News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Period Recipes

Started by DonaCatalina, May 14, 2009, 01:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cilean

Best Loaf of Bread Evah!

Garden Herb Loaf

This is undeniably one of the most beautiful loaves of bread to look at or taste (that I have made, anyway). Because it is a braided loaf it also requires no slicing. Just sit it on the table and watch them tear it apart. I normally bake it on airbake cookie sheets to keep the bottom from over browning.

Ingredients:
     4 to 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
              2 packages of yeast
            3/4-teaspoon marjoram leaves
            3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
            3/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
            1/2-cup water
              1 egg
              3 tablespoons sugar
          1 1/2 teaspoons salt
            3/4-cup milk
            1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter additional spices to taste

In a large bowl combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, un-dissolved yeast, salt, marjoram, thyme and rosemary. Heat the milk, water and ΒΌ cup butter together until very warm (120 to 130 degrees); then stir into the dry ingredients. Stir in egg and enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4 to 6 minutes. Cover and let rest on a floured surface for 10 minutes.

Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 30-inch rope. Braid the ropes together and pinch the ends to seal.  Tie a knot in the center of the braid, and wrap the ends around the knot in opposite directions and tuck under to make a round loaf. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Cover; let rise in a warm, draft free place until doubled in size, about 20 to 40 minutes.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until done, covering the loaf with foil the last 10 minutes to prevent over browning. Melt the remaining butter and brush it over the loaf. If desired, sprinkle with additional spices. Remove from cookie sheet and let cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy! Cilean

[/color][/font][/size]
Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

bellevivre

ooh- sounds like this would be lovely with some rosemary butter...or savory toasted cheese!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

midnightferret

I think I hurt my head on Aiacha's and bellvivre's...

groomporter

Thought this might be of interest

A friend put together the following list of provisions provided by the VOC (Dutch East India Company) to its ships in the early 17th c.

It is taken from the Halve Maen (Half Moon) interpretive manual found at http://www.hrmm.org/halfmoon/manual.htm

1. Meat (Beef)
2. Bacon (Pork)
3. Wine
4. Brandy
5. Oil
6. Klein beer (i.e. small beer)
7. "Good" beer
8. Spanish Wine
9. French Wine
10. Vinegar
11. Water
12. Ham (for officers)
13. Smoked Beef (for officers)
14. Smoked tongue (for officers)
15. Biscuit
16. Groats
17. White peas
18. Gray peas
19. Beans
20. Butter
21. Stock-fish (usually dried cod)
22. Cream Cheese
23. Hard Cheese
24. Salted Pork
25. Salted Beef
26. Pickled Herring
27. Whale Blubber
28. Brandy
29. Salt
30. Mustard Seed
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Jinglebum

As if I wasn't hungry enough already! >.< XD
I want steak pie now... It sounds delicious. *daydreams about steak pie*
I'm so making that opening weekend of faire... YUM!!
Oh... Shiny!

Brother Robert of Essex

Does anyone know of any vendor where one can buy or order completed renaissance dishes?  I found http://www.seatofmars.com/ but they seem defunct and you can't order anymore.  I'd love to try some authentic food but not enough that I want to start buying all the ingredients, equipment, etc to recreate it.  Not to mention I'm a rotten cook  :P