News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

WARRIORS on the History Channel

Started by Sir William Marcus, March 12, 2009, 03:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir William Marcus

Starts tonight   
March 12th 2009 10pm/9c

http://www.history.com/content/warriors
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Sir William Marcus

Thursday, March 19, 2009

10-11pm -- Warriors - Viking Terror
What does it take to be a warrior? Travel the globe alongside modern-day warrior, SFC Terry Schappert, and go inside the culture of some of the most famous warriors of all time to explore their weaponry, tactics and, ultimately, their psyche. Norway and Poland--991 AD: The Hells Angels of the Middle Ages pillage Europe, but they meet their match--the Saxons--at the Battle of Maldon.
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Kruzar

So what does everyone think? 

I thought it was ok.  Pretty interesting show, but I got really tired of the word Warriors by the end of it.  I get the point the show is about Warriors.. :)
Gentleman Rogue

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Having lived in the "Warrior" community of which SFC Terry Schappert has familiarity with, you'd be amazed at how much they use the term. It's a mind set to keep our lads in the "right" spirit. What I found amazing was how many times he used the word "awesome". It was mind numbing... :P

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Quote from: Sir William Marcus on March 15, 2009, 11:11:45 PM
What does it take to be a warrior? Travel the globe alongside modern-day warrior, SFC Terry Schappert, and go inside the culture of some of the most famous warriors of all time to explore their weaponry, tactics and, ultimately, their psyche. Norway and Poland--991 AD: The Hells Angels of the Middle Ages pillage Europe, but they meet their match--the Saxons--at the Battle of Maldon.

This was a pretty good show. A lot let use of "awesome" and he called the Vikings...dudes. :P
There could have been more on the armor and weapons I think, but all in all, it was entertaining.

He even appeared to get "punked" when a living historian stripped him of his shield with the Dane axe.....priceless!

Trillium

I enjoyed the viking show last night!  Being part Swedish, it was a great way to learn more about my ancestry!
Got faerie dust?

Sir William Marcus

I agree, this wasn't bad a bad show at all.  I enjoyed it.  

Quote from: Warrior_Monk on March 20, 2009, 07:00:31 AM
He even appeared to get "punked" when a living historian stripped him of his shield with the Dane axe.....priceless!

Did you also catch him being stripped (or would of been stripped) of his manhood by the historian with the spear?

Sir William Marcus

Thursday March 26th. 9:00 eastern

Warriors: Barbarian Massacre
Germany, 9 AD: The Romans, with the greatest army in the world, are annihilated by Germanic tribes at the Battle of Teutoburg Forest. What does it take to be a warrior? Travel the globe alongside modern-day warrior, SFC Terry Schappert, and go inside the culture of some of the most famous warriors of all time to explore their weaponry, tactics and, ultimately, their psyche.

Poldugarian Warrior

Watched it, not too much new info., but still the Viking story is always good to hear again. A good show all around especially for new comers to this part of history. Really lookign forward to next week, since many shows don't deal with so many pre-1000AD battles.

DonaCatalina

They left a lot out about the politics of the Third crusade. But it was interesting. Who is the actor who played Richard?
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Poldugarian Warrior

Haven't seen the Crusades one, but I just watched the one about the samurai. Very good show, didn't know how really effective and complex their weaponry actually was. And the technique is stunning.

Sir William Marcus

Thursday, April 16, 2009

10-11pm -- Warriors - The Last Crusaders
Modern day warrior, Green Beret Terry Schappert, reveals how 700 Christian soldiers defeated 40,000 Ottomans in one of history's greatest siege battles. He demonstrates the tactics--including weapons of fire--that led to victory.

Poldugarian Warrior

There's a show on Spike TV and they pit two of the greatest types or warriors by name of a certain time period in battle through a computer that calculates win totals in all scenarios. But, before this they explain the weapons used by each warrior and demonstrate it's effectiveness. It's a bit like that show Surviving History. The last episode was the Apache Warrior vs. Roman Gladiator. Surprisingly the Apache warrior won, because it used bow and arrow. But, take a look at a re-run to get further details and watch the new ones. I found the firts to be very informative.

Robert eben Hope

I really enjoy this show. I really liked the one about King Henry V and his archers at the Battle of Agincourt. Very informative.

Sir William Marcus

Quote from: Poldugarian Warrior on April 14, 2009, 10:03:06 PM
There's a show on Spike TV and they pit two of the greatest types or warriors by name of a certain time period in battle through a computer that calculates win totals in all scenarios.

I saw the preview for the first time last night.  It was Ninja vs Spartan.  I'm going to have to put my money on the Ninja due to its versatility.

TONIGHT Wednesday 15th @ 11pm its..

Viking versus Samurai.
The savage Scandinavian raider that plundered Europe for almost a thousand years, against the blinding speed and skill of Japan's elite warrior class. It's power versus speed, axe against sword, berserk rage against precision, as these heavily armored legends face off in a battle to the death.

Ladies and Gentleman, Place your bets!

Each week on Deadliest Warrior, a new episode will pit two of the most feared warriors civilization has ever known against each other. Along with the use of 21st century science and the latest in CGI technology, each episode enlists warrior-specific world-class fighters and experts to provide insight into what makes these combatants tick, analyzing every facet of their unique skills of destruction, culminating in a head-to-head final fight between two legends of the battlefield that will produce the deadliest warrior. Other highly-anticipated showdowns this season include: Pirate vs. Knight, Taliban vs. IRA, Yakuza vs. Mafia, Viking vs. Samurai, Green Beret vs. Spetznaz, Maori vs. Shaolin Monks, William Wallace vs. Shaka Zulu and Ninja vs. Spartan.

New Episodes air on Tuesdays @ 10pm