News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Carlisles Clothing

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, March 09, 2009, 09:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

SO Toki is looking intently at Carisles Doublets as garb. They are beutiful looking in their photos. So we are wondering if anyone has had any dealings with them and what they think of their clothing. You can renmail either I or Toki if you don't want to post on this page. Please be candid and honest if you know anything about them. Their link is

http://carlislesonline.com/

Thanks
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Kate XXXXXX

Don't know anything about them, but they look nicely made, have a decent historical base, and are realistically priced for off-the-peg garments of that complexity.  Can you see them in person, or are you relying wholly on an on-line purchase?

Lord Clisto of York

I have not heard or dealt with them at all either. But, I do think that teir pricing is a bit over the top for things. There are some places elsewhere that the quality looks as good or better and the prices are more reasonable. Paying $125 for a pair of breeches is pretty steep. And, their shirts are all over the place pricewise. Just an observation from the many places I have shopped and faires I have been to. There are some things in the ballpark though. Personally, most garb I rather be able to see and touch as well as possibly try on. Less messing around and more of getting exactly what you want.

Lord Sir Clisto of York
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

gem

Ok, is it just me, or is the trim on some of those things really wonky?  Like this one, where it stops about an inch from the buttons on one side, but goes under them on the other.  I think I would really need to see much better pictures before committing.

Lord Clisto of York

Yepper Gem, looks pretty definitive on that pic. I just think there are a lot better clothiers out there for the same and way better made. Not to say they may have some decent things, but again, $125 for pants? It is definitely a place you want to actually see, touch and try the merchandise first.

Lord Sir Clisto of York

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

HAving done many pairs of Breeches for Pirates and more the blousy Venetians style to go with Doublets, $100- $125 seems reasonable for the fabrics, buttons, and labor.

When I do the Pirate style of Breeches, I do the Button Fly style, have pockets, and use a nice Cotton Twill.

When I use a lighter weight Cotton Velveteeen, I line them with a Cotton Broadcloth. All fabrics are prewashed. Waist and leg bands also are buttoned or have clasps, depending on what is requested.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lord Clisto of York

Not saying I disagree, but I have never paind anything like that for pants. I dont use buttons in them either. To me thats a lot. Shirts, thats different in the style. But the looks of their stuff seems different. Not saying its bad, just be cautious. But I do find them a bit pricy all round for the pics they show of their stuff.