News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sherwood Forest Faire

Started by rengypsy, May 13, 2008, 08:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rengypsy

Remember Sherwood Forest Faire...coming soon. Should have a website within the next month.  Opening in 2010...35 miles east of Austin on U.S. Highway 290.  87 acres, wooded--Beautiful Oaks and Pines.  25 Acre faire grounds, Camping.  Theme: King Richard the Lion Hearted is off fighting Saladin in the Holy Lands.  Robin Hood and his Merry Band of scoundrals rule Sherwood Forest...and the Sheriff of Nottingham is always two steps behind.  Occasional appearances of Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine.  There will be a pub, famous to this day for the meeting place in England where folk met to head to fight the Crusades named "Ye Ol' Trip to Jerusalem".  There will be an enchanted area from whence creatures of fantasy shall flow.  And, to peer into the future a bit...Shakespeare and Marlow will fill a stage with their works of wit and sorrow.  Pirates, Gypsies, Ogres and Fairies, Troubadors and Fortune Tellers, Jugglers, and raving lunatics will fill the streets.

Looking for ideas, questions, thoughts and dreams...

Please feel free to add your bit a vision to the creation of this fantasy come true.
it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

DonaCatalina

Woo Hoo!
You're back.
Anything besides the pub going to be named after a famous location?
Maybe like Santiago de Compostella on the Pilgrim's Path in Spain?
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Ann of Draycott

Welcome back rengypsy! Glad to see you found our new home!

I am really looking forward to your new faire!
Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

Emerald Shaunassey

Welcome back Rengypsy!  Glad to see you where able to make the switch over.  Looking forward to perusing the faire's website and learning more information about it.

Fair Winds
Emerald
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

rengypsy

would love to have that post with the hobbit pics back up

also would like ideas and drawings for the BEST renaissance grounds layout.

i am thinking there will be a town square within the grounds.  any thoughts?

DonaCatalina

I think someone proposed 3 rings once upon a time, with all the food and pubs concentrated around the spot where the rings intersected. The stages would anchor the center and far ends.
I thought that was a pretty good idea.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

PyroMaster

Don't forget the adults-only area. That will need a way to verify age before entering. Probably off to the side a bit.
Do not burden yourself with the secrets of scary people.

queeneleanore

Quote from: DonaCatalina on May 14, 2008, 04:04:45 PM
I think someone proposed 3 rings once upon a time, with all the food and pubs concentrated around the spot where the rings intersected. The stages would anchor the center and far ends.
I thought that was a pretty good idea.

Ooo, I love the idea of the 3 rings! Nice suggestion, dear lady. :-)

~Eleanore
Queen of Portugal, 1518–1521
Queen of France, 1530-1547

rengypsy

closing date postponed til july 31st.
but, yeah!!!!, it's happening.

will plan an outting soon after the closing to dialogue, drum and burn a bit of sage to bless the grounds in a good ol renaissance way.

since i have lost emails and contacts from the previous forum, i will need to hear from you if you'd like an invite.  this will not a working weekend, but rather a fun time to eat, drink and be merry as we vision the grounds layout.

no running water, tho there is an outhouse at the place.  so, it will be a bit rugged for our campout.

yall will fall in love with the beauty of the property.

cheers,
rengypsy

rengypsy

brief update.

survey complete on the land.

the closing nears...

rengypsy

sherwood forest faire is seeking art/graphic design work.

here is the essence of the faire theme:

sherwood forest faire

setting is about 1200 ad, nottinghamshire
richard the lionhearted is king.  he is off fighting in the holylands (the crusades).  robin hood and his merry men are trapsing about sherwood forest.  the sheriff is fairly inept at catching him.
its a faire happening.
there are some transcendant links between reality and fantasy.  fairies and trolls, dragons and hobbits enhabit certain parts of the woods.
its a family occasion w/games and gallentry--jousts and men at arms.
gypsies tell fortunes and sell trinkets on the outskirts of the woods.
artisans have erected their tents and are selling their wares.
actors, musicians and troubadors have come from the four corners to entertain on make shift stages and wooden crates.
drummers mezmerize bystanders as they play the most ancient of rhythms around a fire circle.

country and city folk alike have come from miles around...some for the day, some camping for the entirety of the festival.

anachronistic appearances by shakespeare and his troupe also shall have their moment on stage.

plenty of food and drink.

a pirate's ship has found its way upstream...and a band of them are causing havoc about their vessel.

i need freelance graphic design/art work for the following:

1) logo
2) putting my grounds into graphic layout for presentation, promotions, and conceptual construction plans
3) posters, t-shirt, souvenir artistry that fits the above mentioned themes

if interested, email me links to your portfolio, your pricing/fees, etc.  i would expect to purchase the work free of copywrite so the faire can own the work and reproduce it.

cheers,
rengypsy
sherwood forest faire
paige, texas

coming to central texas in the spring of 2010.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: rengypsy on May 22, 2008, 08:36:32 AM
brief update.

survey complete on the land.

the closing nears...

Any recent photos of the property?
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

PyroMaster

Marco Polo is generally credited with having brought gunpowder back to Europe from China in the 13th century. The period for this faire is a bit early for what we might commonly term fireworks, but I bet we can put something together for Sherwood that doesn't break the clock too badly.   :D
Do not burden yourself with the secrets of scary people.

rengypsy

i would expect as much...and you would surely be my man.

Ottheinrich

Quote from: rengypsy on May 27, 2008, 11:02:13 PM
sherwood forest faire is seeking art/graphic design work.

i need freelance graphic design/art work for the following:

1) logo
2) putting my grounds into graphic layout for presentation, promotions, and conceptual construction plans
3) posters, t-shirt, souvenir artistry that fits the above mentioned themes

if interested, email me links to your portfolio, your pricing/fees, etc.  i would expect to purchase the work free of copywrite so the faire can own the work and reproduce it.

cheers,
rengypsy
sherwood forest faire
paige, texas

coming to central texas in the spring of 2010.

I sent you a personal message