News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

New Home, New Look, New Faces

Started by FaireMare, May 18, 2008, 07:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

Name: Lady Stitch
Joined RF: 2004-2005, can't remember
Board Title: None
Participation at Faire:   Playtron at Scarby & Texas Ren Fest.
Garbing Experience:  Sewing since I was 3, had own sewing machine since 8.  Made own halloween costumes starting at 12. Make my "Shakespere project" for HS  was a historically accurate Juliet costume. Make all  my formals for HS & Collage. Married an actor and started making costumes professionally.  Spent a year over seas working with tutors from the Sydney opera house, academy award winners, and NZ national ballet.  Came back to US, and started costuming shows at a local theater.  In the mean time  have been the garber for every noob who has joined our guild.  And resident seamstress for our guild. 
After all these years of making things for other's I always end up buying my own garb  ::)

I'll add a pic later. :)
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

sealion

Name: Cindy aka Captain Cin McPhee aka Signora Ciana di Firenze
Joined RF: um...2006 I think, maybe late 2005???
Participation at Faire:  Playtron at Mayfaire, Derbyshire, Silverleaf, Michigan Renaissance Festival and looking forward to the new Charlevoix and Mid-Michigan Renaissance Festivals
Garbing Experience: I made an apron and a shirt in 9th grade home ec class then, after about a 30 year hiatus, I started sewing garb last spring starting with a camecia/chemise made from the instructions at Festive Attyre and a gown from the Simplicity "Ever After" pattern with a few changes to lean more toward accuracy and I haven't looked back! lol
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

LadyOren

Name:   Lady Oren
Board Title: Righinn Brogaireachd  (Lady Shoemaker)
Participation at Faire: Patron @ Mayfaire, Fishers, Danville, Meta Park, Stronghold, the list is growing :D
Garbing Experience:
Most of my garb I make myself.  I do have some garb from bartering with others. I've been sewing since teenage years, but never took it seriously until diving into the Faire world.  Now I do outfits for myself and for others along with my continuous leather shoe work, which is challenging and rewarding at the same time.  My outfits run from semi accurate to total fantasy.  Hey it's all in the name of comfort and fun for me.

Italian Style Garb

Fantasy Kick Hiney Garb
When I'm gone look for me beneath your boots, for I have returned to the ground from which I came.   Walt Whitman

PrincessSara

NAME:  Sara
Joined RF:  February 2007, I think
Board "title" :  None
Participation At Faire:  I attend Gregor's Crossing, Casa Loma, and hopefully this year FaeryFest and Bracebridge.  Former patron of the late Ontario Renaissance Festival.
Garbing Experience:  I started hand sewing as a teeny wee child with my grandmother who quilted.  I never got into it though until after my first summer at faire.  I started out with FaireWear for myself, my sister and her friends, then discovered a passion for historically accurate costume.  In the past two years I've been working on historically accurate outfits for the faires I attend with what seems to be success.  And I never leave a seam unfinished anymore! ;D

Pascal

Name:   Joey
Board Title: Pascal (originally a Cheesemaker, then an archer, then a ...)
Participation at Faire: Mainly TRF and LRF
Garbing Experience:  Made my first garb when my daughter needed a costume and my wife didn't have time to sew one.  I figured that I can read a manual, so gave it a try.  Was completely entranced by my efforts (Gee, this is easy!  I'm really good!) until it was picked to shreds by two shrews at TRF who pointed out every single mistake I made (and there was a bunch).  Ticked me off and I decided I wanted to learn how to be better.  Have pretty much given that up now -- goal is now not to be completely hopeless.  Generally just make garb for self, wife, and friends (Daughter is a now a teen-ager -- she won't be caught dead doing anything so uncool that her parents do it)

Baroness Doune

Name:  Baroness Doune
Joined RF:  April 2006
Board "title" :  None
Participation At Faire:  Playtron at various Midwest faires.  Home faire is MNRF 
Garbing Experience:   
I have been sewing since the early 70s.  I have been researching and making historic costume since 2002 for myself (please to note the ME FIRST!) and members of my family.  Any historical costuming from 1300 to 1945 interests me, but, right now, I am primarily focusing on the time periods 1300-1350, all of the 16th century, and 1730-1780. 

I suppose you could say I am a fanatic about corset and bodice fit.  I am the developer and hostess of The Bodice Workshop where I teach other ladies my method for fitting and making a corset or bodice that is reasonably historically accurate for the later half of the 16th century.  (Sir Doune has been trying very hard to convince his mother to turn the fitting techniques of The Bodice Workshop into a DVD.) 

Turn-ons:  Historical Accuracy.  I have a particular weakness for period portrait interpretations - the more the interpretation looks like the portrait, the better I like it.

I have a webpage where I detail my costuming adventures:
Karen's Sewing Korner:  The Costuming Obsession
I find it ever so helpful to remind me what I did the last time!

CountessofPhoenix

Name:Countess of Phoenix
Joined R/F: Last fall
Participation at Fair: Playtron at Scarborough and TRF
Garbing Experience:Began sewing at 14. Sewed costumes for my children for years, including several princess dresses and a mermaid. Started garbing for fair in '96 with daughters costume. Have intention to eventually have a booth at fair selling children's costumes and other handmade items. Sew all of my family's costumes not H/A but we all love them anyway. Gradually striving for more accuracy but financial constraints limit the amount I can spend. Have just been accepted into nursing school so my next 2 years will be focused on that. My husband Graybear is usually attired as a barbarian of sorts. Just look for the fat gray haired lady in red and chances are you'll find me!

Countess of Phoenix
Descendant of Celtic Nobility
Designer Extraordinaire
We are only limited by what we can dream

Cilean

Name:    Cilean Stirling At Your Service!
Joined RF: 2008

Favorite Garb: I adore 1560's to 1580's English/French, and 1480's to 1570's Italian City State clothing.  I

H/A or J/F: I tend towards Historically Accurate than Fantasy, but I dabble in fantasy when I can.

Participation at Faires: Interpretor for the Deaf as a Stage Interpretor for the larger Faires, with So Cal Faire mostly. I am a playtron now. I am also an SCA persona I have been invovled with the SCA for 24 years.

Garbing Experience: I began sewing when I got married and wanted awesome garb but had to live on a budget. I began with my first book and some basic cotton, next I was given help from some awesome people and just have been wrangling fabric ever since.

Upcoming Project:  A gown from a portrait of May Queen of Scots. I am currently working on a 'Summer Tourney Gown' for the SCA.

Cilean[/color]
Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Lady Anne Clare

Joined RF:   January 2008

Board "title" :  None

Participation At Faire: Paytron at the now closed down Ontario Renaissance Festival.  I'll be a paytron at Casa Loma this year.

Garbing Expereience: Very Novice.  I'm working on my second garb and I made pirate garb for my son for Halloween.  I've been technically sewing since 1991 while in junior high, but I was lucky I didn't sew my fingers together  :D.  About 5 years ago I decided I wanted to learn to sew the things I really liked so I bought a sewing machine and learned to sew again.
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)

escherblacksmith

Name:  Escherblacksmith
Joined RF:  Not certain . . . before April 2005
Board "title" :  Moderator (was Manacle maker to the Queen)
Participation At Faire: Participant at MNRF for roughly 15 years (CKC, Fencing booth, 12 years with MacGregor Games)
Garbing Experience: Have adjusted many things, made a few hats, hemmed a kilt (to keep from fraying).  Made a couple of scabbards and Baldrics.  Random bits of leather work, mostly adjusting ebay purchases.  Wife has done most of what makes me look good.
--

fluffy tail

R/F name Fluffy Tail
Board title: Royal Wine Taster, Tinker #2, and IWG #3371
Particpation at faire: Just a playtron. Been going for 8 years to TN. Went to KY last year and  GA this year.
Garbing experienceGrew up learning how to sew. If you wanted school clothes you made them. So the move to garb was rather easy. I've made my husband and my garb. My biggest challenge was a bodice from the directions from the old forum.

IWG #3371
Royal Wine Taster
Tinker #2
FOKTOP
landshark #38

Goodgirl

Greetings all!

Name:  Goodgirl
Joined RF:  I have been lurking for a while. Can't remember the date I began. Let's just say I am new. ;)
Board "title" :   None
Participation At Faire:  Playtron at various Midwest faires.  Home faire is KCRF 
Garbing Experience:   I have been making garb for about 5 years now.  I make garb for myself, my daughter and occasionally friends and family members.  I try to journal my sewing projects on http://goodgirl73.livejournal.com/ and post pics and blogs on goodgirl.renspace.com.  I hope to have a web site someday.
Current Project: Pirate garb.  I just finished my daughter's pirate garb and I need to complete mine and 2 other wee pirates before the fall. However, my "to do" list is quite large, including an Elizabethan gown, a medieval gown, some fantastical fairies for next year, and a Scottish ensemble. (the list goes on and on.)

Elennare

Name: Elennare
Joined: Late 2007?  I think?  Some time around there.  I was lurking for awhile before I actually signed up.
Participation at Faire:  Currently I am a playtron at the Washington Renaissance Fantasy Faire.  I have also been a vendor (gamer? I worked the balloon fencing booth) at MiRF, a playtron at the Marshall Mayfaire, and a show performer at the Saline Celtic Festival, the Howell Balloon Festival, the Bay City Tall Ships Festival, and a Celtic Festival I've forgotten the name of in Mo.
Garbing Experience:  Made a skirt with my Mom's help when I was a little kid.  Didn't touch sewing again until college, when I helped my Mom make my first set of garb.  The following summer, I made a shirt-the first think I had sewn by myself-without using a pattern.  Since then, I have only made one piece of clothing where I have not modified the pattern, or made my own pattern.  Most of what I have sewn has been garb (much more fantasy or "ren faire correct" as opposed to h/a) or halloween costumes, though I've been thinking about branching out into everyday wear clothes.  I also have a bad habit of not starting projects soon enough, which leads to unfinished hems and the like, but I'm starting to get better about that. :)

And one of these days, when I have successfully put fresh batteries in my camera, I may actually have pictures of me in garb.  The closest I have is the picture from my main intro, which is a sci-fi suit of armor I made (not reposting that here, cuz it's not on topic).
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Artemisia

NAME:  Artemisia Absinthium Moltabocca
Joined RF: 2006? Don't remember.
Board "title":  IWG #2847
Participation At Faire: Playtron. Last year I visited: PARF, NYRF, MIRF, MDRF and a few smaller faires. I also attend Pennsic.
Garbing Experience:  My mother was a good seamstress but I never touched a sewing machine until three years ago. Started with simple faire skirts and chemises, went to Pennsic and then I got the bug bad. I've made early Florentine gowns and am working on a venetian (see photo sans sleeves and hem). I've got a loooong "to sew" list which includes a woodland fae outfit, a later Florentine gown and a complete pirate outfit. I've also made my own beaver fur pouch and learned that metallic electrical tape gets guard hairs off a pelt in a snap!
Artemisia Moltabocca
You haven't had enough coffee unless you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Lady Rosalind

(I'll try to find a bigger image later...)

Name: Lady Rosalind Woodville, Viscountess of Hereford (was Elinore, but changed when the forums went bye-bye)
Joined: Summer of 2005, after a disasterous first faire garb... oh lordy disasterous... destroy-all-evidence-disasterous.
Participation at faire: Am part of "Have Court, Will Travel", the Royal Court at the Des Moines Renaissance Faire since 2006 (when it moved to a permanent location). We are also the court for the new Dubuque Faire (may 31, June 1 this year!!! Don't forget!!!!), and have worked both the Nebraska and Iowa Renaissance Faires with our Boy Scout troop crossbow booth since spring of '05 (missed NebFaire this month, due to scheduling weirdness). LOOOOOOVVVEEEEE FAIRE!!!!!!
Garbing Experience: Been sewing garb since Feb. of 2005. My first project was a bumroll, and then a farthingale. The dress that went with it has since been destroyed to protect the innocent (see above). My garb closet is stuffed, and I have an aversion to NOT making at least one new piece of garb for every fest I work at or attend (made a dress in a week for the Iowa Ren Faire earlier this month). I've got peasant, middle class, LOTR, pirate, and noble for both my son and myself (well, LOTR for my son), and have made garb for pretty much our whole boy scout troop. My current projects for myself include a new linen farthingale, a silver tafetta underskirt (just needs hemming), and various enhancements to my black noble gown, all of which need to be finished before Dubuque RF at the end of the month. Oh, and two christening gowns which need to be FINISHED and wrapped before this Saturday (no pressure there, or anything). A multitude of other projects are in the works, but unfortunately, a new noble gown for myself is not on the list...

Time to get back to sewing!!!!!!!