News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ticket Prices

Started by IndeanaSunday, November 16, 2008, 11:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scribe_Wear

yes but u have to remember that the $24.95 ticket prices also include tax  an in the past five years ticket prices only went up $4.96 which isnt bad considering all the new things we have an that we have an that weve been getting new performers.
Destroying rainforest for economic gain is like burning a Renaissance painting to cook a meal.

IndeanaSunday

Quote from: franco on July 15, 2009, 02:01:52 PM
While I can sympathize with those who struggle to come up with the admission prices, I must say that the Sterling Festival is giving patrons an experience that is beyond quantification in dollar terms, and gives patrons the biggest return in terms of entertainment value than anything else I can think of, including other Renaissance festivals.

This is very, very true. But only if you know that. For example, the first time my family went to faire, we were honestly pretty bored. We walked around, looked into some booths ("Wow, that's a beautiful sculpture! For $12,000?! Moving on!"), ate some food, watched the joust, walked some more, and left. We didn't know that the shows were A) free, B) any good, or C) interactive. We didn't know that there were artisanal demonstrations throughout the day. We didn't know that there was entertainment that developed organically in the lanes. We thought it was going to be similar to the State Fair, only set in the renaissance. Because of our misconceptions, we missed out on a lot and certainly didn't feel we got the most "bang for our buck".

My husband and I were talking about Faire the other day; about prices and the value of a ticket. It's interesting because if you don't know what's available and how best to enjoy it, it's easy to feel ripped-off when you spend $25 per ticket and are only on site for a few hours. However, if you're "educated" and know how much is available at Faire it's pretty much impossible to do it all in a day. Which is a fantastic indicator of just how much is available, but then you might feel ripped-off because you didn't get to do everything you wanted!

I might suggest some some kind of a "Suggested Itinerary for First-Time Visitors to Warwick". Perhaps there would even be a few versions highlighting either Music or Pirates or "Classic England" (jousts, Queen's Tea, Staged Shakespeare, etc...), depending on the patron's taste and the weekend's theme.

Khaalis

QuoteThis is very, very true. But only if you know that. For example, the first time my family went to faire, we were honestly pretty bored. We walked around, looked into some booths ("Wow, that's a beautiful sculpture! For $12,000?! Moving on!"), ate some food, watched the joust, walked some more, and left. We didn't know that the shows were A) free, B) any good, or C) interactive. We didn't know that there were artisanal demonstrations throughout the day. We didn't know that there was entertainment that developed organically in the lanes. We thought it was going to be similar to the State Fair, only set in the renaissance. Because of our misconceptions, we missed out on a lot and certainly didn't feel we got the most "bang for our buck".

My husband and I were talking about Faire the other day; about prices and the value of a ticket. It's interesting because if you don't know what's available and how best to enjoy it, it's easy to feel ripped-off when you spend $25 per ticket and are only on site for a few hours. However, if you're "educated" and know how much is available at Faire it's pretty much impossible to do it all in a day. Which is a fantastic indicator of just how much is available, but then you might feel ripped-off because you didn't get to do everything you wanted!

I might suggest some some kind of a "Suggested Itinerary for First-Time Visitors to Warwick". Perhaps there would even be a few versions highlighting either Music or Pirates or "Classic England" (jousts, Queen's Tea, Staged Shakespeare, etc...), depending on the patron's taste and the weekend's theme.

This has to be one of the best summations and suggestions I have seen for how to deal with those that aren't RenGeeks like us. I was trying to say this very thing about danes in my other posts but wasn't anywhere near this concise and clear. And the idea of suggested itineraries is WONDERFUL!  Have you ever wondered why Cruise ships have activities directors?  Its the same basic idea. Most people, if left to their own whiles, will miss MUCH of what is available to them and in the end feel like they got nothing for their money. Most people need a "push" to help them enjoy themselves and to get involved in the activities around them, especially if as you noted they know nothing about the faire upon arrival. I would honestly love it if the Mercs Guild of the FoF could work out a deal with the Faire to get the plaitrons more active and to aid in this in some way.
Rogue, Merc and certified RenRat

franco

IndeanaSunday  Absolutely true, great point! Ren Faires are an acquired taste, and most people don't know how to experience them. They are THAT different! Most people think it's all about the joust and a turkey leg, and while it makes for a good spectacle, it isn't what people are going to come back for again and again. Really though, some people are immune to the charms of a good faire no matter what.

However I truly believe Renaissance Festivals will continue to grow and become more popular because the mundane culture gets more invasive, alien and decrepit as time goes on. As our world is more filled with strip malls and asphalt, rude indifferent people and increasingly manipulative forms of entertainment, loud noises from engines and crass visual images, a Ren Fest, even though it is fantasy, is an escape to much more real world.

Aaroncois

I agree that the "Suggested Itinerary" is a grand idea. I wonder if the faire's marketing team is missing opportunities to promote the faire? Or maybe they're doing it and I'm just not aware of it. It seems like putting a small cadre of actors and musicians into someplace like Syracuse's Clinton Square or Hanover Square during lunchtime, performing and handing out flyers, would be a great way to stir up interest. Particularly if one or more of the local news agencies could be talked into showing up. Also, 9WSYR has a local talkshow called Bridge Street that I'd guess might be interested in doing a segment on the Faire. There's also Time-Warner Cable's News 10 Now, the Syracuse Newspapers (along with their website Syracuse.com), etc., etc. When you factor in Rochester and the smaller cities like Fulton, Oswego, Auburn (which already had an article in their paper which was posted here a few weeks back), that's a lot of opportunity for free or low-cost publicity.

But I don't see a lot of those shows and/or publications, so maybe they're chock full of Rennie goodness and I'm missing it. If so, here's a health to the marketing team!  ;D

Dorian Mallory

I do think there needs to be a bit more advertising to get the word out.  I remember as a kid going to Silver Stadium and they had people from the Faire out there in costume throwing out the first pitch.  It was quite humorous.  There also used to be a billboards around that I haven't seen in years.  I've seen/heard a couple of commercials here in Rochester, but nothing too much.  It was highlighted one weekend with the travel guy on Rochester 9 news.

It seems now that most of the advertising has to come by word of mouth.  I do my part, but a lot of people I know either thought it was closed- due to the EBay thing a few years ago- or figure that it never really changes so if they go once every 5 years or so they are missing nothing.  My wife and I do have a great time every year, but it definitely has been a few years since any of the performers have changed up their routines much.  I do realize that it is not an easy thing to do, but when you have people saying that they had not been there in over 10 years and the performers are still doing the same shtick, well, that could be another issue as to why people don't go as often. 

A lot of times, this faire ends up being my only day of vacation during the summer, the one day that I allow no intrusion from real life to effect me in any way, and I want to see it continue and flourish.  I've been coming here regularly since I was 15- I'm now 45.  I definitely remember when it was more of a biker thing than a family outing- especially with the wench auction and the prizes you could win like the kisses from your favorite serving person/actress or actor.

I don't mind paying the money because it is worth it to me and my wife.  I love not feeling obligated to tip the performers or the wenches, though I usually tip the wenches.  I want to bring my niece to this someday and I definitely want to bring our future child here someday too.  Everyone I have ever talked to that has been to more than 1 faire has always told me that Sterling is one of the oldest and best Ren Faires in the country and we should be proud to have it so close by.  I know I really appreciated Sterling a lot more after my wife and I visited a few other faires and were dismayed by things we never encountered at Sterling.  (Tipping the performers so they can get paid, food tickets, prices actually being a lot more than here at Sterling, the simple fact I don't need to spend money on an overnight stay, etc...)

I really like the idea of the suggested things to do if it is your first time visiting the faire.  Actually that is an amazing suggestion and I am surprised it hasn't been thought of before.  The first thing that needs to be done is to get fresh patrons coming.

Well, I rambled on and got off topic and tried to bring back on topic.  Sorry about that.

Xantrawler

Aaronocois do you have my house bugged?  LOL I was saying the same thing to my wife this morning, about sending out the actors to other events to spark interest. Perhaps in May and June have a traveling group or three visit other events. Of course Sterling could return the favor, in one form or another. It's true a lot of people don't know what goes on. We have been wanting to go to Sterling for years and had some idea what it was about. Our first time showed us there is more than just the show. Now, if we were able to discover that, and we were already interested, what does the common person think? One thing we can do, as fans, promote Faire on: My space, You tube etc. Not just Sterling but other ones. I know many have accounts with these sites and if the rest of us add our voices how many people will we reach? Just a couple of ideas from someone new who is looking at this with fresh eyes.

SterlingFan

Quote from: Xantrawler on July 16, 2009, 03:58:34 PM
One thing we can do, as fans, promote Faire on: My space, You tube etc. Not just Sterling but other ones. I know many have accounts with these sites and if the rest of us add our voices how many people will we reach? Just a couple of ideas from someone new who is looking at this with fresh eyes.

I have a Sterling Renaissance Festival Fan/Friend page on MySpace and Sterling has an official page too !  Sterling's page:  www.myspace.com/sterlingfestival    My page: www.myspace.com/sterlingrenfestfriends

Also, on the subject of prices:  I believe you get what you pay for and if Sterling lowered their prices then they most likely would cut what they offer.  Remember, the gate fee includes everything but food/drink, games/rides and artisan/vendor goods just like many other Festivals, Fairs(County & State Fairs included) and Amusement Parks(rides included but everything else extra).  I would not want fewer actors, shows cut out, buildings falling into disrepair, grounds shoddy, improvements halted, etc...

I'm not made of money but I still manage to go to my fave place on the planet !  It's all a matter of priorities.  Sterling is my main thing to do in the summer.  It's not Sterling's fault if someone decides they can't afford to go there IMHO.  I'm not trying to be a jerk - it's just how I feel about the subject.  I also believe that thoughts go where energy flows.  If you come from a state of lack you get lack and vice-versa.  The Universe has more than enough to go around for everyone - you just have to believe that !  That may sound like a bunch of phooey to some but it's working for me so I don't knock it lol ;D
Home Faire: Sterling Renaissance Festival

"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here !"

ALS

I guess you need to decide what you want, a guy to come in, pour his money into a show that would not have opened other wise ( I know this for a fact, from the mouth of the former craft director ) and had been run into the ground and allowed to deteriorate and try not to go broke doing it, or a guy to come in pour his money into a show that would not have opened otherwise  and had been run into the ground and allowed to deteriorate and go broke doing it and close it in 5 years. The public will decide.

QuoteThe Sterling faire is similar to an arts festival,
If you take out the rides, the dozens of stage plays, the jousting and the improptue street theater, then I suppose your correct, its just an art festival, or at least I don't remember seeing any of that kind of stuff at Clothesline or Art at the Gardens at Sonnenberg last year. I'm sorry if that sounds a bit short but, I think theres a bit more going on at Sterling for your admitions than pottery and jewelery and a glass of wine which is what you'll get for the price of admitions at the above art festivals.

irish

Alasssssssssssss............ :-X
Ticket prices and food sales, are very much where they need to be for Sterling, especially with this economy.  A night out at McDonald's and to the movies, for a family of four, costs around the same. There you get just a movie, whereas at Sterling, a family enjoys a memorable day out together, with a lot of fun filled family shows! :D
SirDouglas, has to face the economy, where everything is higher.....supplies, food goods and meeting paychecks for the actors. He has to make a profit someplace, in order to keep the faire afloat!
The faire was in a downhill spiral, spinning out of control and existence! Along came a Knight, who pulled it out of the brink of despair. He worked hard, poured his heart,Soul & money into it, to make it a place people want to go! He is still working his butt off!
A lot of former actors and shows, are coming back, due to his hard work! Master Shakesphere wants to come back full time, due to SirDouglas' hard work. Looney Lucy is coming back....shows there now, are happy with the results!
Should he lower prices for admission and food sales?? Nope! I will gladly pay, as I love the faire and I thank SirDouglas for keeping Sterling a place, where we all can go, to loose the outside world's turmoils, if even for a few hours! Oh and by the way.....PaFaire is $29.95 for admission.  ::)

irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Aaroncois

Quote from: rivver on July 23, 2009, 05:20:08 AM
I don't understand the defensive responses to my post.

I understand them completely. You made some statements that were either false or questionable (regarding being the highest ticket price in the country and the weather being sunny) and proposed a solution that people, based on their experience at other faires, had found to be counterproductive (half-price day). You also made the statement:

Quote from: rivver on July 15, 2009, 09:45:33 AM
The attendance is down more than 50%.

which may be entirely accurate, but without a source it's hard to be sure if you were just guessing or basing that on fact.

Add it all up, and I think you might see where you were pushing some hot buttons there. It wouldn't be surprising if people got defensive, if indeed they did. I think they/we were just debating your points.

irish

EDIT ~ even though Pa may be higher, we plan on a visit, this year.  8)
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Xantrawler

I'm the one who put up the post about other forms of entertainment. I shall try another route. We can compare Sterling to similar events. We can look at theater. For price I will use our local community group's rate. Sterling goes for nine hours, each day. The community theater needs to do four shows at $8 a show or $32.
Staying with Renaissance Festivals: I have looked at other Festivals and the ones of Sterling's caliber charge roughly the same price. Sterling may need to come down on the season pass as I have noticed others have lower price. Festivals that are below $10 do look enjoyable, but are not near the quality as Sterling.
I don't know if you were implying the price should be near that of a arts fair or not. I believe a previous poster wrote lowering the price will bring a different type of crowd. This crowd may have no interest in many of the crafts offered. I noticed you sell hand sculpted faeries and such. While I believe the price is fair that does not mean others will. Should you lower your price so they will buy your product? This is not slamming you or your product, I wish to point out you have the same situation as Sir Douglas and Company. You have a product and must balance price with being able to make a living.
As for people being defensive I believe it's more a matter of debate. You brought up a point and people responded, some sided with you, others were against you.
The crowd issue we shall save for another thread, I'm sure we all have opinions and ideas on what can be done for that. I have strained everyone's eyes enough, thanks for reading.

Master James

Well now that I have visted Sterling I feel I can weigh in a bit here.  I THOUROUGHLY enjoyed our visit but I did find the prices a bit higher than some other faires I've attended.  The cost for m'lady and I for 2 days was more expensive that what I pay for a single season pass at MDRF.  That means that 2 weekends for both of us, with the discount 2 day passes, would be more than we spend for the entire season at MDRF for the pair of us.  Having said that, the prices are on par with what PARF charges.  Most other faires though on the east coast and even some in the midwest are less expensive both at the gate and for conssessions.  That doesn't mean that I wouldn't attend Sterling again, just saying that given all the faires I've attended, Sterling is one of the most expensive to go to.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Tazworth

Hmmm ... just saw this on TV ... well my son did ..... during the Sterling commercial. (which I am very briefly in  ;D ) Half price ($12) tickets for the Faire....unfortunately it says sold out on the adult tickets. Maybe they will restock? Worth checking out. THere are still childrens tickets available at the discount ($7). Maybe some of you can take advantage of it.. http://discountdeals.13wham.com/showcategory.aspx?categoryid=1&show=all
Brett aka Tazworth
Founder of Family of Faire