News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What do they serve for food aboard your ship?

Started by Obadiah Jib, January 19, 2009, 08:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obadiah Jib

What is on the menu for the Captain and crew on the ship you call home?
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Welsh Wench

Lobster with drawn butter and some very special brownies.
We stole the ingredients from a ship called the Haight-Ashbury.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Captain Jack Wolfe

The strange thing was, the more brownies we ate, the hungrier we got!  ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Blackbead

Salmagundy, of course!  We also eat lots of grilled meats cooked over the barbacoa, sweet potatoes, and tropical fruit (papayas, bananas, coconut, etc.)  Fish, sometimes, wild fowl or pig, fried plantains, and anything we can steal off of the big Spanish ships coming in from the Old World (especially good for getting black pepper and other spices!)
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

Obadiah Jib

Blackbead

We've never tried turtle.  Or parrot.  Or penguin.

But I hope to take the crew on a cruise down to Puerto Vallarta this summer and I hear they make a fine turtle soup there! 
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."

Welsh Wench

Mmm!
Turtles!

With caramel and pecans and milk chocolate.....
Huh?
It is?

EWWWW!!!!
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Captain Jack Wolfe

There, there, love.  Have some shrimp etouffee.  We'll skip the turtle cheesecake this time around, though.  ;) :D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

lilaney

Wait, wait, wait! It that what ya'll have been eating?!
No fair! I have been over here eating what I have cooked, I am half-starved!

As for what would have 'really' been eaten on a boat, way back when, whatever would store for long periods of time.
Hard tack, beans, pig's fat (for flavoring)
And lordy knows what else..

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

SHips biscuits and more biscuits - Old Weevil's Wedding Cake, we be sick of it.  The rare dolphin, oddly jointed by the ships butcher. Salt beef ( I hope) and  Figgy Dowdy with the fruit what not gone to rot yet.   What 'er we can catch or' the side.   And what victuals ever we plunder ! 

Hey no kiddin on the ships biscuit - they are tough to take!  My fairelady made some from a Royal Navy recipe.  :P :P :P  I think I'da rather eaten the leather lanyard covers.
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

lilaney

*chuckle* ya have to soak them in salt water to get chewy enough to actually consume.
I agree, hard tack is not the way to live.. a way to catch scurvy.. but, not to live.

Captain Jack Wolfe

Quote from: lilaney on January 21, 2009, 10:18:22 AM
Wait, wait, wait! It that what ya'll have been eating?!
No fair! I have been over here eating what I have cooked, I am half-starved!

It's not our fault Martin has been holding out on you!  :D ;D

Blackbead

Quote from: Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter on January 22, 2009, 08:49:12 AM
SHips biscuits and more biscuits - Old Weevil's Wedding Cake, we be sick of it.  The rare dolphin, oddly jointed by the ships butcher. Salt beef ( I hope) and  Figgy Dowdy with the fruit what not gone to rot yet.   What 'er we can catch or' the side.   And what victuals ever we plunder ! 

Hey no kiddin on the ships biscuit - they are tough to take!  My fairelady made some from a Royal Navy recipe.  :P :P :P  I think I'da rather eaten the leather lanyard covers.

I was an American Civil War reenactor for 22 years - I ate a LOT of homemade "soldier bread."  The recipe I had was one cup of flour to two cups of warm water with salt, if you have it.  I have a cutter to shape them and put the little holes throughout.  Then you bake them at 425 degrees for 20 minutes and then at 200 degrees for awhile (the idea is to get EVERY drop of moiture out of the things!)  Then you let 'em sit in the freezer for a few days, covered in aluminum foil.  Thaaw 'em out and your ready to go to war.  We even used to slip in some rice krispies or cocoa krispies every now and then for weevils.  What fun . . .

lilaney

Oh! Blackbeard that is brilliant!! May I borrow that recipe?
I have a feeling that I will be setting the Cad's table with 'Hard tack' this season!!
(This is a small vindication for me and I thank you for your assistance, therein)

renren

Chocolate, served by handsome cabana boys!
Then, I wake up! ;D
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Lady Amy of York

You mean you are suppose  to feed your crew ?  Now  they tell me ! ;D
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Obadiah Jib