News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Twig-Glensheen Mansion

Started by ladiedragon, May 18, 2008, 01:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladiedragon

Ok, so I was going through my book "The MN Road Guide to Haunted Locations" and I knew that Glensheen Mansion was supposedly haunted. And I thought if well.. me and tod could get in for a tour  maybe on sunday-we could tour the place. I havent really looked into it to much yet but plan on searching online and maybe calling sometime to find out more info. And if we can get a group of ten or more we can try and call to book a group tour. Would anyone be intersted in doing this?

http://www.d.umn.edu/glen/visit/tours.html

divapixie

Not to sound offensive but "Been there done that"... back in my girl scouting days... we did a tour and studied the murders.
Its gorgoues by the way... if you've never been, you definitely need to go.
"I have the heart of a child... in a jar on my desk."

Tarac

I herd that they were going to open the top floor finally so the whole place can be toured.
Scotch the only way to go

mystycbob

Great idea LD. I love the Glensheen Mansion, toured it about in 2000 and it was great.
Dovie Andi Sa Tovya Sagain

Baron Doune

ok not to offend....

Kay and I have been going to Glensheen for years.

The third floor and attic were opened up in 1992.  The most amazing part is that the primary structure of Glensheen is iron and concrete, not wood.  Only seen from the attic.

The murders at Glensheen are well documented but yet the tour guides, and keep in mind were talking living history people, were told not to talk about it.

The 1977 murders of Elisabeth Congdon and Velma Pietila are the subject of the book "Will to Murder". Duluth's Glensheen Mansion..the scene of the double murder.

In the past we've always had to buy tickets early in the morning as they do sell out very early...by 11ish.

To my knowledge I don't think you can block off a group for the tour.  May be wrong on this.

If you've never been there, an have more than a fleeting interest in MN history, you would enjoy it.

ladiedragon

thanks.....nevermind

Tod and I will be going, just thought OTHERS would be interested in this..not to offend.

oh and..."Admission is first-come-first-served, so plan to arrive early.
Please call 218-726-8910 or 1-888-454-GLEN for advanced reservations for groups of 10 or more"

So if any of those who haven't seen it and would like to go,cool

Rage

Quote from: ladiedragon on May 18, 2008, 08:22:40 PM
thanks.....nevermind

Tod and I will be going, just thought OTHERS would be interested in this..not to offend.

oh and..."Admission is first-come-first-served, so plan to arrive early.
Please call 218-726-8910 or 1-888-454-GLEN for advanced reservations for groups of 10 or more"

So if any of those who haven't seen it and would like to go,cool

And anyone who has seen it but would like to go...cool...

Kiss-me-Kate

I read the book the Baron mentioned.  It was fascinating.   Marg Congdon was totally nutters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The green tiled atrium room is stunning.  I haven't been to Glensheen in years but doubt we will go this trip.  Perhaps next year.

The tour guides do not discuss the murders and will quickly quiet anyone who tries to bring it up.

Another interesting house to tour is the James J. Hill house in St Paul on Summit Ave.   Follow it with lunch at Forepaugh's and it is a great way to spend the afternoon.  I don't think it is haunted though.

Sorry, I am sort of a history geek.  *back to the Glensheen mansion discussion*

~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

DeadBishop

We've yet to take the tour.  We might be up for it depending on how the weekend breaks down...

R/F.com member since 2003

Rage

Quote from: Kiss-me-Kate on May 18, 2008, 11:08:03 PM
I read the book the Baron mentioned.  It was fascinating.   Marg Congdon was totally nutters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The green tiled atrium room is stunning.  I haven't been to Glensheen in years but doubt we will go this trip.  Perhaps next year.

The tour guides do not discuss the murders and will quickly quiet anyone who tries to bring it up.

Another interesting house to tour is the James J. Hill house in St Paul on Summit Ave.   Follow it with lunch at Forepaugh's and it is a great way to spend the afternoon.  I don't think it is haunted though.

Yeah, everyone I know who has been through the mansion and tried to bring up the murders were hushed quickly. A couple years ago I got to talk to one of the women who did tours. She ended up quiting because she got in trouble for not hushing people quick enough. I had belonged to a paranormal research group at the time and we were tring to get permission to invetigate the mansion. We will just say that it was not happening. They won't even let the local TAPS affilate in.

Lady Cristina

Would you believe I've lived up there for 27 years and never went!!! It was one of those things that you have it in your backyard to you'll go later.  I wish i had.  I work on Sunday so I'll only be in Twig for Saturday otherwise I would've definitely wanted to go.  Hmm, going home this weekend, maybe I'll see if I can get there.

Goody

I just came a across a brochure while cleaning 20 mins ago!! and thought it would be fun for the grp but with time didnt think anyone would be interested. I think ya gotta go at least once. I am definately with Diva that I have done my fair shair of visiting in Girl Scouts. Hey did u shine silverware in the carriage house? That sticks out in my mind for some reason. I personally am more interested in the Fairlawn mansion (christina plz tll me uv at least been to this one?!) in Superior. I find things like 100 yr old linoleum, "central air," and first elevator in the Northland kinda cool.

The last tour I took at Gleensheen was hosted by Denny Anderson (big local newsanchor). Apparently now they will discuss the murders but prefer to do so out doors or in common areas (not bedrooms) out of respect.

ladiedragon

Quote from: Kiss-me-Kate on May 18, 2008, 11:08:03 PM

I have never been to the James J. Hill House and I live 5 minutes from it. BUT I have been to Forepaughs and the food is super yummy. oh and it is supposedly haunted too. :D

Poco the Pirate

If mommy lets me go to twig this year I would absolutely love to go! I use to live up there but the last time I was in the mansion was 15 years ago. The book was really good too so it kinda gives new insight that a toodler doesnt really have   :P
You never know when a leperon might attack

angelftb

Went to Glensheen many, many years ago.  Would love to go again sometime.  I agree with others...if you haven't been there, you definitely have to go!  The only book that I have read about the murders is "Glensheen's Daughter:  The Marjorie Congdon Story".  Great book.  Will have to look for the other one.
I don't want to play nice anymore......I just want to play!!!

ladiedragon

Well, I think Tod and I are going to go on sunday morning. get there by 930am to get tickets (before the times sell out)

Rage

Think they will let us tour in fest garb?  ;D

ladiedragon

sure why not.. what is we go to goose berry falls and split rock lighthouse? or somewhere else

SleepyArcher

I am up for sight seeing up there. And we might be kidlet free!!!!!!!!
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Baron Doune

If you can get in early into Glensheen all the beter.

but if you have to wait a few hours you might want to try the train museum...
http://www.lsrm.org/Home/Home.asp

or the very cool or the Ore ship tour.
http://www.decc.org/attractions/irvin/

Kay and I will be headed up north very early.  We need to find the next lighthouse beyond Split Rock.

ladiedragon

yea, i think we were planning on getting up to the mansion by about 9..930am on sunday

Phelyp, Lord Maydestone

I toured the mansion a few times, quite beautiful.  I remember once when I was a young child and was going through it with my parents I blurted out 'where was the lady killed?' - we were quickly ushered out of the building!  Too funny!
It's always time for Chardonnay!