News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pirate vs. Knight

Started by tiberiusflynn, April 29, 2009, 01:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiberiusflynn

So apparently, Deadliest Warrior had a 17th century Pirate face off with a old school Knight in armor.

Anyone catch this episode? I unfortunately didn't as I don't have cable. I know who won through some scuttlebutt around the office but don't want to ruin it for anyone....

Kruzar

I didn't catch it.. but you can watch it online as well..

http://www.spike.com/full-episode/31860
Gentleman Rogue

Lord Figaro

I just watched it and have to say. I'm not surprised by the end result.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Lord Clisto of York

The big thing to understand is the time period. Make it a Old School vs Old School and it is completely different. There was a reason the knight was phased out later on. Especially when black powder started. It's kind of like compairing 8 track against digital recordings. I still like the show and find it entertaining. I do prefer Weapons masters more.
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

tiberiusflynn

Quote from: sir clisto on April 30, 2009, 01:58:21 AM
The big thing to understand is the time period. Make it a Old School vs Old School and it is completely different. There was a reason the knight was phased out later on. Especially when black powder started. It's kind of like compairing 8 track against digital recordings. I still like the show and find it entertaining. I do prefer Weapons masters more.

I definitely agree with time period differences. Although, I have to say, I honestly thought the knight would've had more of a chance seeing how he's basically a walking tank and the pirate had no armor at all. Either way...being a pirate myself I was rooting for the scoundrel.

Sadly, I don't have cable...or internet at home...

Blackjack Roberts

Considering the average weight of a suit of armor (45-55 pounds) you have to admire the sheer stamina of the knights of old. In a technologically level playing field the outcome would have probably been quite different.

The weight of "bullet proof" armor made it completely impractical.

Still, being a pirate meself......Ye just know we'd not be fightn' fair in the first place.  ;) ;D

Lord Clisto of York

The only other thing that they didnt even consider and had happen was the misfiring of the gun or guns. That should have been calculated in the mix but was given the second chance to fire again. You only get one chance with the big gun. That and the fact that most pirates also didnt even carry grenades or the large gun or even had one. So, with mainly just the pistol, that was ineffective as shown. Like I said, the period with advanced stuff is why many things would not really be an accurate account. Don't get me wrong, I like the pirate era. It is all in the fun of speculation.

Blackjack Roberts

Quite true indeed, sir clisto. One of the reasons that most pirates carried more than one pistol into battle was exactly that chance of misfire.

It is all just fun speculation, but methinks hardly fair to the knight.

What would prove to be a more interesting contest, (in my own opinion), would be knight vs gladiator. The weapons are more or less equal, and it would be interesting to see if the additional mobility of wearing less armor would be a factor in the results.

Lord Clisto of York

That is a little closer for sure. There is one factor that many do not truly understand as well, and that is the armor was not restrictive. Plate armor was very articulated and men could jump, roll, spin, dodge, squat or whatever in it. Running is more restrictive but most other movement was not in all honesty. Chain on the other hand was not like that. I have seen knights move just as fast as an unarmored opponent and it surprises a lot of people. So, even that part of the show was not correct. But hay, it is entertaining.

Sir William Marcus

VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Dustin

If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down. Romeo & Juliet, 1.IV

TKM

some men may think it foolish to come into a pirate forum saying this, but i was completely disappointed by that outcome. Still, that's the episode that introduced me to Deadliest Warrior, and now I'm hooked. In fact, tonight's episode starts in just one minute and i'm preparing for it now.