News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Thoughts on the SCA

Started by bagpiper, February 14, 2009, 11:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bagpiper

Hello all,
There is an SCA group that meets very close to where I live, and that got me curious..... as Rennies, do any of you have any thoughts/opinions on the SCA to share?
Thanks!
There Can Be Only One

renfairephotog

Like any nation wide group, each location will be different. Overall the group is more for education than entertainment.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Pickles

I know a few SCA members and have done sewing for them.  Their grab guide lines are strict on what they wear to fight in.  The few that I know visit TnRn and enjoy seeing what we do.

Margrett

I'm both a Rennie & a SCAdian. My Bristol Ren Faire Elizabethan persona is also my late period SCA persona. Yes, there is a lot of education in the SCA. But it can be very social as well. I meet with SCA friends every single week for sessions of sewing, calligraphy/illumination or needlework. And I have a lot of fun at SCA events just hanging out with friends as well as taking classes. And there are a lot of bards & dancers & musicians around, so there is plenty of entertainment. One of my good friends is a period magician who performs at most Chicago-area SCA events. It's all what you make of it. And the sewing ranges from simple t-tunics to elaborate Tudor & Elizabethan gowns, so your garb doesn't need to be perfect.

If you would like more information about my experience with the SCA, feel free to contact me.

Kerri-Ellen Kelly a/k/a Lady Margrett Norwoode, AoA (SCA) & Margrett Norwoode of the Guilde of St Lawrence at Bristol Renaissnace Faire