News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Return to the Green (Greenville, SC)

Started by Tammy, March 07, 2009, 08:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tammy

I'm guessing no one else on here is close enough to go to this...but I just found it today...and wanted to share....
This is in Greenville, South Carolina...tomorrow!

The 14th annual celebration of all things Irish will be held Sunday in Falls Park, featuring food, music, dancers and more from the Emerald Isle.

Featured performer Buddy O'Reilly Band will play traditional Irish music on traditional Irish instruments, Flynn said, including the fiddle, flute, bodhran (an Irish drum made of goat skin) and uillean (pronounced "ill-in") pipes.

Local dancers from the West End Dance Company, joined by professional dancers from Charlotte-based Rince Na hEireann (Irish for "Dance of Ireland") dance school, will wow the audience with their Irish step dances.

Opening ceremonies will include music from the City of Greenville Pipes and Drums and a parade of the 32 county flags of Ireland.

"It's quite impressive," Flynn said.

Vendors will offer crafts and food, and Flynn said one group of Irish women who offer homemade goodies are an annual draw.

"They actually delve into some of their secret recipes and provide an assortment of Irish pastries and desserts and brown breads and things like that that you wouldn't be able to find over here," he said.

Also included in the day's festivities will be music from local band Skeeziks, children's activities, a drawing for a $500 cash prize and more.

"It is a sharing of culture and fun," Flynn said.
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.

Hibernian

So did anyone make it to the event? How was it? Would you reccommend it for next year?
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Tammy

I went, but was only able to stay about an hour. Living in Greenville, I'm definitely gonna make plans to go next year...but I'm not sure if I'd travel any distance for it (at least from what I saw of it).
The Greenville Pipe and Drum band were great, I didn't get to see the dancers or the other bands. There were a few merchant type vendors, and several food & beer vendors.
The park was PACKED full of people.
Royal Protector of Raccoons, Mistress of the Poi, Best Friend of Windland/Nim, Guppy, Seamstress for The Feisty Lady.