News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Sherwood Forest Faire

Started by rengypsy, May 13, 2008, 08:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rengypsy

went by the land today on the way to austin.  i promise you all that you will fall in love with the grounds, even in its raw form.  once the clearing begins, fences, etc start going up, you will feel the magic that i sense in the place.

i have contracted with an austin graphic designer to come up with the logo for sherwood forest faire.

am talking to several others who may work with me on the grounds mapping to take my initial concepts and put them into form.

likewise, i am seeking a web designer for the preliminary website.  pretty much one just to wet folks appetite for what's coming, allowing folk to sign up for email updates, post pictures as land develop gets underway, etc.

i have found two astounding artists who i will commission for the first year's art work--posters, bulletins, billboards, flyers, etc.

all suggestions still sought on all aspects of faire development.

still am seeking the pics of the hobbit habitats a guy posted on the old website.

a bit more of thoughts...some old, some new...

--sylvan woods where the fantasy creatures abide
--pirate's cove (PG-13 and R)
--kinda want some tree-houses, though it may not come the first year
--gypsy camp
--kids' area
--pub and stage in camping area
--celtic/druidic/pagan circle
--church
--merchant tent area

it's all about the journey and the people we choose to make the journey with

Tanyor

Sorry it took so long to repost this Rengypsy,

The building material used in the pictures is Cob, which consists of dirt,clay,sand and straw. Very cheap to build but but very labor intensive. I know of Cob websites who will donate labor for a chance to hold cob building camps.

Also my mother got into this fairy house building kick for my niece She just became a grandmother and this kid is getting spoiled. She was going to use concrete. But for mother's day I tried using cob to build one.
This was my first attempt to try this building technique. It's still standing through all the storms.But it has cracked because I didn't have much natural clay available and also didn't white wash the exterior walls with a lime/water mixture.

Also learned of a new building method of using reformed hay bales as the main wall structure for houses. and using a lime base stucco to cover the outside walls.
Also Rammed earth is a new technique for building structures. Its a mixture of 10% concrete and earth thats compressed using a pneumatically powered backfill tamper to compress into walls.

Also craigslist is a great place to get free building materials from finished homes. I see adds for free brick and limestone for free if you haul it off.

A quick google search will bring up results.

Also really excited that there will be a faire close to home. My Satyr persona will now have a home.
And just think you might be able to have the first "Green faire" in the United States.
But I don't know much about public use of these methods other than rammed earth being used for commercial buildings and churches.

This one is from england is a over serval hundred years old and is still used.

This is a picture of strawbale house being built.

dbaldock

Quote from: rengypsy on June 01, 2008, 07:20:00 PM
a bit more of thoughts...some old, some new...

--sylvan woods where the fantasy creatures abide
--kinda want some tree-houses, though it may not come the first year

A couple of questions about the Tree-Houses --- 1) Do you intend to own and carry the liability insurance on them yourself, or do you want vendors to do so?  2) How handicap accessible is the faire going to be (i.e.- will they need to be built with ramps)?

One thing that comes to mind about having multi-story structures that faire patrons can go up into is that they'll need to be carefully placed so that service areas aren't visible from the upper stories, to preserve the illusion of faire.

--gypsy camp
--kids' area

You'll want to consider sheltered seating for the parents - maybe a pavilion adjacent to a food service area.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

rengypsy

i actually was thinking about treehouse idea for acting company activities.  ie. fairies, robin hood, etc.  not for patrons...

the faire will be faire-ly handicapped accessible...as expected by law.  as much as colorado renaissance festival--hahaha--have any of you been there?  steep inclines on a mountain side. 

no, no...more so.

i expect to maintain a lot of natural shade.  when clearing, the number one rule will be to painfully attempt to keep all trees feasible.  there will still be suffient open areas.  but it will be a wooded faire grounds.

Lord Dragonspyre

Quote from: rengypsy on May 27, 2008, 11:02:13 PM
sherwood forest faire is seeking art/graphic design work.

here is the essence of the faire theme:

sherwood forest faire

setting is about 1200 ad, nottinghamshire
richard the lionhearted is king.  he is off fighting in the holylands (the crusades).  robin hood and his merry men are trapsing about sherwood forest.  the sheriff is fairly inept at catching him.
its a faire happening.
there are some transcendant links between reality and fantasy.  fairies and trolls, dragons and hobbits enhabit certain parts of the woods.
its a family occasion w/games and gallentry--jousts and men at arms.
gypsies tell fortunes and sell trinkets on the outskirts of the woods.
artisans have erected their tents and are selling their wares.
actors, musicians and troubadors have come from the four corners to entertain on make shift stages and wooden crates.
drummers mezmerize bystanders as they play the most ancient of rhythms around a fire circle.

country and city folk alike have come from miles around...some for the day, some camping for the entirety of the festival.

anachronistic appearances by shakespeare and his troupe also shall have their moment on stage.

plenty of food and drink.

a pirate's ship has found its way upstream...and a band of them are causing havoc about their vessel.

i need freelance graphic design/art work for the following:

1) logo
2) putting my grounds into graphic layout for presentation, promotions, and conceptual construction plans
3) posters, t-shirt, souvenir artistry that fits the above mentioned themes

if interested, email me links to your portfolio, your pricing/fees, etc.  i would expect to purchase the work free of copywrite so the faire can own the work and reproduce it.

cheers,
rengypsy
sherwood forest faire
paige, texas

coming to central texas in the spring of 2010.

I will be willing to do whatever you need for free, or a season pass for the first year. Why? Because I feel like you've got something good here and that you have a well thought out plan. While money may be no object, I enjoy this kind of work and do not see it as something to get paid for.

As for myself, I am an engineering designer for a petrochemical company based out of Kansas City, and am currently located in a branch office in Houston. I am fully experienced with AutoCAD 2000 and up and can generate drawings as you need, be it conceptual, architectural, or electrical. I also dabble in my spare time with Graphic Arts and can come up with some logo designs, should you desire.

Unfortunately, my design capabilities fall short when it comes to souvenir designs.
Corrupting Impressionable Youths Since 1976.

IBRSC#1475, RMG#820, IFRP#1276
Horseman of Debauchery

rengypsy

wow. you are the best!!!

will be sending you info.

cheers,

rengypsy

Autouloucous

Hey Folks----

Looks like the Sherwood Forest Faire is truly eminent. As Rengypsy avows, the grounds are an amzing place, with plenty trees to block out the illusion of the 21st century.  I'm looking forward to meeting you who have shown such interest in this project. I think fireworks and shakespeare and most any anachronism that shuts out "modern technology" is proper and workable. If you are going to build a time machine, why not cruise around a little.  Maybe we won't invite Napoleon and his conteporaries, but i think Mideval through the Renaissance is Faire-Game.

rengypsy

logo is forthcoming
website is under development
first poster/billboard design being created presently
much is happening

stay tuned

rengypsy

new updates next week on the land/grounds.  exciting developments...

offer ideas, potential talent, stage acts, games, etc.

will get the website up within the month.

lets get sharing ideas in making this a fantastic community.

i wanna hear from you.

rengypsy

rengypsy

ok, i now have a second contract on 18 adjacent acres for the parking lot.  its on the back side of the property...facing old highway 20.  wont have to cut down a single oal oak tree for parking now.

this is a great development.  all closings are happening july 31st.  before trf begins, we will host a gathering on the land.  cant wait.

rengypsy

rengypsy

sherwood forest faire is scheduled to open march 2010 for 4-6 weekends.

stay tuned...and continue w/ideas, questions, and good thoughts.

in later phases, we will call on tanyor to advise us on construction of hobbit village in the woods set aside for camping.

please note, this is much more than a financial venture for me.  it is about sustainable community, as well. 

rengypsy

Emerald Shaunassey

Quote from: rengypsy on May 27, 2008, 11:02:13 PM

a pirate's ship has found its way upstream...and a band of them are causing havoc about their vessel.

RenGypsy,
     If you hadn't already had my attention (and my hopes!) you most assuredly would have with both of these posts.  Liking your faire even better the more I hear/read about it.  Would still love to talk logistics of applying my stage show to your faire.  Drop me a PM or e-mail me at: okierennie1 at aol dot com so we can begin discussing the feasibility and possibilities!

Looking forward to hearing back from you ...
Faire Winds,
Emerald
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

rengypsy

after we close on the land in late july and have our webpage and billboard up on highway 290, we will be talking to several of you. 

Autouloucous will be heading up talent search for the faire.  he is a great soul and a dear brother to me.  i know of no one who does not love him.  hopefully, amy of you will feel the same as you become part of his troupe at sherwood forest faire.

at this time, we plan to have one stage actually in the trees for robin hood and his band of outlaws. 

ye olde trip to jerusalem pub will be similar to the rustic style in lord of the rings.

prepare for something i think will be quite unique and thoroughly enjoyable

promise it will not be a start up like excalibur or several of those faire who have come and gone.

sound business plan intertwined with a lifetime of being a businessman, a rennie, a ad&d nut from olde, a reader of tolkien, hobbe, feist, stephen donaldson, and the like.

my favorite period movies, beside lord of the rings, are excalibur, the lion in winter, and ladyhawk...to mention a few off the top of my head.

i think life and work and pleasure and community and passion for fantasy and just the spirituality of nature/drumming/ale and great friends can and should coincide.

we are passing thru this world of consciousness in a flash.  it should, as best we can direct it, be a flash of our creation and design.

help make this faire one of the best...for each of you, i hope, will take your own "brush" and paint your strokes of what it can and should be.

blessings to you all.

rengypsy

Tanyor

Your talking about "THE PRANCING PONY"  types for the Inn/slash pub?

I was wondering how your tackling general construction of the faire as in hiring general contractors and such.
Because I might be changing company's and I will have 2 weeks off at a time.

If you can rent a front end loader tractor we can make that hobbit village with natural materials at almost quarter the cost.
Are you planning on making the hobbit village for camping?

rengypsy

wow. would love to talk with you about this in the future.  of course, we can get you a front end loader for creating such living art.  thanks for visioning...