News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

how bad will the economy hurt sterling and all fairs/festivals

Started by duffy, March 25, 2009, 02:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tygrkat

Ooh! That's good to know that you can bring water in, that will save a few trips to the van :)
Grammercy, Irish!
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

ALS

Our last year at the show concessions sales we so poor that booths were having sick outs. The other portion of the conccessions belonged to Cliff and to a few senior actors as part of thier pay package and payroll for them was based on each weekends take. People were not getting paid because sales were so bad so whole staffs were calling in sick. This was not a function of dietary necessity but the hibachi park in the parking lot.

Do what you have to do i'm just laying out the cash stream break down and how behavior will and has had an impact on the show. I have no vested interest as we no longer do the event beyond hoping that Mr.Waterbury can salvage it, but when the event's cash streams go down below a certain level, and does so for several years it absolutly impacts the event. If you want it to stay there for you, you will have to support it by buying tickets and frequenting concessions, ditto for the artisans, if they can't cover thier costs they have no choice but to close up shoppe. They whole thing only works if folks provide the money for it to do so.

Cobaltblu

Well when I attended in 2007 and 2008 I only left the faire to get an umbrella or drop off purchases in my car; otherwise I stayed in the gates all day.

Maybe I could have saved some money by getting food from the car but it is so hot that anything I put in the car for lunch might not be very appetizing after a few hours of 120 deg. F heat inside the car.

Besides the food in the faire is much more interesting than anything I could buy in a store; I drive from the Albany area and stay in a hotel when I attend so I can't really cook anything.

Also it kind of breaks the mood to walk out of the gates and reenter again.

As I have done in the past I'll buy food and drinks inside the gates, for the above reasons (but will eat a big breakfast before I come!).

However I am going to bring powdered Gatorade to mix in the bottled water for electrolytes.

I really wish they would sell Gatorade or a similar drink with electrolytes...and not an energy drink with a boatload of caffeine.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Count Adolfo

Well, we just wrapped up a season at BARF in Tampa and I can tell you that, for the most part, attendance wasn't lacking.  Gate likely did just fine.
Now, I have several vendor friends who said they were struggling.  Sales were down and some were just about breaking even.  Of course, if it's a local vendor, that might not be too bad... but a vendor who has travel and lodging expenses?  Yeah, I wouldn't pack all that up to travel a great distance and barely make my money back.
That might be a problem right there.

As far as concessions go, I don't really have any idea if they did well.  I know I bought my share of cider... lol... and I know we diehards with the season passes did what we could...
;)

Consider us a Renconomic Stimulus Package

duffy

[quote

***A lot of people attending faire, cannot eat the fried foods, so I think that is why some bring food in, plus some of the vendor foods are not "kid friendly". Most seem to be 'tailored' to adult tastes.***
[/quote]
they do have healthy foods. between the huge fruit stand they had and the nuts, portabella burger thingy and some other stuff, you really can eat healthy and support the festival

NicoleBridget

They had a fruit cart in the commons last year which I LOVED!  Just what I needed, I hope we always have it.  On those super hot days the last thing I want to do is eat a lot of heavy fried foods.

kcdcchef

a lot of faires suffer from the idea that they have almost nothing but fried foods. hogwash. i actually look forward to going to faire so i can enjoy the food. and there are plenty of non fried foods the kids can enjoy, adults too.

you have to do some looking around to find it, but i recall seeing the fruit, there is always kettle corn, nuts, ice cream usually, philly sandwiiches, there are plenty of options people!

kcdcchef

last time i was there, been several years now, i was positive i saw philly cheesesteaks. i could be off the mark on the kettle corn though. just guessing.

kcdcchef

http://www.sterlingfestival.com/thefestival/SpiritsFeasting/tabid/128/Default.aspx

Good God, the food has drastically improved sine my last visit to sterling. 2005 to be exact. damn. and there is so far beyond fried foods there, wow.

Spirits and Feasting

You'll find specialties from around the world, all fit for a Queen!

?YE QUEEN'S PATH?

BREAKFAST PASTRIES

Cinnamon Buns, Scones and Coffee.

PORTABELLA MUSHROOM SANDWICH

A robust portabella mushroom cap marinated in roasted garlic balsamic vinaigrette then topped with Monterey Jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and a sweet roasted red pepper sauce.  Served on a warm seasoned Foccacia bun.

FILO PIES

Delicious blends of vegetables, cheeses and spices in a flaky filo pocket.

TUSCAN FEAST

Tomatoes, roasted peppers, and marinated veggies in a bread bowl.

SEAFOOD SALAD

Chilled seafood salad nestled in a bread bowl.

CHICKEN CORDON BLEU

A char-broiled chicken breast topped with ham, melted swiss & provolone cheese

and  a sweet roasted red pepper sauce on an old world-style bun.

TORTELLINI SALAD

Fresh cheese filled tortellini with tomato, onions, olives, peppers and garlic.

PEASANT BREAD

A traditional favorite...fresh raised dough fried in the finest of imported oils served hot with melted butter and your choice of mouth-watering honey, maple syrup, cinnamon and sugar, or fruited topping. 

HOT APPLE DUMPLINGS

A peeled and cored apple rolled in a flaky seasoned pie crust, topped with the Queen's finest ice cream and cinnamon sauce. A mouth-watering fantasy for one and all!

FISH & CHIPS

A fresh filet of fish fried to a golden brown with a mound of natural chips & coleslaw alongside.

FRIED CLAM, FRIED SCALLOP, OR FRIED SHRIMP PLATTER

Golden fried clams, scallops or shrimp, served with a mound of natural chips & coleslaw alongside.

WAFFLE SUNDAES

Fresh baked waffle bowls filled with a variety of cool & refreshing ice cream and your choice of toppings.

FRUIT & ICE CREAM

A mountain of seasonal fruit topped with creamy vanilla ice cream drizzled with a strawberry sauce.

THE BLACK HORSE PUB

Thirst quenching hearty and mellow drinks.

Michelob Light, Amber Bock, Woodchuck Cider, White and Blush Wine along with a variety of new ales.

Coca-Cola, Diet Coca-Cola, Pink lemonade, Birch Beer, Iced Tea,  Milk, Coffee, Tea, Bottled Water, Monster Energy Drinks

?WARWICK COMMONS?

SHISH-KA-BOBS

Marinated chicken or beef kabobs on a skewer.

SALT POTATOES

Tiny new potatoes boiled in salt brine topped with creamy melted butter.

YE STUFFED SPUD

An Irish gem baked through and served with a choice of toppings –

butter, sour cream, chives, cheddar cheese, or tomato sauce and mushrooms.

MARCO POLO PYES

A mingling of melted cheeses nestled in a bed of exotic herbs and spices,

on a baker's palette to tantalize the tastes of the young and old.

TOMATO PIE

A hot & crispy crust covered with a thick tomato sauce and sprinkled with grated cheese.

?ORCHARD LANE?

STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE

A sweet & crumbly biscuit topped with juicy strawberries and fluffy whipped cream!

ROYAL PUFFS

Large round puffs plumped nicely with a sweet filling and smothered with chocolate fudge icing!

YE DUNKED BROWNIES

Gooey shire-made brownies dunked in warm chocolate fudge and decorated with a variety of toppings.

CHICKEN FINGERS & CURLY FRIES

White meat chicken tenderloins deep fried to a golden crisp served with crisp

fried coils of potato and a variety of dipping sauces.

GOLDEN CHEESE CURDS

Fresh curd of cheddar cheese breaded and deep fried...a nibbler's delight!

FALSTAFF TAVERN

Thirst quenching Hearty Drinks

Michelob Light, Amber Bock, Woodchuck Cider, White and Blush Wine along with a variety of new ales.

?HIGH ROAD?

PORK POCKETS

A gourmet's delight...choice pork fresh from the pit and highly seasoned with a secret

sauce served in a fresh pita pocket and topped with our own tasty cole slaw. 

STEAK-ON-A-STAKE

Juicy & tender charbroiled Steak-On-A-Stake coated in a secret Renaissance Rub!

SMOOTHIES

A cool and refreshing sweet blend of fresh fruit and crushed ice.

?MARKET CROSS?

FRUIT & JERKY CART

Enjoy an assortment of Fresh Fruit & Dried Meats

?KING HENRY'S WAY?

TURKEY LEGS

A robust pound of succulent turkey leg charcoaled to perfection and spiced with a variety of precious seasonings guaranteed to satisfy the heartiest of appetites!

ROYAL ROASTED NUTS

Honey roasted almonds, cashews & pecans glazed with care to create a delicious gourmet delight!

DESSERT DELICACIES

Words cannot describe the richness and elegance of these delicacies.

Mile high cakes filled and topped with rich, luscious layers of chocolate

Venetian cream, French chocolate mousse, or many other delicious flavors. 

TIRAMISU

Pick Me Up - Light and rich!

It is made of lady fingers dipped in coffee and mascarpone cream

THE TASTINGS BOOTH

Enjoy the opportunity to sample a variety of ales!

?ROAD TO NOWHERE?

BAD DOG TAVERN

Enjoy beverages from mellow and hearty barrels while engaging

in a variety of Warwickshire's delectable appetizers.

* Please Note: 

The Bad Dog Tavern will be open at the end of any private events or functions.

?THE BOGGES?

TAVERN ON THE BOGGES

Thirst quenching Hearty and Mellow Drinks

Coca-Cola, Diet Coca-Cola, Pink lemonade, Birch Beer, Iced Tea,  Milk, Coffee, Tea, Bottled Water, Monster Energy Drinks

?WANDERING TREATS?

PRETZELS

Large traditional golden brown twists of bread.

FRESH BAKED COOKIES

Chocolate chip, White Chocolate Macadamia Nut, and Oatmeal Raisin.

PICKLES

Crisp cold garlic pickles.

MELLOW DRINKS

Water Wagons and Monster Energy Drinks

?DRINKS?

HEARTY

Michelob Light, Amber Bock, Woodchuck Cider, White and Blush Wine

along with a variety of new ales.

MELLOW

Coca-Cola, Diet Coca-Cola, Pink Lemonade, Birch Beer, Iced Tea,

Milk, Coffee, Tea, Bottled Water, Monster Energy Drinks

Ozium

Hmm i never remember Cheese Steaks, Could you have perhaps gone to the NY Renaissance festival in Tuxedo, Ny? It is held in Sterling Forrest
which is a long way from the Sterling Renaissance Festival. I just looked at their menu, they don't have cheese steaks but do have
kettle corn which i can not remember seeing at Sterling either.

Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

kcdcchef

Quote from: Ozium on April 11, 2009, 09:31:21 AM
Hmm i never remember Cheese Steaks, Could you have perhaps gone to the NY Renaissance festival in Tuxedo, Ny? It is held in Sterling Forrest
which is a long way from the Sterling Renaissance Festival. I just looked at their menu, they don't have cheese steaks but do have
kettle corn which i can not remember seeing at Sterling either.

been to both actually. neither are my home faire that i go to several times or anything. i have never been to either more than once in a season, but, i could have just been wrong. i remembered them more after the pork pocket thingie, it seemed like that is where i got them. but oh well. no biggie.

i just was into the topic more and more now that the genre of faires only served fried foods and turkey legs, is just wrong.

robert of armstrong

Quote from: Cobaltblu on March 25, 2009, 03:06:09 PM
I think 99% of people who attend Sterling probably live in the local area.

Local people don't have to travel great distances or pay for hotel rooms so the cost to get TO the faire isn't that bad.

Some of us travel, in fact there has been loyal groups from the Great White North that regularly attend, sometimes twice a year.  Unfortunately only two visits means that we are only there to spend on two occasions, but what we lack in persistence we make up for in intensity.  A trip to Sterling usually means dropping around $400 in a day, for admission, food, and ale for our usual group of four, not including any garb/weapon/home decor/etc. purchases.  This year $400 US means $500 CAN.  We budget throughout the year to go to Faire.

Something to think about - in our current economy, people may be inclined to try to save a few bucks by doing something like going to their cars instead of buying food.  That makes your day less expensive, but does nothing to keep the booths and therefore Faires open.  I understand trying to save a little money, but if everyone who attends the Faire holds back $10, that takes a large sum of money out of the hands of those merchants, artisans, and owners of the Faire, making it less profitable to run the Faire, keep the booth or produce the wares.  There is less money to hire performers.  It becomes a viscous circle - if a booth can't make money, it may close.  Suddenly there is an empty booth or two.  Now the Faire appears to be failing, less people come out because it is loosing it's magic.  Less money coming in, more booths close, maybe now the Faire isn't going to make any money.  A Faire that doesn't make money isn't going to stay open forever.

I plan to do my best to help make sure that the above doesn't happen.  I am trying to increase the numbers of the group that I bring down to the Faire that opens my RenFest season.  I am but one person, and the Faire is but one, sometimes two weekends per year for me, but I will do what I can.

I say that there is 10 weeks until Faire.  If we eliminate one cup of coffee or can of pop per day until then, that's like an extra $70 to help each of us enjoy the Faire.  And that is EXTRA money, beyond what we were budgeting for the Faire.  Or, at the end of each day, put the change from your pocket in a jug, and leave it there.  Add the change from your pocket at the end of each day.  The week before Faire, take that jug of change out, roll the coins and take them to the bank.  Add this BONUS money to the money you already had planned to spend at the Faire and you have just increased your enjoyment at the Faire, either by getting the extra snacks you wanted, or picking up that mug or tankard, or that belt, or peasant shirt or whatever.

And you have helped make sure that the Faire isn't going to be in trouble anytime soon, and helped it be around to create more great times and wonderful memories for a whole new generation of RENNIES.

Sorry about the rant.  Been working all night.  And I love the Sterling Renaissance Festival.

***Steps off soapbox***
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

IndeanaSunday

Totally agreed, robert! You're idea of putting spare change in a jar is excellent and vastly underrated. My husband and I just vacationed to San Francisco and 6 months of change in a jar amounted to almost $500 that we were able to spend on luxuries like seeing "Wicked" (amazing and worth every penny!) and going to a fancy Easter brunch.

I read once that the best thing to do in when the economy is down is to ignore it. Like you said, if we don't spend other people don't earn. The important thing is to spend wisely. If you buy a Big Mac the money is spread throughout a chain of 1,000s of people and ultimately ends up in the hands of an ugly conglomerate. If you buy a handmade craft or grab lunch at a locally owned restaurant your money goes to a smaller group of individuals that you directly support.

Keep in mind too, that a significant (I believe the figure is around 20%) amount of the Faire's profit comes from soda and ale sales. While it might be more frugal to grab the $1 bottle of water at the gas station up the street, the extra $1.50 you spend at Faire goes a long way towards paying actors, maintenance folk, and making improvements to the grounds.

NicoleBridget

I agree with you both.  Even though I usually only get to fest 1 weekend per year, I intend to support it any way I can while I'm there...buying my food, drinks and souvenirs as usual.  The difference is I'll just have to budget for the expenditure beforehand.  If everyone could think...ah, heck what's an extra $25 out of my pocket for concessions all day if it helps to keep the festival going...I'm sure it would make a world of difference.

In the same vein, I don't go out to eat as much as I used to but when I go now I try to tip 25-30%.  We're all struggling and it's only a few extra bucks out of my pocket, but it probably means a lot to the waitstaff.

The turn in the economy has actually inspired me to donate MORE to the causes I love like Big Brothers Big Sisters and our local Humane Society.  It's all given me an attiude of...pick your causes/wants and do MORE than usual because I'm not the only one struggling.  SRF is a cause/want of mine that I not only want to see scrape by, but flourish, as the years pass.  So I'll do my part to support them this summer.

SterlingFan

I too am in complete agreement with both robert of armstrong & IndeanaSunday !

Great ideas for saving up for Faire !  Saving loose change really adds up fast !

Bringing your own lunch & coffee to work/school is a great way to save & much healthier for you too !  Have you ever looked up the fat, sugar, salt & calorie content of restaurant food & coffee shop drinks ? - yuck !  I realize that doing so takes away from those businesses also, but I don't want to spend my money on junk - I want to spend it at the Faire  :) !

I don't want Mr. Waterbury to regret his decision of buying the Festival because it's not making money and decide to close it !  We've all been biting our nails over the last several years in worry of our beloved Faire not being able to survive.  If I have to make a few sacrifices to be able to attend the Faire & support the vendors, artisans, etc.. then I will !
Home Faire: Sterling Renaissance Festival

"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here !"