News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kilts Invented by an Englishman

Started by Magister, May 18, 2008, 11:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poldugarian Warrior

Speaking of Tartans and sur names being connected to them. Do any of you remember when Mike Meyers of Saturday Night Live fame would play a Scotsman running a store that sold nothing but Scottish made items, and a woman came in asking to purchase a Tartan for a Polish sur name/last name. That was quite funny. "And if it ain't Scottish it's crap." was his tag line. I just find it sort of silly to hi-jack another cultures customs to fit your own. I mean another cultures customs are great, sometimes, but they should be left as an identifier to that culture when too many customs in different cultures are assimilated the pure true originality of that custom gets lost in translation. So bottom line kilt is a great garment, but always remember the culture it came from.

SirRichardBear

America has been hi-jacking other cultures for two centuries.   Hi-jacking other cultures is American culture.  Think pizza, Tex-Mex, country and western music, Anime,  You name it Ameirca has taken to changed some things around and made it part of our own.   
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Poldugarian Warrior

True, right on. Alot of things we think as American are modified versions of things from other cultures. And again there are some things truly American.

DeadBishop

Remember, when you get right down to it, America is nothing but the melting pot of other cultures.  Other cultures are it's culture.   :)

R/F.com member since 2003

Poldugarian Warrior

Come to think of it our nation is actually named after an Italian cartographer. And it's this melding of all cultures that make it great. But, let us never forget the origin of our greatest that is due in the large part to the diverse cultures we have in this land. Huzzah! To all nationalities that have built this country and continue to contribute to its greatness.

jcbanner

some of these arguments I'm seeing here are on quite a stretch and I swear, some of the oposing veiws might be right but some of the reasoning is wrong.   <heres where teh rant kicks in> l ike the argument of "just because it was made by a nationality group that happened to be in a diffrent location, dosn't mean that the item belongs to that location"  bunk I tell you, atleast where an imigrant society is concerned atleast. if that argument was true, then there would be no American inventions.  Lets face it, just about every major creation that happened in the US was made by an imigrant who brought something from their homeland and modified it to work over here, or by their kids.

Yes, the kilt existed before the Scotsmen had come over here.  and I'm not going to claim that modern kilts were 1st made hhere,  BUT, if they had created a new garment, then that new garment would distinctively be an American style.  same as the modern axe.  Axes that ballence the weight over the handle were first created in New England. No one would ever claim the axe is an American invention, but we left our mark on it and turned it a compleatly diffent item.

/end rant

oh, that anime thing, yeah, not an American creation, American inspired yes, but not created.  when western comics started showing up in Japan, the Illistrators took the layouts and styles adn filled it in with the traditional ilistration styles.

back on topic though...   Really folks, why do people get so bent out of shape trying to figure out who created what and who does it belong to when you can look at a wider range of cultures over a long range of time and find that people moved around ALOT and NOTHING belonged to any one group of people?