if they might have it.  I think Krylon puts one out, and it will be much less expensive than anything Tandy would sell you.  (Nothing against Tandy, but their prices can be a bit outrageous sometimes).
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Auryn

Thanks PurpleDragon

so I can use the clear spray gloss that I can get at home depot?? the same stuff I used to seal the stain on my dresser??

if so thats awesome, home depot is across the street from my house and I needed to go get clear gloss seal anyway

thank you
thank you
thank you
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

PurpleDragon

Yes, you can use it.. however you must remember that you still have to care for the leather otherwise it will rot on you. 
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Auryn

Care for it in what way do you mean??

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me.

Taffy Saltwater

Clean it w/saddle soap occasionally & give it a good going over w/mink oil to help preserve it.   Kiwi makes them both - in green tins.
Sveethot!

jcbanner

a sealer I use on some things I make is an acrylic spray sealant that can be found in the craft section of walmart. I'll also use water proofing sprays found in the shoe section of stores.

if I need to use both, (items that typically will get exceccive use and be expeosed to weather) I'll use the waterproffer 1st since that needs to soak into the leather and the acrylic is primarily a top applicant

Auryn

thanks guys
I got the saddle soap and mink oil at target of all places

man the mink oil sure smells funky. How long does it take for the smell to go away??

The sealant spray- does that make the leather hard??
I ask because I am making my Bf a leather vest and was going to finish it the way you guys suggest( saddle soap, mink oil and then sealant- the leather is already dyed) , but I don't want the leather to get stiff. If the leather is already dyed, do I need to seal it still??
or do I do this just for raw veg tan leather that isnt finished with anything??