News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gulf Coast Faire @ Pensacola

Started by BLAKDUKE, January 11, 2009, 07:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLAKDUKE

After responding to the Mobile version I went looking for the Pensacola one and found that there was none so I will start it.

The link is the same as for Mobile.  This one is held at the Pensacola Faire Grounds on the first full weekend in March. 
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

LadyDracolich

And I will be there!  I'll be looking forward to seeing everyone!
I don't know what you've heard, none of it is factual, but it's all true.

temper

Only eight weeks out!

We will be joined by Drunk and Sailor
(Plus the Ocean Swells) again and an escapee from a number of Midwest faires!
Phoenix Swords will be doing Historical Swords (plus bec de corbin and sickle) two comedy sword shows and the fire show that lights up final gate!
Temper; what makes a good sword, be sure to keep it.

LadyDracolich

I think we should all meet for lunch or something...  This is the only faire I've been to without a regular R/F meet up place/time...

BLAKDUKE

And we probably will not set one, unless enough R/F.commers indicate that they are coming for sure.  I remember a trek to the North Carolina faire some years back and there were several R/F'ers who posted that they were coming and we all agreed to meet at the back of the faire at a set time.  I and my lady were there, Sir Dragon and his lady was there and that was it.  We waited around about 1/2 hour and no one showed so we went about our merry way.  For the rest of that day we encountered no one.  However after the weekend everyone posted "where was everyone"  seems something got lost in the translation.   so let's see who posts and then we will go from there.  I know I'll be there, it's sort of required you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Elwyn

I will also endeavor to make the trip into town as well. Hopefully I will be able to attend both days this time.

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: James Elwyn on January 16, 2009, 11:36:39 PM
I will also endeavor to make the trip into town as well. Hopefully I will be able to attend both days this time.

James

I have sent you a PM

temper

Sneak Preview of one of the acts this year Drunk and Sailor (6 min)
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/video/video.php?v=50280878231

and a little sample of the Phoenix Swords Historical show (for a grade school faire-2 min)
http://www.phoenixswords.com/video/fiore_dagger_demo.mov

LadyDracolich

I can't wait!!! We're just days away!!! WOOHOO!!!  :D  -doing happy dance-

BLAKDUKE

aye it is getting close.

The Queen goes thursday moring to have the staples removed from her shouler and the doctor will tell her ho much she can do and can't do.  Hopefully she will be able to do something.

LadyDracolich

I hope she's feeling better by Saturday!  If I can be of help, let me know.

temper

I don't know if this is going to continue to qualify as a "Smaller Southern Faire" with the attendance numbers I heard-5000 on Saturday and 4000 on Sunday. The day reports varied but 9000 seemed consistent.

We had one of the best times ever and the weather was gorgeous. It makes me happy when the performer coordinator says
"Hope you don't mind being back here since we have so many more vendors this year"

When it had the venue change the audience changed drastically but it looks this faire has some pretty staunch followers!  Did everyone else have a good time?

temper

BLAKDUKE

Quote from: temper on March 11, 2009, 01:46:20 PM

When it had the venue change the audience changed drastically but it looks this faire has some pretty staunch followers!  Did everyone else have a good time?

You dare to ask such a question since I had commanded everyone to have a good time??????   ??? ???  They would in no way dis-obey their King....  ;D ;D ;D  Of course everyone had a good time, how could it be otherwise?????       As you have stated good weather, lots of food, lots of vendors and the most excellent jousting I have ever seen,  3 unhorsings for the weekend    HUZZAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I have to agree on the smaller southern faire title.  However I think we will have to live with that title until we can go to multiple weekends

King ALLYN The Only

AKA: BLAKDUKE

Diablo

Hello,

This is Todd "Diablo" Kirby of the Gypsy Band, Labyrinthe. I hope this E-mail finds everyone well. We miss you guys terribly. Whenever we get this group of ours rebuilt (For the 18th time. lol.) we will once again darken your courts with our song and dance. It's a good thing that our lovely Luri has won favor with the King. It's hard to play and dance when ones head is rolling in the gutter. :) We so hope to see you all very soon.

Now.... This message is concerning a friend here in Nashville, TN. His name is David Plieth, Anyone at Tennessee, Michigan, Gulf Coast or Mobile Faires has probably seen him taking pictures.

Dave works in research at Vanderbilt in Nashville. (He's one of the many people over there working on a cure for Cancer.) Well, Dave presently needs alot of prayer and good thoughts sent his way.

Three weeks ago today (Ironically on April 1st.) Dave went into the hospital for full body numbness, slurred speech and blurred vision. I went by his house in the morning before work and heard him calling my name. I went in and found him in his bedroom where he indicated he needed me to dial 911. He couldn't even dial the phone. The paramedics came in, carted him out and took him to the Vanderbilt ER. By that afternoon he was on a breathing tube and in the Neurology Intensive Care Unit where's he's been ever since.

He is being diagnosed as having a very rare disorder called "Bickerstaff Syndrome", also known as "Bickerstaff's brainstem encephalitis". It is very very similar to Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Bickerstaff Syndrome is an immune disorder. He apparently had pneumonia and instead of attacking the problem, his body attacked his brain stem.

Luckily there is NO brain damage and Dave is expected to make a 90 / 100 % recovery but it's going to take time. There's talk of him being in the hospital for 6 months before he can even go home and that this may take him a year to deal with. There will be alot of physical therapy and possibly speech therapy. Still, the scenario is a positive one. On that morning I thought he'd had a Stroke.... Thank goodness it wasn't that.

Here's some info on Bickerstaff Syndrome:
http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/40001209/

Here's some info on Guillain-Barre Syndrome:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillain-Barr%C3%A9_syndrome

His Brother and Sister-in-law came down from Detroit and have been here taking care of him and his finances, etc. His father was here as well but tragically had a massive stroke and died in the ICU while visiting Dave.... This is hard to believe I know but this happened Wed. April 15th. Everyone except Dave got to attend his Fathers funeral.

Then, in the early AM hours of 4-23, Dave had to have emergency surgery as the food tube they had running into his stomach came undone and dripped "food" into his abdomen. This was apparently going on for a day, maybe two so they had to go in and clean all that out and replace the food tube. Now, they've got him doped and tubed up again.

He had been looking forward to the Tennessee Renaissance Festival in May. Obviously, he won't be able to make it this year and I know that's driving him absolutely crazy. (He goes out there every day of Faire from start to finish.) Hopefully next year he will be able to attend. I was thinking that, this year it'd be nice to bring elements of the Faire to him.... I'm gonna be at TN Ren on the first day and try to get a bunch of performers, etc. to take pictures and sign a piece of posterboard or something. I think that would make his month. Please do keep Dave in your thoughts and prayers. If you know him, E-mail me at X_Todd_Kirby_X@Yahoo.com and we can talk more.

If you want to send cards, please send to: Dave Plieth, 3120 Kinross Ave. Nashville, TN. 37211 (His brother and myself will make sure he gets them.)

Todd "Diablo" Kirby.