News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Letter of Reprisal

Started by Obadiah Jib, August 27, 2009, 08:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obadiah Jib

If you decided to take up the trade as a privateer under which nation(s) would you be willing to sail?  From whom would you accept a letter of reprisal?
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Welsh Wench

Oh, definitely Wales!
They produced Henry Morgan and Bartholomew Roberts.  :D

After 1707 though it would have to be England since Wales merged with it.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Captain Jack Wolfe

If, IF, I had no other option, I'd sail for England (including Wales, as that country holds a special charm) or Portugal.  I have an axe to grind with Spain.  ;D

"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Taffy Saltwater

Ah, now, Madjack, mi familia dates back to at least the mid 1500's in old Espana.  I hope you will show me some professional courtesy should you ever find me sailing under red & gold; I will do the same, corazon.

The LandSharks sail under the flag of the Kingdom of GlenLivet.
Sveethot!

Captain Jack Wolfe

Never worry, Taffy!  I'll always show respect for a fellow pirata!
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Molden

Ixnay onna da rivateer-pa! Same-Same anny lettereses o' reprisal or marque. Dinna suit me it don't.

I be a solitary sort an' nary a joiner per se. I only latch on as long as it profits me  -  then on t' th' next.
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

THe Netherlands, them butterboxes were at war with everyone at one time or another.
And, once said Letter was in hand, I'd promptly chuck it it in the scupper and take what ever prizes come our way.

Or better yet, have the ships scrivner make a fair copy, with the country of choice filled in.  One for each, that way , I could fan them out like a full house in Vegas, when boarded by a superior vessel and 'say take yer pick! '  'Oh and by the way, you and yer boats crew are now being held as hostage for fair passage.'
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724