News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hook & Eye trauma--please help.

Started by gem, May 13, 2008, 10:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I'm making a pirate-era jacket that closes at the front with hooks & eyes.  No matter what I do, I can't make it close so that the front panels abut.  There's a gap.  I've already done everything recommended by the pattern--edge stitching next to the boning, using smaller hooks/eyes, taking it in at center front, and moving the hooks and eyes farther back from the front opening.

I have some hook & eye tape, but I couldn't figure out how to put it on (even Milord, who is normally very good with spatial relations, was stumped by it).  There doesn't seem to be a way to attach it where the white tape it's on doesn't show.

What am I doing wrong?

How do I fix it?

And if I can't fix it properly, what can I do that's within the appearance of being H/A and can be accomplished for an appearance on Saturday?  I'm speaking to a group about costuming, and this needs to be right.

Help!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

gem

Does the pattern for the coat call for an Interfacing panel and facing that is tacked down to prevent puckering?

It is often recommended that hooks and eyes alternate in direction for better closing. That I did with my M,QoS gown  so that the front closes and lays nicely, and stays closed.

Are you using large hook and eyes? The smaller ones can ne troublesome at times.

Hopes this helps.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Kate XXXXXX

Try alternating the pairs...  Hook/eye, hook/eye down one side with matching eye/hook down the other.  Makes it a pain to do up and undo, but it tends to stay closed!

If you couple this with hooks and eyes no more than an inch apart and back far enough not to show, and make sure you sew down the TOP of the hook as well as the loops, you should do OK.  Here's a neat page showing what I mean: http://www.cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_c/C-232.pdf

FaireMare

What they said!

I also added a small "privacy" pannel to the Prince's New doublete just in case there was some slight puckering. 

We did put Metal Frogs on the front to create a "look" but it was the LARGER Hook and Eyes that held it closed.

gem

THANK YOU ALL!!

That was *exactly perfect.* 

You know, I *knew* the trick with alternating them--it's in TUDOR TAILOR, and one on of Milord's pieces in his collection--but for whatever reason it totally slipped my mind.  Don't think I'll be forgetting that one again! Ha!

FWIW, I did actually think of a period alternative (which I don't need now, of course): pins!

(Hopefully Milord will get some pictures tomorrow!)